Have Sword Will Travel vs. The New One Armed Swordsman

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

I just saw "The New One Armed Swordsman" for the first time and loved it. Cant believe I put it off for so long. 

The whole time I was watching it though I was comparing it in my head to "Have Sword Will Travel" cause it has the same overall feel to me. Also the same main cast in Ti Lung, David Chiang, Li Ching, and Ku Feng. I've always loved this movie.

But if I only had room for one of these movies on my top 10 Chang Cheh movies which one would I choose? Man this is tough. 

Which one would you choose?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chu Liu Hsiang

NEW ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN. Because it's just great, because of David Chiang vs 100 plus Ku Feng on the bridge, because it was the first Shaw movie I've seen and thus has a special place in my heart, because it has lots of moments of tender love, friendship, tragedy, and wickedness, because of the iconic german dub slogan "man müßte drei Schwerter haben" (one should have 3 swords), and because of the beautiful umbrella scene. That said, I also like HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL very much, and not only because it's one of the best movie titles ever. 

NewOneArmedSwordsman+1971-4-b.jpg

Iron_Leopard
11 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

NEW ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN. Because it's just great, because of David Chiang vs 100 plus Ku Feng on the bridge, because it was the first Shaw movie I've seen and thus has a special place in my heart, because it has lots of moments of tender love, friendship, tragedy, and wickedness, because of the iconic german dub slogan "man müßte drei Schwerter haben" (one should have 3 swords), and because of the beautiful umbrella scene. That said, I also like HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL very much, and not only because it's one of the best movie titles ever. 

I also thought it was kind of funny how David was more into Ti Lung than he was into Li Ching. They were bffs.

I guess that's Chang Cheh for ya huh.

12 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I love both as well, but New One Armed Swordsman is one of my top 3/5 David Chiang movies of all time.

Iron_Leopard

I guess I'm going to go with "Have Sword Will Travel".

Because David Chiang is cooler in this and I like the music better. 

Both great movies though.

Archived