Drunken Master 3 - what the hell was LKL smoking?

18JadeArafats

18JadeArafats

I just watched this movie - finally had a good DVD player that could handle the crap DVD:

while it was cool to see LKL use somewhat quicker editing and wires and still present great, watch on slo-mo fight scene and the two female heavies are a nice touch

but... he left the plotting up to the cast's mad lib game. Who woulda thought Christianity was an homocidal cult replete with sacrificial masquerade parties and White Lotus Sect private army. ANd who the heck is that bearded burly statue guy everyone's worshipping - looks almost like LKL invented the Buddy Christ ~10 years before Kevin Smith did.

Man what a trip.

Guest HungKuen

Well, I love the fights in this movie, as well as that short Drunken form on the roof. It seriously has some awesome choreography in it! And Andy Lau seldom looks as good fighting as in this movie. The movie itself though, is very very weird. But it's entertaining because of it.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I've never actually seen Drunken Master 3 because of all the bad reviews it got, I'm now curious to see it since some say the fight choreography is quite good. If there's one thing Liu Chia Liang knows how to do, it's make a great fight scene.

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster

I noticed that a store near me has an old (I think it was Mei Ah) DVD of this for sale, but the packaging claims that it's fullscreen. Are there any other DVDs of this movie available?

Movie is not quite as bad as it´s reputation(those kungfu females in end brawl are awesome) is but I think Jackie Chan did right thing when fired Liu during filming of DM2

ut I think Jackie Chan did right thing when fired Liu during filming of DM2

I don't think he did. While I love the end fight to that film my favourite fights are the LKL directed ones such as the Axe gang teashop fight.

As far as DM3 is concerned, it is a pretty awful film, and I can never forgive it for having a 17 year old 7st (when wringing wet) bad guy!

silver hermit

the movie itself isn't bad, the fact the names drunken master and lau kar leung are attached to it gets peoples expectations so high.

who ever said jackie chan was right firing lau kar leung on DM2 is a fool. everyone knows jackie chan is a credit whore and an attention seeker and can't stand to be a part of anything related to another big personality except with sammo because he will kick his ass. just look at that presentation to ledgendary choreographers this year. the guy doesn't even bother to show up. why wouldn't he want to be a part of such a historical event??

Guest Yi-Long
What were the legal implications of Lau making a faux-sequel so soon after Chan's official film?

It's Hong Kong. I think you're pretty much free to take whatever subject you want and just do a flick about it. Look at all the Ip Man stuff coming out lately.

About Jackie firing LKL: I really don't know what to think of it. I liked the whole movie, so I liked the fightscenes in the beginning, in the middle, and the end-fight.

I do think it was a horrible mistake by Chan to fire Eric Tsang from Armour of God. Those first 5 minutes are fantastic, with some great shots and action, and after Jackie broke his skull, he comes back with a mullet and it's the same old Jackie Chan stuff again.

I don't think he did. While I love the end fight to that film my favourite fights are the LKL directed ones such as the Axe gang teashop fight.

I agree, the restaurant fight was the best one in the movie. The use of wires in DM2 was unnecessary.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed in DM3, but the fight scenes weren't too bad. Simon Yam played it pretty well as the gay bus fighter. Brad Allan has a cameo in the film somewhere in the film so I'll have to see it again to find him. It was his first film but he doesn't fight if I remember right...I think it was more of a walk-in/stand role.

Brad Allan's appearence in Drunken Master 3 is as a passenger on the bus...he was studying Wushu & Mandarin Chinese language at the time in Shanghai...

Not sure if the Italian Wushu artist who plays the main western villain ever did anything else, Silvio something?

So disappointed by the film, solid cast Andy Lau, Gordon Liu, lau Kar-leung himself, Simon yam, Adam Cheng, Willie Chi from Burning Paradise etc, there's a few moments where it looks like its all going to start to come together and then just spirals out of control much like Drunken Monkey a few years later

• Like 1

Brad Allan's appearence in Drunken Master 3 is as a passenger on the bus...he was studying Wushu & Mandarin Chinese language at the time in Shanghai...

Not sure if the Italian Wushu artist who plays the main western villain ever did anything else, Silvio something?

So disappointed by the film, solid cast Andy Lau, Gordon Liu, lau Kar-leung himself, Simon yam, Adam Cheng, Willie Chi from Burning Paradise etc, there's a few moments where it looks like its all going to start to come together and then just spirals out of control much like Drunken Monkey a few years later

I looked him up...it's Giorgio Pasotti and he only did 3 films including DM3

SHAOLIN KIDS IN HONG KONG (1994)

DRUNKEN MASTER 3 (1994)

TREASURE HUNT (1994) (he played a Monk it looks like)

%7Boption%7Dhttp://hkmdb.com/db/images/movies/7796/TreasureHunt+1994-23-t.jpg{/IMG]

Giorgio in TREASURE HUNT

He now acts in Italy mainly...he has a new headshot on IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0664671/

Here's his official website (in Italian):

http://www.giorgiopasotti.it/

Here's a youtube clip of him when he was on the Italian Wushi Team

I1DdslBQRx4

• Like 1

Ah he was the monk in Treasure Hunt, and Shaolin Kids is kind of an unofficial spin off with Kuo Chui & Gordon Liu playing pretty much same characters from that film

Funny thing is for Treasure Huntt, originally they were talking about having two wstern monks, one who would fight and one who would be discussing philosophy etc with Chow's character...they had been talking to Jeff Falcon about playing the martial monk but then the script got rewritten and the western monk became guy standing in background for so much of film

• Like 2

I liked it, Andy Lau, Adam Cheng, Liu Chia Liang and Gordon Liu obviously had fun while filming this.

There are a lot of bad comments on it, I think that it's because people absolutely want to compare it with the two other Drunken Master, but there's nothing to compare.

Drunken Master 3 has funny moments, innovations such as the use of the skate board and the abacus as weapons and the fights are good, especially Adam Cheng and Lui Chia Liang's ones, and Gordon Liu is funny in it and fights Well too.

Another one to put in my " rewatch" list, but if I go on adding movies to it, I wonder when I'll find time to finish my "to watch" list...😂🤣

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, drunkencrane44 said:

what do you guys think of drunken master 3 is it worth watching

51WhuZP7yxL.jpg

It’s worth watching for the action but from what I can remember it was a complete let down

• Like 1

I've never seen him. after that drunken masterpiece master 2 was almost indecent to add more without Jackie Chan involved. I never could stand the idea that there was our Giorgio Pasotti, who is now very famous for films that have also been awarded prizes, but are basically idiots for the masses. he doesn't even remember the good fortune of meeting Lau Kar Leung and meeting Chow Yun Fat. Nobody knows that he made these films and if i were him i would only open up about these fortunes instead of his career as a dramatic actor. sometimes he just says "i've played sports in the past" and doesn't add anything else.He's a "dog actor", we would say. What more curiosity do you know about Jackie and Lau Kar Leung during the making of the film that fired him? that film is legendary for that too. As much as i adore Jackie i know how megalomaniac and egocentric he could be. Always forgive my embarrassing English.

Edited by JackieRome
  • Like 2

My 2 cents...I have seen movie once..if someone would give me dvd I would hammer it to pieces instead of taking it to 2nd hand store. Would save torture from someone else watching it..there are few bits of ok action around but it is waste of time,.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer

I find this and 'Drunken Monkey' equally insufferable.  Controversial opinion, but once Lau Kar Leung left Shaw Brothers I don't really rate his directorial work (including 'Tiger on the Beat' aka Let's Watch Nina Li Chi Get Smacked Around for No Good Reason).  I only managed to get to the end of 'Drunken Master III' thanks to presence of Michelle Reis.

• Like 4

On 4/4/2020 at 10:32 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

I find this and 'Drunken Monkey' equally insufferable.  Controversial opinion, but once Lau Kar Leung left Shaw Brothers I don't really rate his directorial work (including 'Tiger on the Beat' aka Let's Watch Nina Li Chi Get Smacked Around for No Good Reason).  I only managed to get to the end of 'Drunken Master III' thanks to presence of Michelle Reis.

Imo drunken monkey is lot better movie...Had heard about it`s bad reputation long time before watched it..on 15 mins or so was wtf this is really good stuff....then it starts to drag big time. But patches in the very end when chi kuan chun fights.

At least there is roughly 25 mins of good stuff around, lot more than in DM3

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 2

I haven’t seen DRUNKEN MASTER III, but I have seen DRUNKEN MONKEY and I really liked it, extremely fun and dynamite kung fu choreography, a fitting final bow for both LKL and the Shaw Bros., such a breath of fresh air after so much post-‘94 crap starring CGI-enhanced unskilled pop stars (as opposed to Alan Tam, Leslie Cheung, Jacky Cheung, and Andy Lau), sadly underrated. And did I read a negative comment on TIGER ON THE BEAT above? Bite your tongue sir, TotB is absolutely crackerjack.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 1