My Top 30 Shaw Wuxia Films

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

My two favorite Directors are Chang Cheh and Chor Yuen. So I'm doing my top 10 from those two plus top 10 from everyone else.

I still have a lot to see. But this is the current list. In order of release. 

Chang Cheh:

1. The Magnificent Trio (1966)

2. Trail of the Broken Blade (1966)

3. One Armed Swordsman (1967)

4. The Assassin (1967)

5. Golden Swallow (1968)

6. Return of the One Armed Swordsman (1968)

7. The Invincible Fist (1969)

8. Have Sword, Will Travel (1969)

9. The Heroic Ones (1970)

10. New One Armed Swordsman (1971)

Chor Yuen:

1. Killer Clans (1976)

2. The Magic Blade (1976)

3. Web of Death (1976)

4. The Jade Tiger (1977)

5. The Sentimental Swordsman (1977)

6. Death Duel (1977)

7. Clans of Intrigue (1977)

8. Swordsman and Enchantress (1978)

9. Full Moon Scimitar (1979)

10. Return of the Sentimental Swordsman (1981)

Everyone else:

1. Come Drink With Me (1966)

2. The Sword of Swords (1968)

3. Valley of the Fangs (1970)

4. Lady Hermit (1971)

5. Soul of the Sword (1977)

6. The Avenging Eagle (1978)

7. The Deadly Breaking Sword (1979)

8. Bastard Swordsman (1983)

9. The Lady Assassin (1983)

10. The Supreme Swordsman (1984)

With more movies seen I'm sure this list will need to be updated.

Edited by Iron_Leopard
  • Like 7

TibetanWhiteCrane

Solid list.

"Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan", if even considered a wuxia, would be on my Chor Yuen list though.

And in the "everyone else" section, I would have Cheng Kang's "Pursuit" from '72, which is great and another Chng Kang/Yueh Hua collab, "Twelve Gold Medallions" from '70. Maybe also "Vengeance is a Golden Blade" from '69.... again Yueh Hua.

• Like 2

Iron_Leopard
4 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Solid list.

"Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan", if even considered a wuxia, would be on my Chor Yuen list though.

And in the "everyone else" section, I would have Cheng Kang's "Pursuit" from '72, which is great and another Chng Kang/Yueh Hua collab, "Twelve Gold Medallions" from '70. Maybe also "Vengeance is a Golden Blade" from '69.... again Yueh Hua.

I was always curious if Intimate Confessions was a true Wuxia film or not. I still need to see it. For some reason I just assumed "Killer "Clans" was his first swordplay film. So that's where I started.

I found this list of every Shaw MA film ever made. I'm going to watch every one of these that are on Prime so I'm sure my top 30 will change soon.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/gigiriva/complete_list_of_shaw_brothers_martial_arts_movies/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

nd another Chng Kang/Yueh Hua collab, "Twelve Gold Medallions" from '70. Maybe also "Vengeance is a Golden Blade" from '69.... again Yueh Hua.

I would add Killer darts, still with Yueh Hua, and The young avenger with the duo Shih Szu-Yueh Hua.

There are so many good wuxias : The silver fox, Black Butterfly, Death Valley, Dragon swamp, The jade raksha, That fiery girl, Killers  five, Lady of steel, Raw courage, The swordmates, Twelve deadly coins, Twin blades of doom, Vengeance is a golden blade, Ambush, Heroes of Sung...

I just took a look at the above link and realized that I have to revisit so many of these movies that I watched so long ago and that I forgot the plot !

And those that I still haven't watched, such as Pursuit, for instance !

• Like 6

TibetanWhiteCrane
26 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I would add Killer darts, still with Yueh Hua, and The young avenger with the duo Shih Szu-Yueh Hua.

There are so many good wuxias : The silver fox, Black Butterfly, Death Valley, Dragon swamp, The jade raksha, That fiery girl, Killers  five, Lady of steel, Raw courage, The swordmates, Twelve deadly coins, Twin blades of doom, Vengeance is a golden blade, Ambush, Heroes of Sung...

I just took a look at the above link and realized that I have to revisit so many of these movies that I watched so long ago and that I forgot the plot !

Yes, we are spoiled for choice when it comes to Shaw wuxia. If I watch too many of them in a short amount of time, they do tend to blur together in my mind. But if I just watch one or two every once in a while, they have distinct themselves and leave an impact. "Pursuit" actually got me a bit emotional, which almost never happens. Probably my fave Yueh Hua performance.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

"Pursuit" actually got me a bit emotional, which almost never happens. Probably my fave Yueh Hua performance.

I really need to watch this one soon !!

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, paimeifist said:

Gonna need to see some more love for What Price Honesty?.

Actually haven't seen that as far as I recall..... not sure why.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard

I'm going to watch "Shadow Whip" tonight. Curious to see if it will be good enough to bump a movie off the EVERYBODY ELSE top 10 list.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
5 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I'm going to watch "Shadow Whip" tonight. Curious to see if it will be good enough to bump a movie off the EVERYBODY ELSE top 10 list.

Lo Wei 's Shaw efforts are better than anything he did after that for the most part. I dig most of them, icluding SW. And Cheng Pei Pei in wooly ear flaps is freakin' adorbs.

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang

The snowy landscape add so much to the atmosphere. Movies with snow have a special something,, works best in BLACK TAVERN, inside-the-inn plot plus snow outside!

• Like 4

On 7/12/2020 at 12:10 AM, ShawAngela said:

Just saw this film recently.  I enjoyed the film and recommend it.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
On 7/12/2020 at 5:10 AM, ShawAngela said:

I just watched Killer Darts and absolutely loved it.

• Like 3