What's your opinion on Tai Seng dvd releases?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

The only ones I have are "Moon Warriors", "Butterfly and Sword" and "New Dragon Inn".

I dont think any of these have been remastered. The picture quality is just a notch above VHS. The sound is about the same.

Are there any films they released on dvd that you really liked? 

• Like 1

Yes, I have Throwdown.  The Duel.  Fist of Fury the Prequel.  Fist of Fury tv series second half.  Kung Fu Master.  Revenge of the  Kung Fu Master.  Dragon Tiger Gate.  Killers Romance.  Wing Chun aka Yong Chun.   Crystal Hunt. Real Kung Fu.

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

Always avoided them as much as possible. Most of them were repackaged HK disc, slapped with a Tai Seng sticker and a huge price hike.... scheisters.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
2 minutes ago, SpartainX said:

Yes, I have Throwdown.  The Duel.  Fist of Fury the Prequel.  Fist of Fury tv series second half.  Kung Fu Master.  Revenge of the  Kung Fu Master.  Dragon Tiger Gate.  Killers Romance.  Wing Chun aka Yong Chun.   Crystal Hunt. Real Kung Fu.

Tai Seng had a DTG release? I didn't know that. Mine is by Delta Mac. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Tai Seng had a DTG release? I didn't know that. Mine is by Delta Mac. 

Yeah.....Ric Meyers spends half the time whining about why it's not a good movie in a commentary with Frank Djeng who formerly worked in Taiseng.  Blah Blah, making some mistakes left and right, calling Donnie a control freak and why it's not a very good Donnie flim.

Edited by SpartainX
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Iron_Leopard
14 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Always avoided them as much as possible. Most of them were repackaged HK disc, slapped with a Tai Seng sticker and a huge price hike.... scheisters.

I have a Tai Seng catalog inside my Moon Wartoors dvd case and theres over a hundred dvds in it. It also says every movie comes with a commentary. That's pretty impressive considering most of these movies I've never even heard of. I wonder if at the time commentaries were rare and that's why they priced the dvds so high.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 minute ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I have a Tai Seng catalog inside my Moon Wartoors dvd case and theres over a hundred dvds in it. It also says every movie comes with a commentary. That's pretty impressive considering most of these movies I've never even heard of. I wonder if at the time commentaries were rare and that's why they priced the dvds so high.

I hiiiiighly doubt they all came with commentaries. I have, against my better judgement, about ten or so TS releases on my shelf and more that I traded away back in the day.... not a single one had a commentary or any extras to speak of aside from maybe an original trailer and some databank info.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
45 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I hiiiiighly doubt they all came with commentaries. I have, against my better judgement, about ten or so TS releases on my shelf and more that I traded away back in the day.... not a single one had a commentary or any extras to speak of aside from maybe an original trailer and some databank info.

Well "Moon Warriors" and "Butterfly and Sword" have commentaries by Ric Meyers. But they both appear to be US releases. 

My "Dragon Inn" release I think is a Chinese or HK release cause not only does it not have a commentary but it is the only one of three that doesn't have an English dub.

I got all three of these at Suncoast back in the day.

20200723_192049.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SpartainX said:

Yeah.....Ric Meyers spends half the time whining about why it's not a good movie in a commentary with Frank Djeng who formerly worked in Taiseng.  Blah Blah, making some mistakes left and right, calling Donnie a control freak and why it's not a very good Donnie flim.

I remember from that track Frank Djeng calls him out on something obvious and says “well, of course...” to which Rick responded “what do you mean of course?!”  They kept it light, but I thought that was funny.

• Like 2

Iron_Leopard
8 minutes ago, massa_yoda said:

I remember from that track Frank Djeng calls him out on something obvious and says “well, of course...” to which Rick responded “what do you mean of course?!”  They kept it light, but I thought that was funny.

Ric doesn't like Donnie?

10 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Ric doesn't like Donnie?

My example wasn’t specifically about Donnie. I think Ric had asked a question about what language they shot in or something and Frank said “of course they shot in Cantonese”.  I don’t remember specific Donnie bashing. It actually wasn’t a bad track, they had a third person on it (forget his name) who was familiar with the original comics and could point out the similarities and big changes.  

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
17 minutes ago, massa_yoda said:

It actually wasn’t a bad track

Don't see how that's possible with Ric in the room.

• Like 2

Iron_Leopard
51 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Damn. Someone is gonna have to make a thread "Standing Up for Ric Meyers".

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Well, don’t get me wrong, it would have been better without him, but the other guys bring some actual knowledge to the table.  It’s like the Police Story commentaries with Bey Logan and Brett Ratner, you know there’s good stuff there, but you have to wade through the occasional nonsensical comment here and there. 

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 minute ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I would encourage that.... would love to see anyone come up with a defense for that guy.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 minute ago, massa_yoda said:

It’s like the Police Story commentaries with Bey Logan and Brett Ratner

Detested that one.... tapped out after 30 min. or so... never went back.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Detested that one.... tapped out after 30 min. or so... never went back.

I cannot stand  Ratner.  I cannot bear to listen to the audio commentary without getting a headache.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

The day someone does, the day flying rats start flying thru the skies.  The can't even say Sensei right.  He kept saying Sensai in some parts of The Throwdown commentary.  Ill take Mike Leeder over Myers anyday.

• Like 3

There's a longtime circulating rumor that Ric Myers was the one that convinced Ocean Shores to convert the original aspect ratio on their films to fullscreen.

Edited by venom10463
  • Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
5 minutes ago, venom10463 said:

There's a longtime circulating rumor that Ric Myers was the one that convinced Ocean Shores to convert the original aspect ratio on their films to fullscreen.

I'm a bit doubtful on that one, but when he plugged the Martial Arts Theater DVD line he honestly praised the watermark they slapped on screen every 20 minutes and proclaimed that "glorious fullscreen" (exact quote) was the only way to enjoy these classics. What a fucking tard.

• Like 3

Don't know about most of their dvds, but I remember Tai Seng's Last Hurrah for Chivalry on laser.  I really liked the English translation for that and was hoping they would include it on the dvd release; sadly this was not the case.

• Like 2

Omni Dragon
8 hours ago, venom10463 said:

I'd guess it probably has more to do with fullscreen being, not exclusively but generally, the standard practice for home video in the CRT TV era than Ric Myers.

Edited by Omni Dragon
  • Like 1