Rank the decades for Martial Arts films

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard
22 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

And people are really sleeping on the 60's. Sure, if all you're looking for is flashy choreo, then no, the 60's aren't for you. But from my perspective, stuff like the Shaw wuxias of that era are so rich with story, characters, atmosphere and production value and I really love finding more of the B&W Wong Fei Hung films with Kwan Tak Hing for the historical significance, not to mention Japanese samurai and ninja films.

Like many here I was always hesitant to try 60s Shaw Wuxia. But I finally bit the bullet a decade ago. I think my first two were "One Armed Swordsman " and "Have Sword Will Travel". Both of these movies blew me away. The atmosphere and production values were off the charts and more than made up for the lack of late 70s fight choreography. 

I remember the scene in HSWT when David Chiang made a stop at the main base of the good guys looking for food and shelter. That whole scene that played out with him, Ti Lung, Li Ching, and the Master had me glued to the tv like no other Shaw movie before. I was just drooling at how captivating the performances were and how STUNNING the set looked. I was so confused why 70s and 80s Shaw movies didn't look this good.

I may actually prefer the 60s over the 70s but I put 70s at #1 just because it had a full ten years of great movies. The 60s are at a slight disadvantage since they didn't start making martial arts movies till 65 with "Temple of the Red Lotus".

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
2 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

This list is very good.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.silveremulsion.com/2012/06/30/top-ten-shaw-brothers-martial-arts-films-of-the-1960s/amp/

I'd also add "Valley of the Fangs". Its from 1970 but its basically a 60s film. Looks and feels just like the others listed.

Almost all of these are on Prime Video. "The Invincible Fist" is on Prime. It must not have been when he made that list.

Thank you sir. I’ll be adding some of these to the old watch list.

• Like 2

I tried to do this. But i just can't pick, sorry lol ALL eras have something that is great and that i cant put over the others lol  i think just 60s have little to offer to me, but from the 70s to the 10s. i just cant rank them lol

Besides, i live in Panama, so we got everything like one decade later, i watched the Bruce Lee and Jackie chan movies in the early 80s  so as the rest of the Kung fu movies, to me that's all 80s stuff even thought it was made in the 70s , i was watching Bruceploitation on TV in the mid 80s  lol

Edited by edher_M.A.
  • Like 5

Mine would be the same as DiP's. I'll add that the greatest 10 year span of kung fu films lasts from 78' to '88 in my opinion.

• Like 4