The Gold Ninja Video Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

Anyone sitting on the fence about getting TBS better act quick as only 30 copies remain before it's gone forever.

Screenshot_2022-01-09 Gold Ninja Video ( GoldNinjaVideo) Twitter.png

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 3

This rarity will go nicely on my shelf next to THE MAN WHO SAVES THE WORLD (aka Turkish Star Wars), another extremely limited edition Blu-ray of an absolutely insane cult classic. So looking forward to watching this for the first time!

• Like 4

Question to those who ordered Thrilling Bloody Sword : how long did it take to receive the disc ?

I ordered it before Christmas or just after, if I remember well, and I still haven't received anything...

• Like 1

sifu iron perm
29 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Question to those who ordered Thrilling Bloody Sword : how long did it take to receive the disc ?

I ordered it before Christmas or just after, if I remember well, and I still haven't received anything...

From the UK, i received mine in early december or so. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

It took two weeks, once shipped, to go from Toronto to Texas.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

You live in France right? Unless you paid for expedited international shipping (which would cost much more than the blu ray), I wouldn't worry about it. It can take up to a couple months to receive it from Canada Post.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I ordered mine on Nov 23rd. It started shipping on Dec 4th and arrived Dec 14th, from Canada to California. Not bad at all for a one-man operation. I assume it may take longer for overseas shipping unfortunately.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 10:42 PM, WaverBoy said:

This is now apparently sold out!

Seems so, I missed my chance. I've concentrated on Eureka, 88 and Arrow releases so sometimes I have to unwillingly pass on some of this minor releases, such a shame. I still have Drive, Death Promise, New York Ninja and a bunch of others in my wish cart, hope I'll get to buy them before they're gone.

@JDecloux Any hope of a couple more copies magically appearing? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My copy of THRILLING BLOODY SWORD just arrived today. Excellent scan of a 35mm print that’s got some nicks and scratches and vertical lines, but also gorgeous colors and good detail, and surprisingly legible burned-in subtitles. An authentic drive-in experience, which absolutely befits the film, which is non-stop jaw-dropping insanity! A legit cult item, the nightmarish love child of Snow White and Inframan — one of the best nutball film experiences you could ever hope for. And I didn’t realize Chiang Sheng was in this! Love that guy! Also, the thoughtful video extras produced by @JDecloux are extremely informative and most appreciated; loved his intro, his writer/director retrospective, his guide to Taiwanese psychotronic cinema, his interview with Jessica Tseang, and especially his crackerjack audio commentary with Tars, an additional film-length entertainment and genre film lesson in itself. And there’s even an eight page illustrated liner notes booklet! CRAZY, I tell ya! Took a quick flip-through look at the bonus feature (Incredible Kung Fu Mission) — didn’t look nearly as interesting as the main feature, but I guess that would be a pretty tall order; I’ll probably give it another go sometime, and it was awfully swell of Gold Ninja to include it. Love the cover art too. Just an excellent job all around. I’m sooooooo glad I was lucky enough to snag one of these! 🤓 

Thank you so much for this labour of love, Justin; I hope you have a couple more 35mm scans of obscure cult items in the pipeline!

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 9

tantao3-son of tantao2
4 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

My copy of THRILLING BLOODY SWORD just arrived today. Excellent scan of a 35mm print that’s got some nicks and scratches and vertical lines, but also gorgeous colors and good detail, and surprisingly legible burned-in subtitles. An authentic drive-in experience, which absolutely befits the film, which is non-stop jaw-dropping insanity! A legit cult item, the nightmarish love child of Snow White and Inframan — one of the best nutball film experiences you could ever hope for. And I didn’t realize Chiang Sheng was in this! Love that guy! Also, the thoughtful video extras produced by @JDecloux are extremely informative and most appreciated; loved his intro, his writer/director retrospective, his guide to Taiwanese psychotronic cinema, his interview with Jessica Tseang, and especially his crackerjack audio commentary with Tars, an additional film-length entertainment and genre film lesson in itself. And there’s even an eight page illustrated liner notes booklet! CRAZY, I tell ya! Took a quick flip-through look at the bonus feature (Incredible Kung Fu Mission) — didn’t look nearly as interesting as the main feature, but I guess that would be a pretty tall order; I’ll probably give it another go sometime, and it was awfully swell of Gold Ninja to include it. Love the cover art too. Just an excellent job all around. I’m sooooooo glad I was lucky enough to snag one of these! 🤓 

Thank you so much for this labour of love, Justin; I hope you have a couple more 35mm scans of obscure cult items in the pipeline!

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Best bluray release of classic martial arts film in 2021...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

33 minutes ago, tantao3-son of tantao2 said:

Thanks guys, rub it in. :tongueout

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wish we could know the Bruceploitation title apparently on widescreen HD for the first time ever and the old school kung fu barn burner on the Indiegogo campaign

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, De Ming Li said:

I wish we could know the Bruceploitation title apparently on widescreen HD for the first time ever and the old school kung fu barn burner on the Indiegogo campaign

I have a strange feeling the Bruceploitation title is going to feature the guy in your avatar.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

9 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Don't forget the Easter Egg film 'A Life of Ninja', accessible by highlighting the poster on the menu page per Yihetuan.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 2

58 minutes ago, tankaray said:

Don't forget the Easter Egg film 'A Life of Ninja', accessible by highlighting the poster on the menu page per Yihetuan.

Holy shit I had no idea! Thanks!! 🙏🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 1/12/2022 at 8:21 AM, tantao3-son of tantao2 said:

Ah, thanks! *glances over at the Joseph Kuo Box,  Arrow Shaw Bros Set, 88 Films Jackie Chan, Eureka Duel to the Death and the hundred other great releases that also came out this year* 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:01 AM, De Ming Li said:

The Brucesploitation I had on deck may be switching up to something that I'm very excited about because it's one of the actors best films, with a top shelf director. Still waiting to hear back if the print I scoped out hasn't disintegrated. 

Edited by JDecloux
  • Like 7

TheFlyingPanda

Watched My copy of Thrilling Bloody Swords this past weekend and had fun with this crazy flick. Great intro, good job on the scan and good to see Incredible Kung Fu Mission again. I just saw the Easter egg message and must check that out. :bs_martialgreeting:

• Like 3

On 1/11/2022 at 3:41 AM, Super Ninja said:

Seems so, I missed my chance. I've concentrated on Eureka, 88 and Arrow releases so sometimes I have to unwillingly pass on some of this minor releases, such a shame. I still have Drive, Death Promise, New York Ninja and a bunch of others in my wish cart, hope I'll get to buy them before they're gone.

@JDecloux Any hope of a couple more copies magically appearing? 

Anyone who missed out on TBS will be able to purchase the reprint by popular demand.

Screenshot_2022-01-20 Justin Decloux ( DeclouxJ) Twitter.png

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

So, at the recommendation of @JDecloux and his lovely Beginner’s Guide To Psychotronic Taiwanese Cinema, I just ordered a DVD of Vengeance Of The Phoenix Sisters (1968) on eBay, and threw in Fly Dragon Mountain (1971) as well, after watching a YouTube clip. Can’t wait! Justin, you and Nick (Tars) should collaborate on a book about Taiwanese psychotronic cinema! The world needs one!

Now: what’s the best version available of Challenge Of The Lady Ninja? The widescreen clips on your video look pretty good, and there’s a decent widescreen subtitled version uploaded to YouTube but the audio is slightly behind the action, a touch out of synch. Dammit, I gotta get a good copy of this film!

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 5

On 1/20/2022 at 7:26 PM, Yihetuan said:

Anyone who missed out on TBS will be able to purchase the reprint by popular demand.

Screenshot_2022-01-20 Justin Decloux ( DeclouxJ) Twitter.png

Thanks for the heads-up @Yihetuan. I'll still keep an eye for an original copy, that booklet seems like a must have. There's a copy on ebay, but going for 100$!

• Like 4

On 1/21/2022 at 3:26 AM, WaverBoy said:

So, at the recommendation of @JDecloux and his lovely Beginner’s Guide To Psychotronic Taiwanese Cinema, I just ordered a DVD of Vengeance Of The Phoenix Sisters (1968) on eBay, and threw in Fly Dragon Mountain (1971) as well, after watching a YouTube clip. Can’t wait! Justin, you and Nick (Tars) should collaborate on a book about Taiwanese psychotronic cinema! The world needs one!

Now: what’s the best version available of Challenge Of The Lady Ninja? The widescreen clips on your video look pretty good, and there’s a decent widescreen subtitled version uploaded to YouTube but the audio is slightly behind the action, a touch out of synch. Dammit, I gotta get a good copy of this film!

The best version of CHALLENGE OF THE LADY NINJA is probably floating on Youtube, because the Taiwanese Film Archives scanned a copy in widescreen and had it online for a while, and I heard people grabbed it, and that's what got uploaded.  I haven't watched in its entirety in that form, so it's a bummer to hear the audio is out of synch, and I also noticed, that the framing is incorrect (You can see the splice line every time there's a cut), but it's the best 'looking' version I know of. 

• Like 4