Lam Ching Ying "Mr. Vampire" movies to check out?

Guest The Running Man

Guest The Running Man

I've only really seen the first Mr. Vampire and Encounters of the Spooky Kind 2, which can be considered part of that in a way.

I know there are a whole series of movies that Lam Chig Ying did that were either direct sequels or spin-offs of the character.

Anyone here have titles from those that are worth checking out the most and others that are not so hot?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey,

those that IMO hit the mark as sequels in name or spin-off's:

Mr. Vampire III

Vampire Vs. Vampire

Magic Cop

and one pre-dating Mr. Vampire but in The Dead And The Deadly, Lam is hilarious as a not so sturdy Taoist priest.

Most other like Ultimate Vampire, Mad Mad Ghost etc are standard but have their moments and well worth watching if you take a liking to Lam Ching Ying.

hey,

was released as Vampire Vs. Vampire although one of its aka's connects it to the unconnected series, as part 5 I believe but that honor should belong to Mr. Vampire 1992 I guess. Lam Ching Ying directed Vampire Vs. Vampire as well.

Guest morgoth

Don't ever watch the one called Chinese Vampire Story. I don't know what # it is or the real name of it but it was very bad. It is from GZ and also has Kung Fu From Beyond the Grave on it.

There has to be at least 10 movies where Lam played a Taoist priest. Could be up to 20.

Guest limubai2000

Yes you should get them all, but you can skip #2 that one totally sucked. 1, 3 and 5 were all great. 5 is somewhat silly but still worth a watch if you can handle it.

hey,

ah yea, Crazy Safari. Quite, quite wonderful and crazy the good ol' Hong Kong way. Watch N!xau get posessed by the spirit of Bruce Lee for instance or why not this:

csa.jpg

Narrated by Stephen Chow and Ng Man-tat but their bits were n't subtitled on the version I saw.

Guest HungKuen

Crazy Safari is one of my favourite comedies of all time! Hilarious!

It's regarded as a semi-classic here in Sweden actually. Was available everywhere back in the good ol' VHS days.

Guest Isfahani

Crazy Safari is the nuttiest and most over the top of the Mr Vampires... How could it NOT be?

Luckily I got this in original language with hardsubs on VCD right before they disappeared off the market. So far all I have seen online for sale are overpriced VCDs of dubious origin claiming to have the ENG DUB version, and way overpriced LD's with extremely large chinese subs onscreen, but no english.

I was hoping the rumor of a few years ago that deltamac was going to release this on DVD 'soon' but still haven't seen that

happen yet.

Hit me up with a PM if you want to discuss Crazy Safari some more :)

Mr Vampire 1992 does have it's moments, tho - worth a look see if you like LCY or Hopping Zombies, or ever ate at

a sushi bar with the boat-on-a-stream-delivery method.

hey,

Crazy Safari is one of my favourite comedies of all time! Hilarious!

Wasn't aware of that. How was it presented in terms of language and was there subs for the Stephen Chow/Ng Man Tat narration?

Guest dragon herb

On the Swedish VHS-cover of Crazy Safari (Gudarna måste vara Galna III) it says that Jackie Chan is starring, wrong information right? It's still aviable in stores I guess, so I'll pick it up today if Im lucky.. seems like fun.

Guest HungKuen

Yes, on the cover of Gudarna MÃ¥ste Vara Tokiga 3 (God's Must be Crazy 3/Crazy Safari) it says that Jackie Chan stars, but that is obviously not true. It's just a typical example of Western ignorance leaning towards racism. "Oh, a Chinese guy - has to be Jackie Chan, and even if it isn't, they all look the same, so no one will notice". |I

Thank goodness that has gotten at least somewhat better since this was released (mid-nineties).

Wasn't aware of that. How was it presented in terms of language and was there subs for the Stephen Chow/Ng Man Tat narration?

Unfortunately the Swedish version used the English dub >_<

I have it on VCD somewhere I think. Don't remember if it was subtitled or anything though.

Archived