The Gold Ninja Video Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

On 5/13/2021 at 4:28 PM, Yihetuan said:

New title up for pre-order from their Eagle Claw Classics imprint. 3 disc limited edition set titled Jackiesploitation - A Treasury of Jackie Chan Inspired Rip-Offs and Copy Cats.

Jackie Chan changed action cinema.

And a lot of people tried to rip him off.

Gold Ninja Video is proud to present some of the best in this ten-movie collection of Jackie Chan imitators and copy cats that feature action movie legends like Angela Mao (DANCE OF DEATH) and Sammo Hung (THE INCREDIBLE KUNG FU MASTER) trying to replicate Jackie’s comedy kung fu success. Special features on this 3-Disc Set include three commentary tracks, video featurettes exploring the history of Simon Yuen (The Real Drunken Master), getting to the bottom of “Is Jackie actually in that movie?” and a new instructional video on how to construct your very own Jackie Chan fight scene at home! 

MOVIES INCLUDED ON THIS 3-DISC SET:

• MASTER WITH CRACKED FINGERS: A shameless hack job to capitalize on Jackie’s success that takes footage from Chan’s first film Cub Tiger of Kwantung and cuts it into new footage featuring Simon Yuen and a guy who’s supposed to be Jackie, but we only ever see the back of his head! 
  • CUB TIGER OF KWANTUNG: Jackie Chan’s first starring role! 
  • JACKIE CHAN’S 36 CRAZY FISTS: Jackie did a favour for his director friend Chen Chi-Hwa by choreographing this SNAKE IN THE EAGLE’S SHADOW clone - and the distributor went ahead and slapped Jackie’s name in the title, face on the poster, and crowbarred in some behind the scenes footage of Jackie in the opening! 
  • DANCE OF THE DRUNK MANTIS: Yuen Woo-ping directed  Jackie to stardom with SNAKE IN THE EAGLE’S SHADOW and DRUNKEN MASTER, so he tried to do it again, this time with one of his brothers in the starring role, in a film that is ten times wilder! 
  • DANCE OF DEATH: Angela Mao does the comedy kung-fu schtick and is fantastic at it, in a film choreographed by Jackie Chan! 
  • METHOD MAN: A jaw-dropping slice of Chansploitation about an acrobatic young man (Peter Chan) out for revenge  against the man who killed his family (Casanova Wong) 
  • MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING: It's chess. It's martial arts. Simon Yuen is there too! 
  • THE INCREDIBLE KUNG FU MASTER: All of the Hong Kong stuntpeople that weren’t involved got together and tried to re-create that Jackie magic! Starring action choreographer Stephen Tung, Sammo Hung and Philip Ko. 
  • TWO WONDEROUS TIGERS: Top-tier Jackie imitator John Cheung tries to win the heart of a young woman by fighting her entire family in a series of expertly choreographed duels.
  • HELLZ WINDSTAFF: Why get only a single Jackie clone if you can get two for the price of one? Co-starring one of Jackie’s most fearsome foes - Korean super kicker Hwang Jang-lee! 

SPECIAL FEATURES:

• Commentary on MASTER WITH CRACKED FINGERS by Jackie Chan obsessives Will Sloan and Justin Decloux 
  • Commentary on DANCE OF DEATH by Carlo Vanstiphout (Back Row Cinema Blog) and Justin Decloux
  • Commentary on THE INCREDIBLE KUNG FU MASTER by Alex Chung (Filmmaker and Stunt Artist) and Justin Decloux 
  • IS JACKIE IN THAT?: A Video Saga
  • THE ART OF PUBLIC DOMAIN MARTIAL ARTS VIDEO: A Video Exploration 
  • CHANTASTIC MADNESS: A Jackiesploitation Trailer Reel
  • SIMON YUEN - THE REAL DRUNKEN MASTER: A Video Essay 
  • A FUNNY PUNCH TO THE FACE - HOW TO SHOOT A JACKIE CHAN FIGHT SCENE (WITH ALEX CHUNG): A How-To Video 

Just snagged a copy of this and the amazing looking Kung Fu Wonderchild. I’m seriously amped. And, seriously sad that I missed out on Kung Fu Zombie. I was late to the parade on that one, but I am glad I made it in time for Thrilling Bloody Sword and these two.

@JDecloux, any chance of you guys laying your hands on that film print of Cub Tiger From Kwang Tung, or a film print of Kung Fu Wonder Child? Or Kung Fu Zombie? Or any other crazy vintage indie Asian action/fantasy films?

• Like 2

If could get a print of any of those, I would absolutely put them out again! But I am also trying to prioritize stuff that hasn't been released anywhere in its proper aspect ratio or in HD. 

I can say that I have one new scan being color corrected right now from the late 70s, and it's from a great director (who made very few martial arts films) and a star I truly love who is the best in his field. It has been released by German company in a very limited DVD edition (which I have not seen), but I think the HD bump up will introduce it to a whole new audience. 

And I also have a second print I'm getting ready to scan is also a modern film (like late 80s-early 90s), which is not considered a classic, but has enough great stuff in it to make it a cozy favorite. 

Both films are available on Youtube in many different variations, but have never been preserved in their proper 2:35:1 aspect ratio in HD. Both of them also give me the opportunity to a do a lot of fun special features. 

Edited by JDecloux
  • Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 1

39 minutes ago, JDecloux said:

If could get a print of any of those, I would absolutely put them out again! But I am also trying to prioritize stuff that hasn't been released anywhere in its proper aspect ratio or in HD. 

I can say that I have one new scan being color corrected right now from the late 70s, and it's from a great director (who made very few martial arts films) and a star I truly love who is the best in his field. It has been released by German company in a very limited DVD edition (which I have not seen), but I think the HD bump up will introduce it to a whole new audience. 

And I also have a second print I'm getting ready to scan is also a modern film (like late 80s-early 90s), which is not considered a classic, but has enough great stuff in it to make it a cozy favorite. 

Both films are available on Youtube in many different variations, but have never been preserved in their proper 2:35:1 aspect ratio in HD. Both of them also give me the opportunity to a do a lot of fun special features. 

Aw man, I’m super excited now! Can’t wait to find out!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JDecloux said:

You make us eager to know which title you are talking about !

So, we can already guess the star is a man (you said "in his field". Is the 70's movie a wuxia one or a punch and block one ?

And the 80's one, could it be a girls with guns one ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

Would you say any of them would rate as a Martial Arts film?

They are absolutely martial arts films - but they take place in the modern day when they were shot. The one in the 80s does have a girls with guns luminary in it. 

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

thundered mantis
On 3/15/2022 at 1:28 AM, JDecloux said:

They are absolutely martial arts films - but they take place in the modern day when they were shot. The one in the 80s does have a girls with guns luminary in it. 

Count me IN!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Less than a 100 copies of Kung Fu Wonder Child left. The easter egg movie is worth the purchase alone.

Screenshot_2022-03-16 (1) Gold Ninja Video ( GoldNinjaVideo) Twitter.png

Can’t wait for mine to get here!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Less than a 100 copies of Kung Fu Wonder Child left. The easter egg movie is worth the purchase alone.

Screenshot_2022-03-16 (1) Gold Ninja Video ( GoldNinjaVideo) Twitter.png

Each time I check this thread, someone talks about an easter egg. I know what are easter eggs in Easter period, but what it is in the case of Gold Ninja Video releases ? Are they bonuses movies and if so, where are thye hidden in the discs ?  ihaven't finished to watch the Jackies' 3 discs blu ray but I ddin't see any bonuses movies different from the ones mentioned on each disc...

• Like 2

When the menu pops up on a disc, hit right on your remote, and if it highlights the posters, hit enter again - which will take you to an intro letting you know there's a bonus secret movie not mentioned on the disc. 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2

21 hours ago, JDecloux said:

*wink* 

If you know what this is... Shhhhh... 

image.png.2f6f1bfc88d82269bf236ac7b3ce7e23.png 

oops, didn't see the "Shhhh...." part the first time. I edited my post to not give it away.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

As many of you already guessed, I'm putting THE IRON DRAGON STRIKES BACK out on Blu-ray in a disc that will be a love letter to Bruce Li... I know it was released on DVD in Germany, but this will be in a new 2K 1080p scan that will lovingly look like it had been playing at a grindhouse for a year (so a little on the brown side), and will feature a ton of featurettes and bonus movies dedicated to Ho Chung-tao.

Edited by JDecloux
  • Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 3

5 hours ago, JDecloux said:

As many of you already guessed, I'm putting THE IRON DRAGON STRIKES BACK out on Blu-ray in a disc that will be a love letter to Bruce Li... I know it was released on DVD in Germany, but this will be in a new 2K 1080p scan that will lovingly look like it had been playing at a grindhouse for a year (so a little on the brown side), and will feature a ton of featurettes and bonus movies dedicated to Ho Chung-tao.

Never heard of this movie but it looks great! I'll be more than happy to support this release once it comes out!

Are you planning to include a Chinese-language track on there with subtitles? According to HKMDB, the original language is Cantonese (not sure if that's true), but I could only find this Mandarin version:

• Like 1

Super Ninja
6 hours ago, JDecloux said:

I've never seen it and I don't know if it's any good, but I'm getting that. I'm not gonna repeat the same mistake I did with Thrilling Bloody Sword.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Golden arm said:

Are golden ninja discs  factory pressed or are they blu ray recordables?

They are not pressed because I don't do a 1,000 (the minimum for a press).  I use the most high quality discs you can get, and are considered longer lastin and less error prone then most pressed discs. 

Are you planning to include a Chinese-language track on there with subtitles? According to HKMDB, the original language is Cantonese (not sure if that's true), but I could only find this Mandarin version:

I'm not quite sure yet, but I'm leaning toward just the English track, because like you said, the only version out there is the Mandarin one and that's another dub. 

• Like 2

Shaolin Patriot

@JDecloux Looking forward to it! If the release is successful, I'd be anxious to see more Ho Chung-Dao films become available, particularly Last Strike and Lama Avenger. Granted that you can acquire some decent sources. I'd be happy to retire my current versions.

Edited by Shaolin Patriot