Fearless - Director's Cut (2006)

Guest carl douglas

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Running Man
I'm more curious to hear how people think of it compared with the US theatrical version. Is it better or worse?

It's A LOT better.

I'd rank them like this (from best to worst):

Director's Cut

International cut

Asian cut

:)

That B & B link was a nice summary

But Hmmmmm.

On the B & B site it says "Added scene: In the middle of the end credits, there's a second Yeoh scene. Utterly useless in my opinion, but interesting nonetheless: "

I don't agree with that at all. I think if you hear what Michelle said in that scene relative to what Jet said about Wushu in the movie you will agree.

Guest The Running Man
I don't agree with that at all. I think if you hear what Michelle said in that scene relative to what Jet said about Wushu in the movie you will agree.

I don't like links from that site because the author of these comparisons (tom) is totally off the mark with his comments.

He's the same dude that said the two added scenes in the international cut (which explain why he is writing a calligraphy in one scene and also further develops how him being gone from his home town has affected those he knew) are inferior to a couple of more seconds of the girl playing the flute.

Really now...

If it's possible, just skim through that review and try to not take the comments seriously at all.

Or better yet just buy the DC and experience the movie for yourself. :)

Just seen the Director's Cut and it is definitely better than the international cut in terms of the story and reinforcing the principles of Wushu.

I like the new scene when Jet Li disciplined his students. It was good to see that Ronny Yu did not include the final miss blow of the Thai fighter scene.

Guest EvilMantis

The director's cut was so much better, I really enjoyed it. Now, on a sort of unrelated note, about Michelle Yeoh....

....she looks like a totally different person. Am I mistaken? Didn't she used to look more, umm, ethnic? She appears to have gotten one of those Hollywood face-over jobs--new nose etc. Anyone?

Guest VenomsFan

Wait a minute! I thought the whole deal with Michelle Yeoh was that she was a character in the film who had training scenes with Jet Li, etc. Not a modern day activist pushing for Wushu in the olympics. Someone help me here.

Guest Markgway

Ach, bugger! I'm probably gonna have to buy this DC now. Just after I got the UK edition. :\ I friggin' hate that! I was secretly hoping that the DC would be a waste of time. :b

Guest limubai2000

Same here Mark, I bought the US edition with the nice slipcase in my local store on a whim, was pleasantly surprised with the deleted Thai fight scene and the extras.

Then within 3 weeks the DC is announced so I had to shell out an additional $18 for that!! Good thing I love this film soooo much!

:D

Now, on a sort of unrelated note, about Michelle Yeoh..

....she looks like a totally different person. Am I mistaken? Didn't she used to look more, umm, ethnic? She appears to have gotten one of those Hollywood face-over jobs--new nose etc. Anyone?

I went to the Hollywood premiere of "MemoirsOAG" at around 2005, and Yeoh was there along w/ Ziyi. They both arrived separately, I think. I remember Ms. Ziyi looking very beautiful. I could only barely see them there, however because of the almost usual situation w/ the photographers in the way. When the Internet showed photos of Michelle from this premiere, I guess that she did look a little different from "CTHD". I remember her looking different on an English language(?) magazine cover also, which was sold during the release of "MOAG".

However, when AZN-TV showed clips of her on the "Cinema AZN" show to promote "MOAG", she only looked slightly different from "before". But I don't remember her appearing on US TV that much during "MOAG"'s release. You said "...used to look more ethnic". So is that based on Yeoh's appearance in "MOAG", Ang Lee's movie, her HK movies until 1996, etc.?

It doesn't seem like a lot of people saw "The Touch" or "Silver Hawk", so I guess that includes you also. So you have to know that there's the break between the "Ah Kam:Stuntwoman"/"TomorrowND" movies and Ang Lee's "CTHD". In that Ang Lee movie, I did notice her looking slightly different from her movies that came before it. It also looks like not a lot of people saw 2005's "MOAG" either(which was a movie that I liked and saw in a theatre). So with the Ang Lee movie being her last that was widely seen, you'd know that she got older since then.

Guest EvilMantis

Somewhere between CTHD and now, I'm not sure when. Her face looks.....leaner, or something...tighter, like a face lift maybe? She looks completely different than she looked in Wing Chun movie. Just a guess.

Guest Markgway
Then within 3 weeks the DC is announced so I had to shell out an additional $18 for that!!

...and are you glad you did?

Is the DC seriously better or just longer?

Guest limubai2000

I wasn't really happy about that Mark, but since I love this film I overlooked that fact.

Yes the DC is better, it is a more complete film storywise. Like I said before, the DC only made me love it more.

Guest The Running Man
Is the DC seriously better or just longer?

It is "seriously better". It's not just more footage in the movie.

Best example is how the beginning of the movie differ from the international and Asian versions. In those versions, the movie starts with the three fights Jet Li has with the competitors. Never liked that even when I first saw the movie since you have no real context as to what is going on so it basically wastes these great set pieces without really caring for what is going on.

The DC takes those scenes, and smartly puts them at the end. This works FAAAAR better because now you have been led all the way up to that moment so you do give a damn and with more action at the end it makes the climax of the film far more exciting.

Guest Liu chung liang

what's all this talk about the director's cut? anyway, check out the news:

Huo Yuanjia descendant loses 'Fearless' lawsuit

Variety recently reported that Huo Shoujin, the 81-year-old grandson of wushu master Huo Yuanjia lost a lawsuit he filed against Jet Li and makers of FEARLESS for misrepresentation. Shoujin had claimed that the martial arts biopic was damaging his family’s reputation, particularly with regard to the film’s suggestion that through misconduct Yuanjia had caused the death of his mother and daughter. Beijing’s First Intermediate People’s Court ruled that the film “was an exaggerated and fictitious portrait of Huo, but not libelous or defamatory.â€

Guest limubai2000

That has been news for awhile LCL. I think it's an attempt to grab more money.

It might have been more appropriate for him to use the film's success to try and launch or license a more accurate TV series of his grandfather's exploits.

I agree with the court's ruling and I'm happy to see common sense reigned in this case.

As for the DC of Fearless, if you liked the film you will love the DC because the restored footage makes a far more complete story.

[Edit - Add]

Fearless was just nominated for 6 HK Film Awards. <gasp>

Best Film

Best Actor - Jet Li

Best New Actor - Sun Li

Best Action Choreography - Woo Ping

Best Original Film Song - Jay Chou (also for Curse)

Best Sound Director - Richard E. Yawn

Curse of the Golden Flower and Battle of Wits were nominated for a pile of awards also.

kungfusamurai

Thanks for that info on the US release. Funny how the product description puts in all caps "JET LI'S FINAL MARTIAL ARTS PERFORMANCE". I guess it was someone else named Jet Li in Forbidden Kingdom. :)

KFS

Morgoth Bauglir

Well I think that when it came out in theaters they said it was his last MA movie so that more people would go see it, which to me isn't a bad thing that they lied, because Fearless is a movie that everyone needs to see. And now it's nice to see the director's cut coming to the US, though I dont know why they are holding on to that thing about it being his last MA movie.

The Dragon

It's supposed to be his last MA EPIC. I guess meaning he will no longer do the Wong Fei Hung, and traditional period films.

:P

daisho2004

I want to know if the Directors Cut has all the Tournament fight scenes at the End of the Movie instead of the beginning can someone tell me if it does?

Archived