Cheng Pei Pei or Li Ching?

Iron_Leopard

ShawAngela

I would say Li Ching. She was nicknamed The baby Star or something like that and she played in a wider range of genre than Chen Pei Pei, if I'm not mistaken, from Huangmei operas, to comedies, to horror, to wuxia, to action, to musicals and so on, while I don't think that Cheng Pei Pei played in any horror movies, for instance, and also not in pure comedies, if I'm not mistaken...

I just took a look to their filmographies and that"s amazing that they both played in 70 movies !

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
On 7/5/2020 at 4:24 PM, ShawAngela said:

I would say Li Ching. She was nicknamed The baby Star or something like that and she played in a wider range of genre than Chen Pei Pei, if I'm not mistaken, from Huangmei operas, to comedies, to horror, to wuxia, to action, to musicals and so on, while I don't think that Cheng Pei Pei played in any horror movies, for instance, and also not in pure comedies, if I'm not mistaken...

I just took a look to their filmographies and that"s amazing that they both played in 70 movies !

I've recently become a big Li Ching fan. Which genre of her movies were more popular?

• Like 2

ShawAngela

I know that Li Ching had a big success when she played in the dramas Susanna and A place to call home, and she played in a lot of Huangmei operas, but I can't say in which genre she was the most popular in China/Hong Kong.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

Use to mix Li Ching and Ching Li up all the time... till I memorized that Ching Li was the one with the dimples. 

Between Li and Pei Pei I'd probably go with the latter, though I like them both. I think Pei Pei is a little more convincing in action and Li is a little more convincing in drama. 

This song always stays in my head, from A Place to Call Home. Li Ching is a real sweetie.

• Like 5

Iron_Leopard
6 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Use to mix Li Ching and Ching Li up all the time... till I memorized that Ching Li was the one with the dimples. 

Between Li and Pei Pei I'd probably go with the latter, though I like them both. I think Pei Pei is a little more convincing in action and Li is a little more convincing in drama. 

This song always stays in my head, from A Place to Call Home. Li Ching is a real sweetie.

That movie looks fun. It makes me want to see it. But I dont have time to get into another Shaw genre of movies. I already have my hands full with martial arts. 

It will be too overwhelming to get into their modern films as well. 

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
2 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

That movie looks fun. It makes me want to see it. But I dont have time to get into another Shaw genre of movies. I already have my hands full with martial arts. 

It will be too overwhelming to get into their modern films as well. 

I get it, but at some point I hope you find the time to explore. Shaws is so much more than just MA films.... even if you stay within the action sphere.

• Like 4

On 7/11/2020 at 1:33 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I know that trying to research their films can be a problem.  Americans like to put first names first while Asian cultures tend to put the family name first (I know there are exceptions for those who also have "American" names like Derek Yee and David Chiang).  At first I thought the two actresses were the same person noting to the fact mentioned above.  They do have something in common -both girls were very pretty!  Sadly, both have also passed.

Li-Cheng_8df17410bc100c3da0ff7657e6a97e75.jpg

BloodBrothers-ChingLi_b7711638da4512f4f59b89a035823f12.jpg

• Like 4

Iron_Leopard
4 hours ago, morpheus said:

I know that trying to research their films can be a problem.  Americans like to put first names first while Asian cultures tend to put the family name first (I know there are exceptions for those who also have "American" names like Derek Yee and David Chiang).  At first I thought the two actresses were the same person noting to the fact mentioned above.  They do have something in common -both girls were very pretty!  Sadly, both have also passed.

Li-Cheng_8df17410bc100c3da0ff7657e6a97e75.jpg

BloodBrothers-ChingLi_b7711638da4512f4f59b89a035823f12.jpg

I've noticed that on prime a few times. Li Ching being listed ast Ching Li.

It's an honest mistake but it does annoy me sometimes lol.

• Like 3

Li Ching was nicknames "The Baby Queen" of Shaw Brothers.

Cheng Pei-pei was called "The Queen of  Wu Xia".

If you go by just action then I would say that Cheng Pei-pei was the bigger star, but there is more to Shaws than wu xia.  Li Ching was one of the most versatile actress that Shaws had and she had worked with just about every major Shaws director from King Hu to Cheng Cheh to  Chu Yuan to Chin Han, something not many people can say. She was a draw in ever genre that she played in (and sometimes even out-shined her male co-stars) and thus was a bigger "overall" star. 

• Like 4

Cognoscente
On 7/27/2020 at 11:59 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

I've noticed that on prime a few times. Li Ching being listed as Ching Li.

It's an honest mistake but it does annoy me sometimes lol.

Even Shaw's Movie News magazine had to go out of their way to show the actresses side by side...

oct 73.jpg

sep72.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/12/2020 at 4:55 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I get it, but at some point I hope you find the time to explore. Shaws is so much more than just MA films.... even if you stay within the action sphere.

Someone in the LoveHKFilm group on Facebook tried to get on my case about that, back when I was doing a daily post about the HK Film Award for Best Action Choreography (i.e. each day I posted the nominees and the winner and we discussed it). "It seems that you're just in the HK Cinema for the action" was what he said, more or less. But I also have so much to do that I don't have time to get into other genres, not to mention that Brazil's economy means that if I were do that legit (as opposed to local bootlegs), it would be way more expensive than its worth.

• Like 3

FightingFool

Li Ching is cuter and I think like her more, appearance of some classic chang cheh movies helps in having that opinion. Cheng pei pei is fine in action, acting and looks tho. Wearing kind of rags and no (or minimal) make up, she is incredibly hot in "whiplash". Her quality acting tho helps in that very flick creating impression..

1.PNG

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 4