Late 60s/Early 70s Wuxia is the best Shaw era

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

Man I tell you what. I love every era of Shaw Brothers martial arts cinema.

From Chang Chehs Iron Triangle films to his Venoms era films, from Chor Yuens Gu Long films, to Lau Kar Leungs Gordon Lui era of films. All top notch entertainment. 

But there is just something about these late 60s and early 70s swordplay films that captivate the hell out of me. They might not have the best fight scenes but they win out on every single other category. Something was lost the second Bruce Lee blew up and Shaw transitioned to kung fu films to capitalize on the hype. 

Give me the "Come Drink With Mes", the "One Armed Swordsmans", the "Lady Hermits" and the "Valley of the Fangs" any day of the week over anything released the last 20 years. 

• Like 8

On average I prefer the earlier “wuxia” movies to later Shaw wuxia films. I say on average because a good majority of later Shaw Wuxias are Chor Yuen movies, which I don’t like much. When you factor in work like Avenging Eagle or Killer Constable, you’ll see that the later era still had some great wuxia to offer.

With that said,  it’s hard to be the kung fu movies by Lau Kar Leung especially.

I guess I couldn’t say I have a favorite era, I just like them all for different reasons!

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 4

Drunken Monk

I watched the films from this era (late 60's/early 70's) years ago when I think I couldn't appreciate them because they weren't fight after fight after fight. I may have been a bit too immature for them, if I'm honest.
I might have to go back and revisit Come Drink With Me and One Armed Boxer to see if I have a newfound respect for them. I also want to watch The Shadow Whip, a film I've never seen but have heard good things about.

Hopefully I have a more appreciative eye for films like these now.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I also want to watch The Shadow Whip,

It was one of the first Shaws I got when Wildisde released them years ago adn I enjoyed the story a lot, and Yueh Hua + Cheng Pei Pei + Tien Feng + Ku Feng, it's a great and winning team.

Of course, to each its taste, but if I'm not mistaken, you should enjoy this one...

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I watched the films from this era (late 60's/early 70's) years ago when I think I couldn't appreciate them because they weren't fight after fight after fight. I may have been a bit too immature for them, if I'm honest.
I might have to go back and revisit Come Drink With Me and One Armed Boxer to see if I have a newfound respect for them. I also want to watch The Shadow Whip, a film I've never seen but have heard good things about.

One Armed Boxer is not really in the same category as these movies (it’s a kung fu flick not a wuxia), and it’s also not a Shaw movie. I think you’re thinking of One Armed Swordman, also with Jimmy Wang Yu.

The Chinese Boxer is a Shaw movie that has about the same story as the One Armed Boxer, but Jimmy Wang Yu gets to keep both of his arms.

I would definitely recommend Valley of the Fangs where the action is a cut above other similar wuxia films of the time.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
17 minutes ago, paimeifist said:

I think you’re thinking of One Armed Swordman, also with Jimmy Wang Yu.

You are 100% correct. I got my films muddled.

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU

I did not watch the old stuff for a long time because I had read Bruce Lee saying how terrible they were before he got there. I assumed that until I saw a few previews and realized he was just tooting his own horn or comparing the films to stuff like The Sand Pebbles or Spartacus (I found this out later that he was a fan of Kubrick, etc) and that there were films made in 1968 that had better stories, acting and craftsmanship then the Big Boss, etc. Sure, you didn't have Bruce, but they were swordplays, so who cares!? The stories were fresh back then, and after the years went on they got so convoluted that you had to read the novels to understand what the hell was going on half the time. So yeah, King Eagle, Invincible Fist, Duel For Gold, Black Tavern are some of my many favorites. I did not include New One Armed Swordsman as that had shown in the USA in 1974 and at the time I assumed it was made after Bruce, etc. 

• Like 4

Valley of the Fangs (1970) is available on Prime; think I'll watch it later today.  I've got/seen the rest of the movies mentioned, but not Valley of the Fangs.

• Like 5

Iron_Leopard
1 hour ago, tdb said:

Valley of the Fangs (1970) is available on Prime; think I'll watch it later today.  I've got/seen the rest of the movies mentioned, but not Valley of the Fangs.

@paimeifist introduced me to this movie the other day with his review. Never heard of it. Watched it on Prime last night. Now it's an all time favorite. 

• Like 4

Iron_Leopard
10 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

You should definitely go back and rewatch some of these now. 

It's so hard to explain what I'm referring to but theres just....something there. Something so damn magical about this era of Shaw Wuxia. I dont even know how to describe it. I hope one day you see what I'm talking about and realize these films are almost on a whole different level compared to almost anything post 72.

• Like 5

TibetanWhiteCrane

It's sad how many genre fans and even Shaw lovers dismiss the 60's stuff, prime among it the wuxia efforts. I personally don't restrict myself to the MA films, but also delve into all the other genres they offer up, save for maybe Huangmei opera which I just can't sit through. Although yes, the 60's wuxias have a certain vibe and quality of their own.

But there are also spy films, thrillers, dramas, musicals, exploitation, crime, triad, romance, comedy etc. Some of it good, some of it bad, but in any event it widens ones cinematic horizon and gives you a grander scope and better appreciation of the Shaw film factory prowess and Hong Kong film history in general.

• Like 4

Graeme Of Death

I pretty much like all the Shaw Brothers eras but would say my favourite is the LKL Gordon Liu period. Prefer the more advanced if you like choreography.

• Like 5

ShawAngela
8 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

It's sad how many genre fans and even Shaw lovers dismiss the 60's stuff, prime among it the wuxia efforts. I personally don't restrict myself to the MA films, but also delve into all the other genres they offer up, save for maybe Huangmei opera which I just can't sit through. Although yes, the 60's wuxias have a certain vibe and quality of their own.

But there are also spy films, thrillers, dramas, musicals, exploitation, crime, triad, romance, comedy etc. Some of it good, some of it bad, but in any event it widens ones cinematic horizon and gives you a grander scope and better appreciation of the Shaw film factory prowess and Hong Kong film history in general.

How true it is !!

And there are some Huangmei with action too, did you try these ?

• Like 3

I really tried to watch them, but problem with early 70-s is that thay don't have any choreography. And most of us watch this movies for 1. fights 2. fun effect 3. storyline.

For me, wuxia starts with 1976 Killer Clans with Yuen Chor and Tong Gai. 

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

Don't always agree with his reviews, but that is a decent list. Mine would not differ that much. Sword of Swords is probably the most underrated 60's Shaw flick. I rate it above One Armed Swordsman.

• Like 4

Iron_Leopard
20 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Don't always agree with his reviews, but that is a decent list. Mine would not differ that much. Sword of Swords is probably the most underrated 60's Shaw flick. I rate it above One Armed Swordsman.

Sword of Swords is on my watch list. I'm watching it tomorrow night on Prime.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

Feels a bit rushed at first, but then smoothes out and ramps up with one iconic scene after another. Hope you enjoy it.

• Like 3

On 6/30/2020 at 2:20 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

Man I tell you what. I love every era of Shaw Brothers martial arts cinema.

From Chang Chehs Iron Triangle films to his Venoms era films, from Chor Yuens Gu Long films, to Lau Kar Leungs Gordon Lui era of films. All top notch entertainment. 

But there is just something about these late 60s and early 70s swordplay films that captivate the hell out of me. They might not have the best fight scenes but they win out on every single other category. Something was lost the second Bruce Lee blew up and Shaw transitioned to kung fu films to capitalize on the hype. 

Give me the "Come Drink With Mes", the "One Armed Swordsmans", the "Lady Hermits" and the "Valley of the Fangs" any day of the week over anything released the last 20 years. 

Agree 100%. I know Golden Harvest wasn't around in the 60s, but this is where they don't hold a candle to Sir Run Run Shaw and his army!

• Like 4

I really like this era too, though I think the only era that gives me a bit of trouble is 73-75 or so.  I appreciate the slow build up before the action, the fights themselves don't always need to be too complicated.

At the moment my favorites would probably be Come Drink With Me, The Bells of Death, The Fastest Sword, Have Sword Will Travel, and The Black Tavern

The Twelve Gold Medallions
has some fun action, though I wasn't as involved in the story the last re-watch, so I dunno if I'll still hold it as highly.  And I think The Jade Raksha is a lot of fun too, though maybe not quite as good as some of the others.

Some films other people mention from this era haven't always landed for me, but might've just been my mood at the time.  Always enjoy finding a new favorite early wuxia.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
On 7/4/2020 at 2:17 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Just thought of something. This guy started a marathon where he was watching every Shaw martial arts movie in order from the very beginning. 

But when it comes to the 60s I can't find half of the movies available anywhere to watch so I wonder how hes viewing them?

• Like 2