Guinness Thread of Movie Appearances

Chu Liu Hsiang

Chu Liu Hsiang

Knowing these actors mostly from Shaw movies, I put the thread in this section of the forum. I searched for some persons I know to be in many movies, and probably missed lots of actresses and actors with alike activity, so please feel free to add. 

I thought Ku Feng was incredibly active but there are actors that appear in far more movies. Of course, these numbers don’t differ between lead and minor parts or extras but they are still still impressive. And how should a hero shine without the waiter in the teahouse, the dealer in the gambling den, the baozi vendor, the “red shirt” guard who just appears to be killed, and all the faces in the crowd.

hkmdb lists Fung Ging Man for the possibly record-breaking number of appearances in no less than 507 movies. Follow-up is Ho Pak Kwong with 453 entries, then come Fung Ming with 433 and Tsang Choh Lam with 397 entries. Ku Feng is listed for 382 movies, Wong Ching Ho for 366, Yang Chi Ching for 311.  

Mama Hung has 276 entries, Ou Yang Sha Fei has 265, and Teresa Ha Ping 260. 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShawAngela

Shih Kien : 563 movies

Wang Lai : 234 movies

And hkmdb doesn't list the series in which some of these actors appear...

ShawAngela

Connie Chan : 246 movies

Yu  So Chau : 252 movies

Walter Tso : 403 movies

Wu Fung : 383 movies

Ching Miao : 209 movies

Nice thread, great idea !

Chu Liu Hsiang

Wow, busy schedules! Thus we have the following winners: 

Lai Man (630)

LaiMan1-48-b.jpg

Shieh Kin (563)

MadamWangCai+1967-20-b.jpg

Chu Liu Hsiang

Shout-out to the Unknown Shaw Actors and Actresses, carefully listed by hkmdb. Of originally 53 Unknown SB Actors 26 are still listed, so I guess the others have been successfully identified. On the female side, there is one Unknown SB Actress Child as well as 3 out of originally 5 listed Unknown SB Actresses. All in all, their filmographies add up to 2037 movie appearances. 

Unknown SB Actor 13 is in the lead here with 247 movie appearances. Kudos!

SeedingofaGhost+1983-63-b.jpg

ShawAngela
8 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

On the female side, there is one Unknown SB Actress Child as well as 3 out of originally 5 listed Unknown SB Actresses

There is a picture on which the unknown actress 4 looks a little bit like Lily Li !

It seems to me that I had seen a long while ago an actor with around 900 movies, but I'm not sure and I don't remember who it is.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, Sai Gwa Pau is hard to beat. Even the ever-present Fung Ging Man is only at around 500.

Omni Dragon

Are we just talking about Chinese cinema?

Because there are claims the deceased Indian actress Sukumari acted in more than 2500 feature films and there are claims the living Indian actor Jagathy Sreekumar has acted in over 1400 Malayalam films.

According to this: https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-screen-credits-for-a-living-actor/

The most screen credits for a living actor is 857 acknowledged film roles and was achieved by K Brahmanandam (India) from 1987 to 24 June 2010.

On a side note I've noticed that Winners & Sinners has at least 7 actors with over 300 movies in their filmography.

According to HKMDB:
Sai Gwa-Pau actor of 808 films
Cheung Chok-Chow actor of 558 films
Fung Ging-Man actor of 507 films
Gam Tin-Chue actor of 423 films
Walter Tso Tat-Wah actor of 403 films
Sze-Ma Wah-Lung actor of 345 films
Wu Ma actor of 314 films

Omni Dragon

I feel kind of silly now having only skim read before posting.  I came here from/through the 'Unread Content' and didn't even notice it was under 'Shaw Brothers'.

Chu Liu Hsiang

808 movies, wow! 

StoryofaDischargedPrisoner+1967-13-b.jpg

Sai Gwa Pau

I did not even think about checking the Guinness Book, nice to see "our man" comes close to the official Guinness record.

But actually these numbers pale compared to the movie appearances of those Indian actors!

On 7/9/2020 at 10:51 PM, Omni Dragon said:

I feel kind of silly now having only skim read before posting.  I came here from/through the 'Unread Content' and didn't even notice it was under 'Shaw Brothers'.

No worries! Why should we restrict this to SB, or Hong Kong, I just put it here bc I had to put it somewhere and because I'm more familiar with Shaw actors than those of other studios. I wanted to find a movie which includes lots of these busy people, and you already found it! Have to watch WINNERS AND SINNERS again soon, especially under the aspect of spotting them all. 

On 7/9/2020 at 11:01 PM, massa_yoda said:

Okay, who's going to watch them all?

If someone sent them over, I'd volunteer to do it.  It would take some time though :) 

On 7/9/2020 at 5:01 PM, massa_yoda said:

Okay, who's going to watch them all?

I counted and I've seen 178 of them, not including some of the black and white Wong Fei Hung films I watched on youtube.

:BL-Sad:

Archived