What is the last non martial arts Asian movie you've watched?

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Yihetuan
On 8/11/2024 at 11:29 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

I confess rape revenge thrillers aren't usually my go-to genre of choice, so I've never had the opportunity to check this one out despite being aware of it. It sounds a little similar (and definitely superior) to the 2019 DTV flick 'No Mercy', although I wouldn't give that one much of a recommendation. Great review as always! 

I did see this one back in the day and agree with your review. It could've been so much more especially with Lee Si-young but the lackluster script and plodding action really derailed this from being special.

INTRUDERS - Dir. Noh Young-seok [2013] (South Korea)

I really digged director Noh's indie debut, Daytime Drinking and can't believe it took me this long to watch his followup film. This actually started out the same way with the lead character, a writer & photographer who is looking to escape Seoul to find some peace and quiet in the boonies near the DMZ and finish his writing assignment and taking some nature pics. Along the way he meets a talkative ex-con and an assorted bunch of weirdos at the B&B he is staying at & I thought this was going to take the same path as Daytime Drinking but instead turns into a cat and mouse thriller with survival horror vibes. I didn't enjoy this one as much as his debut as I felt some of the theatrics have been played out and this felt more conventional than the quirky off-beat feel of his debut. But still quite entertaining and it did have me guessing till the end.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

The Ghostly Trap - Dir. Koji Shima [1968] (Japan)

A Kwaidan supernatural revenge tale transplanted to post-War economic boom Tokyo. I'm revisiting this one after a few years since a much better set of English subs recently became available and allowed me to follow the story much more this time around. Mikio Narita is the lead (you'll probably recognize him from his multitude of roles in Yakuza films usually playing the baddie) who has an interesting choice to make - marry the company President's daughter to advance up the corporate ladder or stay loyal to his girlfriend (a lowly office worker whom he get pregnant)? well, you know how this ends up with the one tossed aside for his career ambitions coming back to get her revenge. Don't know if this has an HD master or not? But I wouldn't mind seeing this released by a boutique label in the future as a standalone release or in a box set.

• Like 1

The Last Godfather - Dir. Hyung Rae-shim [2010] (South Korea)

A vanity project for Hyung Rae-shim who plays the main character in this absolutely wretched and dopey tale of an illegitimate Korean son of a Mafia don in 1950's New York who is groomed to takeover the syndicate. I saw Harvey Keitel, Jason Mewes and thought I would give it a shot but what a mistake!  This makes They Call Me Bruce seem like a masterpiece in comparison. How Harvey Keitel got associated with this project, I'll never know but this could've been career suicide if he wasn't already an established name. Avoid at all costs!

• Like 1