Would Kara Hui have become a star without Lau Kar Leung?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

Everyone knows the story of how Lau Kar Leung had a crush on Kara. It would be naive to think this didn't have some influence on her involvement in a lot of his films.

Cause I noticed in a lot of Chor Yuen films Kara had a lot of very small roles. Sometimes she didn't even have speaking lines and was just in the background.

During those moments I wondered to myself if this would have been how her career played out (as a back drop character) if it wasnt for LKL taking an interest in her.

Or perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe she had a breakout role before she teamed up with LKL that I'm not remembering. 

What do you think?

• Like 1

paimeifist

Didn’t he just meet her dancing somewhere and that’s how she got into acting?

If that’s accurate, than she certainly wouldn’t have been a star without him. I could be thinking of someone else or misinformed though.

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 2

Iron_Leopard
22 minutes ago, paimeifist said:

Didn’t he just meet her dancing somewhere and that’s how she got into acting?

If that’s accurate, than she certainly wouldn’t have been a star without him. I could be thinking of someone else or misinformed though.

Oh maybe so. I just assumed she was already in the business and he took a liking to her from other films so he had her star in most of his own films.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

HMMM, she had studied with Bow Sim Mark, she was good looking, sexy and had very good technique. Sifu Mark is Donnie Yen's mom.  She made 17 films before working with Pops. Now, he made her a center piece, while someone like Chang Cheh looked at women as well, beards, if they were to be in the movie at all. So I am sure he helped, but the raw material was there.

• Like 7

TibetanWhiteCrane

Raw talent is fine, but you also need opportunity, and that's what LKL provided. He banked on her and molded her into a star, leading her to the first ever winner of Best Actress at the HKFA. She might have made it without him at some point, but we can only speculate on that.

• Like 6

NoKUNGFUforYU

I wouldn't see it was "raw talent" with 17 movies and training in Wu Shu. But yes, he gave her the mistress treatment.  She never said anything bad about him, so it must have worked out pretty well.

• Like 4

On 7/6/2020 at 3:51 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

Everyone knows the story of how Lau Kar Leung had a crush on Kara. It would be naive to think this didn't have some influence on her involvement in a lot of his films.

Cause I noticed in a lot of Chor Yuen films Kara had a lot of very small roles. Sometimes she didn't even have speaking lines and was just in the background.

During those moments I wondered to myself if this would have been how her career played out (as a back drop character) if it wasnt for LKL taking an interest in her.

Or perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe she had a breakout role before she teamed up with LKL that I'm not remembering. 

What do you think?

I think it benefited Kara Hui.  As others have said, the talent and looks were there, Lau provided opportunity......Just thinking about it, Lau Kar Leung really had a thing for pretty girls that were much younger. (Kara Hui, Mary Jean Reimer)

mjr.jpg

kh.jpg

• Like 3

Cognoscente

I can imagine her making it big with another company like Seasonal (who were in need of a female star) or Cinema City (she could easily have been one of the three actresses in Peking Opera Blues).

• Like 5