The Tax Collector (David Ayer - 2018/2020)

laagi

It's been a while since the first announcement but a trailer is finally here. With a drop on VOD and select theatres August 7th, thoughts?

• Like 1

It's actually really good I thought. Ayer went back to his basic grittiness and added a bit of brutality to the film, especially in the 2nd half. Now, the only issue was the marketing. The press kept saying "Shia LaBeouf's The Tax Collector", but he's actually not the main star. It is actually Bobby Soto, who does a great job as a family man whose titular job is in jeopardy when his boss' arch rival returns and causes a shitstorm in East L.A.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2020/08/06/the-tax-collector-2020/

I actually interviewed Soto and he's really cool. He became friends with LaBeouf and they are now working together doing a theater program. Here's the full interview:

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

@AlbertV Glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately I can't find the same enthusiasm as you. I thought it's mediocre at best, probably would go as far as saying it was pretty bad. The action and violence in the movie is okay and was to be expected. The rest is just... I don't know. What really turned me off was the acting of most who were involved. I thought it was downright laughable at times. Shia was clearly the poster boy and did an alright job. Story is your run of the mill gangster stuff. Hard miss for me. Will be interesting to hear more thoughts on this.

• Like 2