7 great Asian Martial Arts films of the last decade

Iron_Leopard

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Not one Hong Kong movie mentioned. How much further can they fall?

https://asianmoviepulse.com/2020/07/7-great-asian-martial-arts-movies-of-the-latest-years/

While HK MA films don’t seem to be in a great place exactly, don’t forget that article is simply an opinion...

I guarantee you Kung Fu Jungle or Ip Man 3 are as good as any of the films there (I haven’t seen Ip Man 4) 

I haven’t seen a couple of these but I have seen SPL 2 and I wouldn’t call that wire mess great.

TibetanWhiteCrane

There really is no more "Hong Kong" cinema as such. That died in the 00's or at the latest, the early 10's. It's Chinese cinema now.

thundered mantis

Besides SPL 2 (a couple of OK fights and a shameful end fight, nothing to write home about, in my book), and Born (which I liked more than SPL2, but I would rate or refer to as "solid" rather than "outstanding", and the two Iko Uwais films, the other ones slipped under my radar. Mrs K, Jailbreak and Broken Sword Hero. Are ony of those three any good? I do not have a lot of faith in the reviewer as he compliments too much the films I know of.

ShaOW!linDude
On 7/14/2020 at 3:30 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

Not one Hong Kong movie mentioned. How much further can they fall?

https://asianmoviepulse.com/2020/07/7-great-asian-martial-arts-movies-of-the-latest-years/

Dude, that article's first and last movies are HK films. Granted, they aren't the kind of HK films like we think of (because they ain't making those in China anymore), but they are cited as HK films.

ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

Mrs K, Jailbreak and Broken Sword Hero. Are ony of those three any good? I do not have a lot of faith in the reviewer as he compliments too much the films I know of.

Can't speak to Mrs K but I've been curious to see it. 

Jailbreak is a B grade Raid movie. Some solid action in that. Definitely worth seeing, but that's me.

Broken Sword Hero is a massive wasted effort. Horrendous movie. Overly long. There is only one good fight I remember, the rest are awful.

thundered mantis
8 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Can't speak to Mrs K but I've been curious to see it. 

Jailbreak is a B grade Raid movie. Some solid action in that. Definitely worth seeing, but that's me.

Broken Sword Hero is a massive wasted effort. Horrendous movie. Overly long. There is only one good fight I remember, the rest are awful.

Thank you @ShaOW!linDude, I´ve watched the trailer of BSH and I thought it looked quite bad. The guy´s the real deal, but that not necessarily makes a good movie. Will look for Mrs K and Jailbreak

ShaOW!linDude
1 hour ago, thundered mantis said:

Thank you @ShaOW!linDude, I´ve watched the trailer of BSH and I thought it looked quite bad. The guy´s the real deal, but that not necessarily makes a good movie. Will look for Mrs K and Jailbreak

Yeah, if you watch any footage of his actual ring fights, the guy is phenomenal. He would be a good screen fighter, too. BSH is just a bad movie. Maybe he'll get a better showcase at some point.

If that article covers the whole of the 2010s then there's several movies missing. But then again, this is all subjective.

Archived