Drunken Master 2 additional footage?

sym8

Question

Does anyone know if there is any footage that Lau Kar Leung shot for Drunken master 2 before he got the boot that didn’t make the final cut,or is everything he shot in the movie?

• Like 4

14 answers to this question

ChanKongSang

In an old interview with Jackie from 1994 by Mike Leeder, it's mentioned they binned about 40 minutes of the finished film because the Stuntman Association wasn't happy with it during a preview. There were mostly scenes depicting Lau Kar Leung's version of Drunken Fist. Mike asked Jackie if he's planning to release any of that footage but he got a firm 'no' for an answer.

• Like 8

On 7/8/2020 at 4:46 PM, sym8 said:

Does anyone know if there is any footage that Lau Kar Leung shot for Drunken master 2 before he got the boot that didn’t make the final cut,or is everything he shot in the movie?

I'm afraid we won't be seeing them anytime soon. Due Jackie not waning to release any deleted scenes but i always said the day that happens is the day we'll see those deleted scenes from Crime Story,

Edited by SpartainX
Correction
  • Like 3

thundered mantis

sorry for the offtopic, but what are those deleted scenes from Crime Story about? Any action? The little action the movie had is high standard

• Like 3

3 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

sorry for the offtopic, but what are those deleted scenes from Crime Story about? Any action? The little action the movie had is high standard

The  deleted scenes besides featuring Jackie and his thrapist, also ones with Kent Cheng with his mistress with more backstory of his character.   The action scenes being more violent and bloody than we some of us saw in the final cut. Some scenes involving Jet Li who was suppose to star in it not Jackie before Jet decided to leave Hong Kong for a while after his  manager was how Mike Leeder said it. in an interview in the 88 flims release of Crime Story  Was assassinated by triads.   There is footage out there of an early cut thats kept in a vault  a more bloody, more violent verison of Crime Story thats been kept away.  

• Like 6

for Drunken Master 2, amongst the missing scenes is an extended sequence where  Jackie and Wong Yat-wah's character's are forced to box with the British soldiers after being caught at the embassy, and we get to see Mark Houghton doing some boxing against Jackie and co

I would say the footage is somewhere in jackie's archive

__

For CRIME STORY, there's alot of missing footage, from unfinished sequences to full scenes, there's more of the Singaporean Psychiatrist, there's a lot more Kent Cheng including a more graphic love scene with his girlfriend played by Christine Ng, and an epic chase sequence that was meant to be the original ending

Jackie has most of the footage from his movies in his archive, including the test footage for Firemans Story etc

there's also tons of missing footage from WHO AM I, which at one point was close to be two movies instead of one

• Like 10

Wow, one can only hope that JC goes into nostalgia mode one day and opens up the vault! 

Wonder what became of the original ending from Project A2? Havn't seen a word about it online in 20 years..

• Like 4

On 9/6/2020 at 5:18 PM, SpartainX said:

The  deleted scenes besides featuring Jackie and his thrapist, also ones with Kent Cheng with his mistress with more backstory of his character.   The action scenes being more violent and bloody than we some of us saw in the final cut. Some scenes involving Jet Li who was suppose to star in it not Jackie before Jet decided to leave Hong Kong for a while after his  manager was how Mike Leeder said it. in an interview in the 88 flims release of Crime Story  Was assassinated by triads.   There is footage out there of an early cut thats kept in a vault  a more bloody, more violent verison of Crime Story thats been kept away.  

Wow  !! I wasn't aware at all of this, but I have a very little knowledge of Jackie's opuses...And Jet Li was supposed to play in Crime story ??!!

And his manager was killed by the triads ??!!  Wooooww  !!😱😱

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Wow  !! I wasn't aware at all of this, but I have a very little knowledge of Jackie's opuses...And Jet Li was supposed to play in Crime story ??!!

And his manager was killed by the triads ??!!  Wooooww  !!😱😱

This is what could'ev been if Jet Li didn't have a falling out with Golden Harvest,  Jim Choi getting assassinated.  It would'ev been Jet Li and Kent Cheng but with Kent having it more center around him alot more.  Kirk even gave Jet that modern look that he had as you can see here.  Odd how things end up differently once things like this had happen but that was  what could'ev been if Jet didn't depart from Hong Kong for a while.

Dk1d22XXgAA86ef.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Memorex said:

Wow, one can only hope that JC goes into nostalgia mode one day and opens up the vault! 

Wonder what became of the original ending from Project A2? Havn't seen a word about it online in 20 years..

What was the original ending?

As cool as the released version was with Yuen Wah, I've always been curious about the footage that Philip Kwok choreographed/action directed for Police Story III. It seems like he would have been in a role similar to Yuen Wah, fighting against Ka Kui.

• Like 5

On 9/7/2020 at 5:24 AM, Mike Leeder said:

Jackie has most of the footage from his movies in his archive, including the test footage for Firemans Story etc

What is 'Firemans Story'? I'm assuming it was an unfinished Jackie Chan movie?

7 hours ago, Asmo said:

I'm wondering that as well. The only missing scenes of Project A II, I was aware of were Jackie Chan's character getting jailed.

Offtopic @Asmo, I'm a little surprise you've changed your avatar, you must have used your previous avatar since at least 2009.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Asmo said:

As cool as the released version was with Yuen Wah, I've always been curious about the footage that Philip Kwok choreographed/action directed for Police Story III. It seems like he would have been in a role similar to Yuen Wah, fighting against Ka Kui.

I had no idea about a different ending for Project A 2 and as for the Philip Kwok thing WOW.This all could be the new Game of death missing footage thread😀😀

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

I'm wondering that as well. The only missing scenes of Project A II, I was aware of were Jackie Chan's character getting jailed.

I believe that was part of the original ending. JC and friends getting jailed and where about to be executed. Sorry, I don't have any more info on that one. I read about it on the Project J-site, circa 00-01, There was also a screenshot or two from an old magazine, a japanese one iirc.  

Edited by Memorex
  • Like 4

Firemans Story was a project Jackie had wanted to do for a long time, but the issue was always the "fire' , when Backdraft came out, they brought over some of the FX team to do test footage including a fire in Central MTR (subway) station...and Jackie began pre-production with Bury Me High director Tsui Siu-ming at the helm but sadly lot of creative differences including Jackie wanting to focus on stunts while Golden Harvest wanted more fights and it ended up never being made

Ref Philip Kwok/Kuo Chui's role in Police Story 3, he was helping design the action along with Stanley Tong and the first scene they shot was the assault on the druglords camp, but a couple of days into shooting Philip and Stanley Tong parted company and Philip left the project.... he was going to be one of the bodyguard team, i'd say Ken Low got most of the part Philip originally had

• Like 11