Shaw Brothers All Time Leading Man?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

Is it Jimmy Wang Yu?

Lo Lieh perhaps?

Ti Lung or David Chiang?

Or is it Alexander Fu Sheng?

Please comment below your pick for the #1 leading man in Shaw Brothers Martial Arts Cinema history.

• Like 4

I have to say, the first person that comes to mind as the ultimate leading man for Shaw Brothers studios is Ti Lung. 

TiLung-LeadingMan.jpg.73dbb49843c7566f9b8d413fe7a8548e.jpg

• Like 6

Iron_Leopard
4 minutes ago, SMK said:

I have to say, the first person that comes to mind as the ultimate leading man for Shaw Brothers studios is Ti Lung. 

Ti Lung is definitely hard to beat. 

Is that a still from "The Deadly Breaking Sword"? That reminds that Fu Sheng was in that movie too but even he wasn't the leading man when starring with Ti Lung.

I think that was normally the case. When Fu Sheng starred with other big name actors he was usually the right hand man. So maybe he isnt really in contention for this category. 

• Like 3

BigDruDogg

Ti Lung for sure, he may not be the best Martial Artist nor in the best Shaw Bro movie, but his overall Quality/Quantity of Films is just unbeatable..

This may be biased, but he is also my all time favorite!!

• Like 5

As much as Ti Lung makes sense, Id say Gordon Liu, maybe a few of the Venoms would have a much broader "name recognition."

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU

Fu Sheng was huge at the time, but Ti Lung a close second. I would be curious according to box office. By mid 1970's there were almost no martial arts films in the top ten for box office. That being said, Ti Lung did get several awards for acting. Gordon Liu was popular as well, but I would love to go back to the Berkeley Film Archive and see that lists again and maybe make a copy.

I keep telling you guys, the Venoms are a western phenomenon. While 5 Venoms did well (lurid, gory and a complex plot for what it is) most of their films did not do well at the time. The guy that was truly setting the trend was Michael Hui. I was just reading here that Jackie and Sammo read the writing on the wall (as did Fu Sheng and Lau Kar Liang) and realized comedy was the way to go.

https://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/CulturalService/HKFA/documents/2005525/2007344/4-1-55_foreword_e.pdf

I would have to say as far as a loyal, die hard Shaw actor it is most likely Ti Lung, but then again Fu Sheng never made an independent. Ever.

http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/samples/cam032/99045702.pdf

According to historians Sheng was the biggest star before his death, even living in Bruce Lee's old home. Of course we know that Jackie Chan displaced everyone, but let's get real, the Venoms are for American fans of Saturday afternoon Kung fu Theater. To the audiences over there the grim blood baths of Chang Cheh felt tired and depressing, and audiences had hopes for the future. T. Even Sheng and Shaw brothers realized that with Hong Kong Playboys. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had Sheng survived and went on to make more comedies. I doubt that he would have had the international success that Chan had, but he may have saved the Shaws from retreating to TV.

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang
12 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Is that a still from "The Deadly Breaking Sword"?

He wears a stache in DBS but I cannot ID the pic either.

While Ti Lung is my all time favorite leading Shaw man I equally adore the on-screen radiance and energy of the Deadly Duo Ti Lung/ David Chiang. 

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

Ti Lung puttin' in work as a lead or co-lead under the Shaw banner from '69 to '85. David Chiang is my fave, but he bounced around '79. Ti Lung takes it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Is that a still from "The Deadly Breaking Sword"?

6 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

He wears a stache in DBS but I cannot ID the pic either.

I think that is from Clan Feuds.

• Like 4

ShawAngela
5 hours ago, thekfc said:

I think that is from Clan Feuds.

You are surely right, his clothes look like in the poster.

ClanFeuds+1982-94-b.jpg

• Like 3

ShawAngela
7 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Does it have to be all good guys? There's plenty of hunks who play villains who are drop dead gorgeous. @ShawAngela help me please! 

Well, the first name that came to my mind when I saw the first post was Ku Feng, but he isn't exactly a leading man in much movies.

As @Chu Liu Hsiang, I would say that it's also the duo David Chiang/Ti Lung. But Chen Kuan Tai, Lo Lieh or Wang Yu could also be considered as leading men for the Shaws', at least for a certain period for each of them...

• Like 4

Yes I was going to say Chen Kuan Tai made a good rugged leading man in the movies he starred in like Boxer From Shangtung  and Executioners From Shaolin.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Tao Chiang with a beard easily. 

The villain known as "The Human Testicle" (why I don't know) that is in what seems like every other old school kungfu movie? I just don't see it...

• Like 5

On 7/1/2020 at 10:40 AM, SMK said:

I would say Ti Lung as well; perhaps because his career has lasted longer.  He started in the martial arts genre, got rejuvenated in John Woo's "A Better Tomorrow" series and has transitioned quite well to drama as well as the small screen. 

• Like 3