What's your opinion on Tai Seng dvd releases?

Iron_Leopard

9 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

And just in case we have new people on here who haven't read Cool Ass Cinema's epic 7 part Ric Meyers piece, then please educate yourselves. It's quite a read, you gotta buckle down for a while, but it is definitely worth it.

http://www.coolasscinema.com/2012/03/tao-of-ric-true-lies-fistful-of.html

Those pictures with him with those  female cosplayers are creepy asf.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SpartainX said:

Those pictures with him with those  female cosplayers are creepy asf.  

There was an epic thread on here over a decade ago lampooning Ric that would make you laugh your ass off, I need to see if I can find it if it wasn't lost...

• Like 3

@Iron_Leopard  I just did a quick list of the Ocean Shores titles that I have on a shelf (I have some in boxes that I can't get to).

I listed the audio that is stated, also I haven't watched them in years so not sure of the quality or audio

The ones stating that they have audio commentary are highlighted.

99 Cycling Swords : English

Angel Terminator: Cantonese/Mandarin

The 13 Cold-Blooded Eagles:  Cantonese/Mandarin

A Life of Ninja: English – Ric Meyers commentary

Armageddon: Cantonese/Mandarin

The Assasin: English/Mandarin/Cantonese/Vietnamese – Ric Meyers & Bobby Samuels commentary

Beauty Investigator: English Dubbed

Book & Sword: English/Cantonese/Mandarin

Book & Sword- The Final Battle: English/Cantonese/Mandarin

The Bone Crushing Kid: English

The Bride With White Hair: English/Cantonese/Mandarin – Ronny Yu commentary

The Bride With White Hair 2: English/Cantonese/Mandarin

The Bride With White Hair 2: Cantonese/Mandarin

The Buddhist Fist: English/Cantonese/Mandarin

Challenge of Death: English

Colour of the Truth: Cantonese/Mandarin

Deadful Melody: English/Cantonese – Ric Meyers commentary

The Deadly Sword: English

Death Duel of Kung Fu: English

Descendant of Wing Chun: English

Dirty Kung Fu: English

Dragon Inn: English/Cantonese/Mandarin – Ric Meyers commentary

Dragon Inn: Cantonese/Mandarin

Dreaming Fists With Slender Hands: English

The Duel: English/Cantonese/Mandarin – Ric Meyers commentary

Eagle’s Claw & The Butterfly Palm: English

The End of the Wicked Tiger: English

Fist Power: Cantonese/Mandarin

Flash Future Kung Fu: English

He Has Nothing But Kung Fu: English

Hit Man In The Hands OF Buddha: English

Kung Fu’s Hero: English

Inheritor of Kung Fu: English – Ric Meyers & Bobby Samuels commentary

Iron Lion: Cantonese/Mandarin

Killers Romance: English

Kung Fu Emperor: English - Ric Meyers & Bobby Samuels commentary

The Last Duel: English

The Leg Fighters: English

Legend of Bruce Lee (Chinese Chieh Chuan Kung Fu): English

Legend of the Drunken Tiger: English

Legend of Gingko: Cantonese/Mandarin/No English Subs

The Magnificent Fist” :English

The Master of Death: English - Ric Meyers & Bobby Samuels commentary

The Master Swordsman Returns: English/Cantonese/Mandarin

The Moon Warriors: Cantonese/Mandarin

One Night In Mongkok: Cantonese/Mandarin

One Arm Hero: Cantonese/Mandarin/Vietnamese

Nothing! Nothing! Nothing!:  Cantonese/Mandarin

Ninja vs Shaolin Guard: English

Ninja in the USA: English

Ninja in the Deadly Trap: English - Ric Meyers & Bobby Samuels commentary

My Schoolmate the Barbarian: Cantonese/Mandarin – Ric Meyers commentary

Revengeful Swordswoman: English

Running on Karma: Cantonese/Mandarin

Running out of Time: English/Cantonese/Mandarin – Lauren Courtiaud/Julien Carbon/Stefan Hammond commentary

Running out of Time 2: Cantonese/Mandarin

Secret of Tai Chi: English

The Shaolin Drunken Monk: English – Ric Meyers commentary

Shaolin vs Evil Dead: Cantonese/Mandarin

The Super Ninja: Ninja

Super Kung Fu Kid: English

The Suspect (Ringo Lam): English/Cantonese/Mandarin

The Three Swordsmen: English/Cantonese/Mandarin

Treasure Hunt (Chow Yun Fat): English/Cantonese/Mandarin

The Victim: English - Ric Meyers & Bobby Samuels commentary

The Young Avenger: English

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

actionfan93

the only Tai Seng Release I have is Beauty Investigator and it is bad quality especially at the end where Yukari and Moon team up it goes from great color to black and white I hope 88 films,Eureka or another company picks up and gives Beauty Investigator,Angel, and the other girls with guns that deserve better quality the releases they deserve as they've done with the Jackie Chan films

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
4 hours ago, thekfc said:

The Super Ninja: Ninja

Ninja is my favourite kind of audio! :tongueout

I can't really speak for Tai Seng's HK martial arts DVD releases, but we do have them to the thank for releasing some real deep cuts of 90's Korean martial arts cinema.

Stuff like 'Killing Game' and 'Underground', DTV action flicks of Korea's VHS era, didn't have a release anywhere outside of the Korean unsubtitled VHS until Tai Seng put them out.  They also released the 2002 actioner 'Quick Man'.

The same applies for drama's, 'Timeless, Bottomless' remains heavily cut in Korea and has never made it to domestic DVD, and Tai Seng also gave a legitimate release to the controversial 'Yellow Hair'.

They did take a few missteps though, with releases like 'The Foul King' and 'Legend of Gingko' bizarrely lacking the original Korean language track, and only containing the Cantonese or Mandrain dub tracks.

• Like 5

Killer Meteor
2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

They did take a few missteps though, with releases like 'The Foul King' and 'Legend of Gingko' bizarrely lacking the original Korean language track, and only containing the Cantonese or Mandrain dub tracks.

Probably a repackaging of a Hong Kong DVD?

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

Probably a repackaging of a Hong Kong DVD?

It’s possible. Was it normal for HK DVD’s around the start of the millennium to remove the original language track from any non-HK movies?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CT KID said:

There was an epic thread on here over a decade ago lampooning Ric that would make you laugh your ass off, I need to see if I can find it if it wasn't lost...

Now you got me curious about it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

And it should only be listen to in Dolby Surround Sound. :yociexpress01:

21 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I was so disappointed with the release of  Legend of Gingko, I saw the trailer on one of the Korea TV stations (I think it was KBS) and it went to the top of my list. I saw the DVD and immediately bought it.  I went home and place it in the player and BAM!, no English subs or original language. :angry  

A little while later I did manage to find a release with Korean audio & English subs.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:16 PM, actionfan93 said:

the only Tai Seng Release I have is Beauty Investigator and it is bad quality especially at the end where Yukari and Moon team up it goes from great color to black and white

Where/what part did in go from color to B & W?

I haven't watch the Tai Seng disc in ages but I just gave it a quick pop in the player and the part at the end where Yukari was fighting Sophia, Moon was fighting Choi & they both team up to fight Choi were all in color on mine.

• Like 1

actionfan93
14 hours ago, thekfc said:

And it should only be listen to in Dolby Surround Sound. :yociexpress01:

I was so disappointed with the release of  Legend of Gingko, I saw the trailer on one of the Korea TV stations (I think it was KBS) and it went to the top of my list. I saw the DVD and immediately bought it.  I went home and place it in the player and BAM!, no English subs or original language. :angry  

A little while later I did manage to find a release with Korean audio & English subs.

Where/what part did in go from color to B & W?

I haven't watch the Tai Seng disc in ages but I just gave it a quick pop in the player and the part at the end where Yukari was fighting Sophia, Moon was fighting Choi & they both team up to fight Choi were all in color on mine.

it went between black and white and color when Yukari was mostly fighting Sophia and a few times where Moon fights Choi either black and white or the color is so bad you can't tell Sophia's wearing red and Yukari's wearing white and purple I am hoping a high quality uncut Blu-ray with English Dub of Beauty Investigator will be a future release whether it be 88 films,Eureka or some other company

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 10:03 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

I can't really speak for Tai Seng's HK martial arts DVD releases, but we do have them to the thank for releasing some real deep cuts of 90's Korean martial arts cinema.

Stuff like 'Killing Game' and 'Underground', DTV action flicks of Korea's VHS era, didn't have a release anywhere outside of the Korean unsubtitled VHS until Tai Seng put them out.  They also released the 2002 actioner 'Quick Man'.

The same applies for drama's, 'Timeless, Bottomless' remains heavily cut in Korea and has never made it to domestic DVD, and Tai Seng also gave a legitimate release to the controversial 'Yellow Hair'.

If memory serves me correct, Tai Seng did release a number of Korean films with the original Korean audio till they got hit with cease and desist letters because they did not own the U.S. rights to the Korean audio. I recall reading about this back around the years of 2003/2004 on some DVD reviews on KFC Cinema (www.kfccinema.com). This resulted in later DVD presses of films such as Sword in The Moon (where the initial DVD presses did have Korean audio) only having the Cantonese and Mandarin audio tracks on their DVD's

I always found this amusing, as Tai Seng was infamous for "strong arming" Asian video stores (such including my aunt's defunct video store) in the U.S. back in the days to ensure each store was carrying official Tai Seng products (including TVB series) rather than bootlegs. This is why Tai Seng VHS that were aimed at the Asian American markets (whether it was the Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, etc.) contained the infamous spot "To Report Video Tape Piracy in Your Area, Please Call Toll Free Number xxx-xxx-xxxx. All Information Will Be Confidential". I recall my aunt telling me how Tai Seng would sue any store found carrying TVB series or Hong Kong movies obtained through other means (such as the owner renting the movies/series from other stores, copying the VHS themselves, and renting/selling these homemade copies out themselves). 

• Like 5

One Armed Boxer
27 minutes ago, wuxiaman said:

If memory serves me correct, Tai Seng did release a number of Korean films with the original Korean audio till they got hit with cease and desist letters because they did not own the U.S. rights to the Korean audio. I recall reading about this back around the years of 2003/2004 on some DVD reviews on KFC Cinema (www.kfccinema.com). This resulted in later DVD presses of films such as Sword in The Moon (where the initial DVD presses did have Korean audio) only having the Cantonese and Mandarin audio tracks on their DVD's

I always found this amusing, as Tai Seng was infamous for "strong arming" Asian video stores (such including my aunt's defunct video store) in the U.S. back in the days to ensure each store was carrying official Tai Seng products (including TVB series) rather than bootlegs. This is why Tai Seng VHS that were aimed at the Asian American markets (whether it was the Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, etc.) contained the infamous spot "To Report Video Tape Piracy in Your Area, Please Call Toll Free Number xxx-xxx-xxxx. All Information Will Be Confidential". I recall my aunt telling me how Tai Seng would sue any store found carrying TVB series or Hong Kong movies obtained through other means (such as the owner renting the movies/series from other stores, copying the VHS themselves, and renting/selling these homemade copies out themselves). 

I remember those days thanks to being a frequent customer of the now defunct HKFlix, and probably around that same time (2003/2004), on the domestic releases of many Korean and Hong Kong flicks they started coming with the disclaimer that such titles couldn't be shipped to the US due to Tai Seng holding the rights to them. Thankfully I've never lived in the US so it wasn't a disclaimer that affected me, but especially for some of the Korean releases, they used to go all out on pimping their DVD's with boxes, books, postcards etc, so I always used to think how much it would suck if your only option was to purchase a vanilla Tai Seng DVD.:tongueout

Speaking of HKFlix, if you want a real trip down nostalgia road, here's an interview that @mpm74 conducted with the founder back in 2011 shortly after the site went offline for good -

https://cityonfire.com/original-founder-of-hkflix-com-speaks-out/

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I remember those days thanks to being a frequent customer of the now defunct HKFlix, and probably around that same time (2003/2004), on the domestic releases of many Korean and Hong Kong flicks they started coming with the disclaimer that such titles couldn't be shipped to the US due to Tai Seng holding the rights to them. Thankfully I've never lived in the US so it wasn't a disclaimer that affected me, but especially for some of the Korean releases, they used to go all out on pimping their DVD's with boxes, books, postcards etc, so I always used to think how much it would suck if your only option was to purchase a vanilla Tai Seng DVD.:tongueout

Speaking of HKFlix, if you want a real trip down nostalgia road, here's an interview that @mpm74 conducted with the founder back in 2011 shortly after the site went offline for good -

https://cityonfire.com/original-founder-of-hkflix-com-speaks-out/

When I went to Korea, I bought a number of Korean edition Blu-Rays of Hong Kong films due to the awesome packaging and whatever came with it. :smile

I recall reading that interview shortly after it was published. What a memory trip!

• Like 5

I have a few Tai Seng DVDs such as No Problem 2 and Kickboxer's Tears. IMO they are decent enough, not much in the way of special features and such but I find the quality to be a better than many of the other DVDs in my collecion by other companies.

It's also fun to see the love of Ric making another appearence :P

• Like 5

On 7/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

Damn. Someone is gonna have to make a thread "Standing Up for Ric Meyers".

Not sure there's enough beer for that to ever happen. Cause, someone would have to be really drunk to "stand up for Ric". He works best on uneducated Americans. Anyone with any knowledge of HK cinema knows more than him. But, hey, at least he got to hob-nob his way into the outer-inner circle with being a part of that HK to Hollywood craze that happened right after The Matrix was a huge hit. The only sad thing, some of his stuff in Asian Trash Cinema magazine wasn't so bad; decently written articles on Asian cinema. It wasn't until people could actually listen to him speak (and infamously mispronounced names, etc and what he was saying that he started to getting the bad reputation he has now. Of course, the one thing that some folks missed was that his perception of things was from an American perception. So, he was never an insider like Bey Logan was. At least Bey was actually on set and new a lot of the starts personally; was around the folks that were making martial arts films during the 90`s. I might be mistaken but Ric only made the Hollywood circles so he got to meet JC and others when they came to Hollywood. Too bad how things turned out for Bey but he was the real "insider" and was everything that Ric thought he was. Yeah, good self promoter though. Met him once.   

• Like 5
  • Confused 1