Street Survivors: The True Story of the Lynyrd Skynyrd Plane Crash (2020) - Artimus Pyle, Ian Shultis

AlbertV

Today on Blu-Ray, DVD, and Digital is a film that almost never got made, let alone released. In 2017, former Lynryd Skynyrd drummer Artimus Pyle was sued by the widow of Ronnie Van Zant, the estates of Allen Collins and Steven Gaines, and surviving member Gary Rossington because Pyle was planning a film about his experience in the ill-fated 1977 plane crash that killed Van Zant, Gaines, Gaines' sister, the two pilots, and the assistant road manager. At first, it was blocked due to an agreement that the Lynyrd Skynyrd name was not to be used for exploitative purposes. However, the 2nd Court of Appeals in October 2018 determined that the film wasn't much about the band as it was about Pyle's experience with the band up to the plane crash, from his point of view. The film got made and features narration from Pyle with newcomer Ian Shultis playing the younger Pyle in the film, named after the 1977 album which was released just 3 days before the ill-fated crash which resulted in a decade-long hiatus. The film is written and directed by Jared Cohn.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Graeme Of Death

Got to be honest that's making me cringe the same way that horrific Lords of Chaos film about Burzum and Mayhem does.

Well, at least this one actually has the real Artimus Pyle in it, as kind of a narrator. The worst music biopic I've seen yet sadly is one about my all-time favorite band, Hysteria: The Def Leppard Story. That one was pretty bad!

Archived