Maxim 10 best martial arts scenes... blah

Guest jiangtou

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Daisho2004

I think "Enter the Dragon" is right to be placed in the #1 spot, but some of those other movies please, Jet Li, "Fist of Legend" yes that belongs there, but The Karate Kid PLEASE!!!! And that stupid Crippled Kung-Fu movie.

Guest limubai2000

The list for those that dont want to sit through the videos with my comments -

1 Enter The Dragon (Maxim are laymen for MA films, I'll let them have this one though should be lower on the list.)

2 Ong Bak (Should be lower on the list.)

3 Crippled Masters (WTF? Hell no.)

4 Hero (Definetly not on the list.)

5 Drunken Master (About right, maybe.)

6 Karate Kid (WTF? Hell no.)

7 Fearless (Yes great fight scene, shouldn't be on the list.)

8 CTHD ("Chow Yun Fat has 99 problems and a witch is one", love the tagline, shouldn't be on the list.)

9 Kung Fu Hustle (shouldn't be on the list.)

10 Fist Of Legend (deservedly on the list, should be higher.)

I gotta say I'm impressed that -

- They called Ong Bak by it's Thai name

- They included some non-theatrical releases in the USA (CM, FOL)

Guest kungfusamurai

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't include something from Kill Bill Vol.1 or 2. I guess they have no love for QT. :)

KFS

Guest Chinatown Kid

What the hell is Crippled Masters? Crippled Avengers aka Mortal Combat with the Venoms should be on that list before that film because I've never even heard of it. :rolleyes

Guest The Running Man
I think "Enter the Dragon" is right to be placed in the #1 spot,

Absolutely not.

The list is stupid made by a bunch of non-Hong Kong films fans who watch movies out of a whim whenever there is a mention of it in the mainstream.

The list is typically ignorant made by such kind of people.

Guest Chinatown Kid

That's true, these people are casual martial arts film fans that do not have the critical eye for quality that the hardcore mature martial arts film fans have like most of the people on this forum.

Guest morgoth

Of course the list had no thought put into it, that was obvious so sorry for not really commenting on it.

My question is does anyone know if there was a sequel to crippled Masters. I think I have heard talk of this.

I am pretty sure they took every one of those clips from their 10 best MA film list.

Guest limubai2000
That's true, these people are casual martial arts film fans that do not have the critical eye for quality that the hardcore mature martial arts film fans have like most of the people on this forum.

Exactly.

I think maybe 1 or 2 guys at Maxim probably really know MA films as evidenced by some of the films on the list.

I mean Karate Kid being rated higher than FOL? Or even being on the list... WTF most definetly. This is Maxim we are talking about, they should be biatch slapping the Karate Kid film like it's a girly movie.

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster
What the hell is Crippled Masters? Crippled Avengers aka Mortal Combat with the Venoms should be on that list before that film because I've never even heard of it.

Here's the IMDB.com profile for THE CRIPPLED MASTERS. It might be a contender for a low spot on a "top 10 most bizarre fight scene" list, it's but definitely not worthy of being on a list of the best martial arts fight scenes.

I imagine that KARATE KID got on there due to its popularity with the 80's nostalgia crowd.

I imagine that KARATE KID got on there due to its popularity with the 80's nostalgia crowd.

Hmmmm, and I noticed last night it was on tv, coincidence?

Maxim mag was cool when it first came out, then they lost all their good writers (to playboy, ect...), but what do you expect from any mainstream magazine, I say we email them and tell them to consult the experts (us!) before they make suck a pansie wussy list.

Karate Kid deserves it's place.

When i was a kid, that film and that scene in particular rocked my world like no other. It helped develop my love for MA action films.

Guest Chinatown Kid

The Karate Kid is a great coming of age film that was well acted by Morita and Macchio. This film was responsible for an incredible amount of enrollments in Karate and martial art schools when it come out in 84. Being a teenager back then I was a big fan of the film and still have a sentimental and nostalgic feel about it. True the fight scenes in it are nothing compared to what we see in most of the HK/Asian productions or even some other US made martial arts films. The fight scenes in KK don't belong on any top ten martial arts fight scenes list although that last "Crane Kick" was memorable back in the day. You can't really call it a martial arts film even though it has martial arts in it, I consider it more an underdog drama story with a very uplifting ending. And the fight scenes definately weren't spectacular but I have to say I liked them alot better than the fights in KK part II and III. Part II was bad but III really sucked! Those sequels really shouldn't have been made.

Guest limubai2000

That is pretty much my sentiment on the film, I own it on DVD for those reasons. In the top 10, no way, now if we were talking an 80s nostalga list then yeah it would be my list.

Guest kungfusamurai

KK is a nice drama, but it definitely ain't an action or martial arts flick. I think they should have at least put Bloodsport or one of those early Seagal flicks like Above The Law if they wanted to appeal to the casual American martial arts action film fan. I'm surprised they also didn't include any of The Matrix trilogy fight scenes, even though I personally only like the first flick.

KFS

Guest Markgway

I liked KK Part II the best, because it was set in Japan, and had a pretty decent end fight (quite violent for a PG!)

Part III was pretty pointless.

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster
I didn't even know there was an animated series. Man, they were milking this franchise for all it was worth!

Oh yeah, definitely (especially when you factor in that THE NEXT KARATE KID movie). The series involved Mr. Miyagi, Ralph Macchio's character, and some Japanese girl were going around the world trying to find a magic pagoda statue. You can watch the show's intro here.

I've only seen one episode of it, but from what I recall, it was like the sort of thing you'd see on a TV Funhouse segment of "Saturday Night Live," except it was completely serious. For example, there was a scene where some hack magician finds the pagoda stature, sits down, and start polishing it, only to be shocked when energy bubbles start flying out of it!

Guest Chinatown Kid

I can hear DeBarge sing "Rhythm of the Night" in my mind right now. :lol Ah, the good ole 80's, The Last Dragon was a fun film I have fond memories of, that Vanity sure was hot back then.

Guest limubai2000
Bruce LeRoy and ShoNuff should be on the list for Last Dragon

Again that is a worthy candidate for best 80s nostalga films or fights but hardly worthy of the top 10 list of all time.

:P

I still remember the chorus of the theme song and the glowy fighting scene... I'm gonna go order this on Amazon now!

Archived