Fearless - Director's Cut (2006)

Guest carl douglas

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Compared to the 40 min difference between the dreadful theatrical cut of FEARLESS and the DC of FEARLESS, the DC of HERO is not nearly as different, but definitely worth having. Get the Edko version, NOT the Guang Dong Face versions.

I'm in total agreement. HERO was a fantastic film edited, but the d.c. was brilliant.

I can't remember the name of the company my version is from, but it came in a beautiful deluxe box with a nice book. But, during the movie the DVD distributor's name appears onscreen (partially over the image in the upper left hand corner if memory serves me correctly) quite a few times, and remains there for a while on each occasion. :mad: I was not happy about that. When you buy a deluxe, director's cut, collector's edition, you'd think the least you'd get is a pristine print that's free of logo adornment! Is that the GDF version you mentioned not to get?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WuxiaFan

Yes, the Guang Dong Face (GDF) versions have their logo flashing on and off throughout the entire film. On top of that, I found the transfer to be terrible. The Edko version is the pristine version you're looking for.

Killer Meteor
I don't like links from that site because the author of these comparisons (tom) is totally off the mark with his comments.

He's the same dude that said the two added scenes in the international cut (which explain why he is writing a calligraphy in one scene and also further develops how him being gone from his home town has affected those he knew) are inferior to a couple of more seconds of the girl playing the flute.

Really now...

If it's possible, just skim through that review and try to not take the comments seriously at all.

Or better yet just buy the DC and experience the movie for yourself. :)

Ah Gil me old mate! I should have know it was YOU!!!!

Guest Ab858

I got a bad disk from Best Buy. Before sending it out I tried my luck, took it back to Best Buy, told them the situation, got the replacement and had no problems.

I'd recommend exchanging it before sending it out. The chains will 100% accept a return with receipt....the product was faulty.

The Running Man

I just received my replacement disc. Has anyone here have?

Checked it really quick and although it has English subtitles come up during the English language portions (should have been removed seeing as though there is a legit SDH subtitle on the disc), the DVD does correct the small error on the Edko disc which reversed the order of two subtitle lines.

Anyway, even though it's obvious it wasn't going to be a problem, the English subtitles on the Director's Cut disc are legit. :)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

My local Best Buy never got the D.C of FEARLESS on it's supposed release date. WTF!?

Last Tuesday I saw it there finally. Despite already owning the import D.C. cut, and knowing about all the defectives I decided to grab one. Other than the stupid subs during the English dialogue :confused:, as Running Man mentioned, this is a beautiful set and fortunately, mine was free of any problems.

I hope everyone that received BS copies gets their replacements soon. I truly feel for all you fellow fans.

BTW, I had a nightmare last night that when I went to pick up Dragon Dynasty's new version of TAI CHI MASTER (comes out tomorrow) that it was full-frame, edited, and only had an English dub track with Harvey and Bob Weinstein doing all the voices themselves!:eek:

Mark Pollard
My local Best Buy never got the D.C of FEARLESS on it's supposed release date. WTF!?

I believe that once Universal caught wind of the error they put a hold on outgoing shipments because I know of at least one other store that never received the initial shipment either. Your report is the first I have seen that corrected discs have finally begun to go into circulation so that's good to know.

The Running Man

Just to repeat here:

I just received my replacement disc. Has anyone here have?

Checked it really quick and although it has English subtitles come up during the English language portions (should have been removed seeing as though there is a legit SDH subtitle on the disc), the DVD does correct the small error on the Edko disc which reversed the order of two subtitle lines.

Anyway, even though it's obvious it wasn't going to be a problem, the English subtitles on the Director's Cut disc are legit. :)

Mark Pollard

The following helpful info was posted as a comment to my article "FEARLESS Director's Cut ships with defective disc." I will try to confirm if it's true if I can find a corrected copy.

William Robinson Jul 30th, 2008 at 7:22 pm

To all that is looking to buy…..I just bought this last week and i have the right versions here is what to look for….before you open it look at the dvd spine there is a number right above the words dvd video. To tell if you have the right version there should be a small dot in front of that number and one behind it. If you dont see the dots dont buy it

I'm just curious has anyone else had any problems buying this DC of Fearless? I haven't heard anyone else complain about it so I was wondering if they fixed the problem and sent out the Correct DVDs.

Cujo Jenkens

I think they have by now.cause when it was first released,i went to wal-mart to get it,and of course it was defective,the next day i went back to get another one and they told me that they were all defective and they would get a new batch,that had the director's cut with it in 2 or 3 days. and when i went back i got it again and this time it had the director's cut.

so I'd bet they have fixed the problem everywhere by now.

I was one of the lucky ones to get the defective disc. (haha) But, my replacement disc arrived last week. I prefer the director`s cut over the previous versions that I have seen. I felt that it was a more complete film and was actually making the statement that Jet wanted it to make. The only thing that I did not like about the director`s cut was the ending theme song and the additional scene of Michelle Yeoh at the end. What was up with the rap song at the end? I had a flashback to the butcher jobs of Mirimax(e).

I was actually disappointed that the Jay Chou song was not on the theatrical cut. That song is the theme song for the movie.

OK I got to watch my D.C. of Fearless last night and all I can say is that it was Awesome! I really enjoyed how everything just flowed in this new version. The part with Michelle Yeoh was in the beginning was an introduction of Wushu to the Olympic committee, I actually thought she was in the main movie itself. I also enjoyed how they added all the fight scenes at the end of the movie instead of the beginning, I was also glad to see the fight with the Thai Boxer I thought that was a scene that needed to have been in the movie.

I'm just glad that the finally fixed the problem.

Guest WuxiaFan
OK I got to watch my D.C. of Fearless last night and all I can say is that it was Awesome! I really enjoyed how everything just flowed in this new version. The part with Michelle Yeoh was in the beginning was an introduction of Wushu to the Olympic committee, I actually thought she was in the main movie itself. I also enjoyed how they added all the fight scenes at the end of the movie instead of the beginning, I was also glad to see the fight with the Thai Boxer I thought that was a scene that needed to have been in the movie.

I'm just glad that the finally fixed the problem.

I also love the DC of FEARLESS. I bought the Edko (HK) version when it came out. It is how Ronny Yu intended the movie to be seen. When Michelle Yeoh's scenes were cut, Jet Li met her in person to to tell her before the film was released. I think the 4-on-1 fight scenes were supposed to be at the end based on how the entire story flows, but I could be wrong. I did not like the edited and cut theatrical version all at. The director's cut is practically a different movie all together. I agree with you on the fight scene with the Thai boxer--that's where we begin see Huo's transformation. It is a key scene. The other thing I love about FEARLESS is that most, if not all, of the stunt actors in the film were real martial artists! FEARLESS is a true martial arts masterpiece.

I heard that the fight scene with Jet Li and the thai boxer is longer in the Thai version but I've been searching everywhere for it with no luck... Until now. Good ol' youtube did the trick.

In my opinion, this longer fight scene adds more impact to the whole message of the film in that it properly makes further statement about cheating in fighting --- the Japanese fighter's associate deliberately wanting to poison a humble and spiritual man, who has just put his violent past behind him to bring peace to society, for the sake of not letting down a nation with the intent of invading and ruling neighboring countries.

Scene Comparison

FUUW8Icnlx0

-TbriNHCgXw

Archived