Rank the decades for Martial Arts films

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

Put these decades in order from favorite to least favorite.

60s

70s

80s

90s

00s

10s

This should be fun to read. If you want to elaborate on your order of preference that would be great too.

I'll save my order for later. I want to see everyone else's first.

• Like 6

Drunken Monk

70's

80's

90's

00's

10's

60's

Disclaimer: I've seen about three kung fu movies from the 60's.

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Like 6

Iron_Leopard

I'm very curious why everyone has the 10s in last place. 

Why would you have it ranked below the 00s? 

• Like 3

70’s

80’s

90’s

00’s

10’s

60’s

Part of me thinks the 80’s first because the stunts began to become more prevalent especially from the likes of Jackie and Sammo but then I do love an all out shapes Kung fu fight so I went for the 70’s.One armed swordsman is I think the only film I’ve seen from the 60’s.

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I'm very curious why everyone has the 10s in last place. 

Why would you have it ranked below the 00s? 

Variety.... also seen less from the 10's. The 00's had fun fluff like My Schoolmate, the Barbarian, House of Fury and Dragon Tiger Gate... which some people may dismiss, but I like it. The opulent epics like Hero, Fearless, Seven Swords, House of Flying Daggers and the first (and best) Ip Man. Hard hitters like SPL, Flashpoint, Invisible Target and Fatal Contact. There was the short but sweet Thai boom, some pretty cool Korean fight flicks, a few Japanese ones or French stuff like B13 or Kiss of th Dragon. 

And people are really sleeping on the 60's. Sure, if all you're looking for is flashy choreo, then no, the 60's aren't for you. But from my perspective, stuff like the Shaw wuxias of that era are so rich with story, characters, atmosphere and production value and I really love finding more of the B&W Wong Fei Hung films with Kwan Tak Hing for the historical significance, not to mention Japanese samurai and ninja films.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 4

Iron_Leopard

70s: Shaw Brothers at their peak and Bruce Lee world domination. 

60s: King Hu and Chang Cheh basically invent the modern martial arts film. 

80s: Jackie Chan and Golden Harvest take over Hong Kong MA films.

90s: The rise of Jet Li and Yuen Woo Ping. Wire work is perfected.

10s: Donnie Yen carries HK cinema on his back. 

00s: 90s wire work is replaced by horrible CGI. Only a handful of highlights this whole decade.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

70's

80's

90's

00's

10's

60's

Disclaimer: I've seen about three kung fu movies from the 60's.

This is what I'd go with as well cause Ive never seen anything choreography wise that impressed me from the 60s, but admit l haven't seen alot.

Edited by CT KID
  • Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

I just wanna note that the thread title didn't specify Kung Fu or Hong Kong films, just martial arts, and my replies reflect this.

• Like 5

Iron_Leopard
2 minutes ago, CT KID said:

This is what I'd go with as well cause Ive never seen anything choreography wise that impressed me from the 60s, but admit l haven't seen alot.

I understand most people watch kung fu movies for the fight scenes but just because the 60s films are lacking in that department doesn't mean they aren't worth checking out.

Perfect example is "Five Deadly Venoms". Nobody watches that for the fight scenes. There are far better Venoms films when it comes to fights. The story and atmosphere is what made that movie so great. Same applies to a lot of lates 60s Wuxia.

• Like 4

That's true and I  need to check out more, just because the fight scenes might be lacking doesn't mean it won't turn out to be a great film.

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

70s

60s 

90s

80s

00s

10s

Hard choice between 60s and 70s as I'm on a 60s Shaw revisit journey at the moment, and it's wellnigh overwhelming. 

Even harder choice between 90s and 80s because as much as I appreciate the 80s output I do love lots of the 90s wuxias. Movies like PROJECT A or POLICE STORY appeal to me in a completely different way than, say, CHINESE GHOST STORY but I would not be able to do without any of them!

• Like 3

massa_yoda
4 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I'm on a 60s Shaw revisit journey at the moment, and it's wellnigh overwhelming. 

This is also me right now, except a lot of it is for the first time. Many great treasures I’m finding.  I feel like I need to watch more before I can give an accurate decade rating, but I might be leaning toward how @TibetanWhiteCrane listed them.

• Like 5

ShawAngela
9 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Hard choice between 60s and 70s

It was a difficult choice for me too, and I was even about to put them ex aequo.

If I consider only the Shaws from the 60's, then, I can put the 60's and the 70's ex aequo. But there are also the old  Cantonese movies from the 60's, and if I consider only these ones, the 60's come after the 70's.

For me, the 70's are the best decade, not only for all the marvelous  Shaws we got, but also because in my opinion, it's during this decade that we got some Old School kung fu and punch and block gems that were the roots of my love for the martial arts movies...

There are some movies from the 90's and 2000's that I appreciate, but the last three decades mentioned don't really fit me : too much violence (and it's me who says that, after watching decapitating heads or arms in Shaws' or other movies...!!:bs_laughing:), too much special effects...I'm too old fashioned regarding my movies !! :monk_laughing:

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

I looked back at the HK MA films I've seen from the 10's.... and while I remember liking most of them or at least something about them, none of them really left an impact or were particularly memorable when looking back. These include but not limited to...

14 Blades, Gallants, Ip Man 2, Legend is Born-Ip Man, Legend of the Fist-Return of Chen Zhen, Reign of Assassins, Shaolin, Wuxia etc. I might appreciate some of these more with time, but I don't think I've seen any of them more than once or maybe twice, nor do I feel the need to. That's why the 10's ranks the lowest for me.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 3

Drunken Monk

This might not be the thread in which to do it but hey, you don't ask, you don't get...

Can someone throw out a few must-see kung fu movies from the 60's? Preferably easily accessible ones and not films I have to watch on a fourth generation VHS bought off the dark web.

• Like 3

thundered mantis

It´s obviously a matter of preferences. For me it´s:

70s (just interested in post 76 films): beggining of the "shapes era"

80s: still great shapes films (mainland China and Korea do their share also) and golden age of modern HK action

90s: still many superb HK modern actioners, but mostly smaller productions (Innocent Interloper, Angry ranger, Angel films), plus Jackie and Sammo on the first half of the decade, ´cause the cancers of the genre (to my liking) are begining to show (excesive wirework, excesive undercranking, close up fast editing all ruin the physical prowess and impact the industry had been building).

00s: much less hard hitting films, still some truly worthy bits: Sha Po Lang, Flashpoint, Tsui Mings The Champions, Ong Bak, The Rebel, Dragon Tiger Gate, Hero, Ong Bak 2, Merantau, Fearless, Crouching Tiger, Ip Man, Chocolate, Tom Yung Goong, Born to Fight, Fatal Contact, Bodyguards and Assassins , Undisputed last man standing, the first Ninja film

010s: it´s just Donnie and Adkins carrying the torch, plus the Raid films and Gallants and a couple of Ip Man´s spinoffs

60s: sorry not interested on them

• Like 3

Duel to the Death

70s

80s

90s

00s

60s

10s

It's real close between 70's and 80's for my #1. I looked at my list of my favorite movies and i think i see more from the 70's but it's real close. Then next is 90's just for 2 movies, Kung Fu Cult Master and Return of Drunken Master. Then 2000's for movies like Hero and The Protector. I have seen maybe 2 movies from the 60's so i can't really rank it. Those 2 movies were good though, i should see more from this era. And i have not seen even 1 movie from the 2010's. The latest movie i saw was IP Man and i thought it was overrated. And recently i saw the trailer for Enter The Fat Dragon and i thought it looked hideous. I watched the trailer twice just to make sure i wasn't being pre-judgemental. Nope, it looks terrible. 

Edited by Duel to the Death
  • Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
9 minutes ago, thundered mantis said:

90s: still many superb HK modern actioners, but mostly smaller productions (Innocent Interloper, Angry ranger, Angel films)

All 80's except for Angry Ranger.

• Like 3

thundered mantis
14 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

All 80's except for Angry Ranger.

You´re right TibetanWhiteCrane, sorry. Even Angel 3 is from 80s as I´ve just checked; many "Angel" films are 90s though (Angel Terminators 2, Angels Project, Angel Force).

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 minute ago, thundered mantis said:

You´re right TibetanWhiteCrane, sorry. Even Angel 3 is from 80s as I´ve just checked; many "Angel" films are 90s though (Angel Terminators 2, Angels Project, Angel Force).

A lot of Angel titled GWG flicks are from the 90's, that is true.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

This might not be the thread in which to do it but hey, you don't ask, you don't get...

Can someone throw out a few must-see kung fu movies from the 60's? Preferably easily accessible ones and not films I have to watch on a fourth generation VHS bought off the dark web.

This list is very good.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.silveremulsion.com/2012/06/30/top-ten-shaw-brothers-martial-arts-films-of-the-1960s/amp/

I'd also add "Valley of the Fangs". Its from 1970 but its basically a 60s film. Looks and feels just like the others listed.

Almost all of these are on Prime Video. "The Invincible Fist" is on Prime. It must not have been when he made that list.

Edited by Iron_Leopard
  • Like 5