Drunken Master 3 - what the hell was LKL smoking?

18JadeArafats

12 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

And did I read a negative comment on TIGER ON THE BEAT above? Bite your tongue sir, TotB is absolutely crackerjack.

I find it sublime. I also recovered the 2 I had never seen before and I miss Chow and especially ideas... but it's still fun. The first one remains an almost masterpiece of the genre. Watching some modern Hong Kong action movies, we don't even get to that fun and genius of the final chainsaw fight.

Edited by JackieRome
  • Like 2

Just my two cents:

Drunken Master III - Stupid, disappointing, nonsensical and both Wong's (Fei-Hung and Kei-Ying) have zero personality.

Drunken Monkey - Stupid, disappointing, nonsensical but some of the fighting is good.

Tiger on the Beat - I liked the finale. The treatment of Nina Li throughout the film is deplorable.

• Like 4

On 4/17/2020 at 6:04 AM, DrNgor said:

Just my two cents:

Drunken Master III - Stupid, disappointing, nonsensical and both Wong's (Fei-Hung and Kei-Ying) have zero personality.

Drunken Monkey - Stupid, disappointing, nonsensical but some of the fighting is good.

Tiger on the Beat - I liked the finale. The treatment of Nina Li throughout the film is deplorable.

Pops just wasn’t the same after Shaws. The beginning and end of Drunken Monkey were pretty good but the rest was crap. Tiger on the Beat was probably overall the best he did after Shaws. The ending of DM II was pretty decent as I recalled but the rest of it was like WTF?!

• Like 2

Drunken Master 2 is, of course, a masterpiece but it's at least as much Jackie's movie as it is LKL's. To me his post-SB-movies are mostly a far cry from his classics even though I like both Tiger On The Beats (aside from the unexcusable Nina Li-abuse in the first one).

• Like 3

Cognoscente
On 4/17/2020 at 2:04 PM, DrNgor said:

I wonder what Jet Li thought since he married Nina.

• Like 1

starschwar

A strange, spiteful film.  I can certainly understand LKL having bad blood with Jackie over his dismissal and having the "I'll make my own Drunken Master! " attitude.  But he did himself no favors with the project that resulted.  Not that continuity is to be expected, but the offhand mention that Anita Mui's stepmother character died off-screen seems especially petty.  The whole thing just comes off awkward, embarrassing, and cheaply made.  It feels more like something Wong Jing would have done, and not a film by the director of the 36th Chamber.  Honestly, Last Hero In China's brief Drunken Fist style scene feels more respectful to both interpretations of Wong Fei Hung than anything in Drunken Master III.

• Like 4

Cognoscente

I wonder if there was a rift between Anita and LKL.

About Last Hero in China, Jing addressed the drunken fist scene: "There were people who thought that Jackie did Drunken Master II as a reaction to this scene to prove that he could not be outclassed. However, Jackie was already thinking of doing a sequel during the making of City Hunter. In fact, he even told Paul Fonoroff during a televised interview that was filmed on the set of City Hunter. What's memorable about the interview is that Jackie referred to it as Drunken Monkey II because he didn't know the official English title of the first one. When Drunken Master II made twice as much money as Last Hero in China, I was embarrassed."

• Like 3

ZenkaigerBat
On 4/17/2020 at 8:04 AM, DrNgor said:

Just my two cents:

I fell asleep after five minetes watching Lau Sifu's big F-You to Jackie Chan flim.

Drunken Monkey's saving  grace is Wu-Jing and Gordon Liu's cameo, the fights. The rest is blah.

Tiger on the Beat. I can't stand Conan Lee and his ego.  I'm with you on the mistreatment of Nina Li Chi.  I really didn't care for it myself to be very honest here. Not just the fact that she's the wife of  Jet Li, the mother of their two daughters but i don't like to any woman being mistreated that way.  I know Chow Yun-Fat was very uncomfortable having to do these scenes with Nina.

• Like 3

ZenkaigerBat
23 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

I wonder what Jet Li thought since he married Nina.

I often pictured in my head that he hurt the crew members like he did the opening of Fist of Legend.

• Like 2