Standing up for the Venoms

TibetanWhiteCrane

Great piece on the Venoms.

Based on how many times I've watched them, they are my favorite sub-set of martial arts films. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for the acrobatic routines like in Crippled Avengers, but overall there is something about them that I like. Must be the combination of all the elements.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I'd like to have seen the Venoms actors get some solo films, which might have helped them get more attention locally.

When I read this, the first image that popped into my head was the Kiss solo albums but with the Venoms faces/masks instead. In @KUNG FU BOB style!

• Like 7

HeavenSword

Some of the venom flicks were great . Kid With The Golden Arm and Invincible Shaolin are my two favorites .  Kid With The Golden Arm was the first venom flick I saw so that’s a special one . I’m probably the only person who’s favorite Venom is Wei Pai lol ( him and Lu Feng ) 

• Like 7

I also appreciate Wei Pai. The only movie in which I didn't like him was The cheeky chap. I also have some series in which he is great.

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

I can't stand Wei Pai, I just find him utterly unlikable. In Five Venoms that sort of works in his favor for the role he plays, but yeah, Kid With the Golden Arm... so annoying. Invincible Shaolin, not too bad, but my least favorite character in that. Magnificent Butcher... tolerable. Last Hurrah for Chivalry... probably his best, but would have preferred almost any other actor (even though I can't think of one from the GH line-up that would fit the role right now), Cheeky Chap, insufferable. Young Master, massive douche chills. Phantom Killer, just all around boring and unappealing. Prodigal Son, not needed.

So yeah... not exactly a fan.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2020 at 8:35 AM, ShawAngela said:

I also appreciate Wei Pai. The only movie in which I didn't like him was The cheeky chap. I also have some series in which he is great.

There is not much information floating around on Wei Pai.  I know his film career was rather short, and by the time the 70s were gone, so was he.  It was said that he preferred the drama roles over martial arts and on some level was difficult to work with on the set.  To what degree was this true, I don't know.  He was not among the more physically gifted practitioners, but decent enough to hold a film.

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 6

Secret Executioner

Only saw a handful of their films, but thoroughly enjoyed them. The action and some of the character development are great.

My favorite overall would be Lu Feng, probably because of that piece of art from @KUNG FU BOB that I have on my wal... :tongue:

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

It's alarming to look at Chiang in his Shaw hey-day, looking barely 18 when he was pushing 30, and to realise he would be dead only a decade later.

• Like 6

On 12/21/2020 at 10:23 PM, Killer Meteor said:

It's alarming to look at Chiang in his Shaw hey-day, looking barely 18 when he was pushing 30, and to realise he would be dead only a decade later.

What were the circumstances around his death? Just a heart attack?

• Like 2

On 12/29/2020 at 7:21 AM, Killer Meteor said:

I think it was alchohol induced.

He became a heavy drinker prior to his death due to depression from not being able to get a steady job in his final years, so I'm sure alcohol induced his heart attack.

• Like 3

On 1/7/2021 at 7:14 PM, wuxiaman said:

He became a heavy drinker prior to his death due to depression from not being able to get a steady job in his final years, so I'm sure alcohol induced his heart attack.

You're right, plus the fact that family problems made things worse for him.  I heard it was Ricky Cheng Tien Chi who found Chiang's body a few days afterward. 

• Like 3

On 1/12/2021 at 8:52 PM, morpheus said:

You're right, plus the fact that family problems made things worse for him.  I heard it was Ricky Cheng Tien Chi who found Chiang's body a few days afterward. 

I remember reading about that. Very tragic.

• Like 1

I have the same on a tshirt that was made and sold on a site by a member of the forum. I wanted to buy another one but I can't find it anymore

• Like 3