Top overrated Shaw Movies

nectarsis

Iron_Leopard
42 minutes ago, morpheus said:

I can definitely agree with you there. Cheng Pei Pei was cute so "Come Drink with Me" was tolerable.  I saw that film on the big screen.

I actually rewatched this last night. I love the movie but forgot how Golden Swallow kind of dissapeared from the second half of the film. 

It was weird how the movie switched to focus on the Drunken cat character. 

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang
57 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

It was weird how the movie switched to focus on the Drunken cat character. 

Actually the original title translate to something like "Big Drunken Hero". 

• Like 3

On 7/7/2020 at 11:05 PM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Actually the original title translate to something like "Big Drunken Hero". 

Yes, because Yueh Hua's character was meant to be the lead and I think that Cheng Pei Pei stole the show...

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 3

On 6/26/2020 at 1:21 PM, CT KID said:

Don't feel bad, I'm gonna say Chinese Super Ninjas and catch even worse! :tongueout

Funny, I just wrote a post on Five Elemental Ninjas on the "most recently watched" thread and also felt that this was not one that high on my list.  I felt the characters were wooden.

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 3

Call to Arms (1971) was very unspectacular and boring to me. I completely forgot what the movie was about by the time it ended. 

• Like 5

Were really going to need an “underrated” thread to redeem ourselves if there isnt one already. Making it come across like we just hate everything lol.

That being said I agree that the reevaluation of merit for certain “classics” is more necesary than people make it out to be, so in no way in aversion to this thread lol.

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 4

I don't like "golden swallow" and "return of the one armed swordsman" and most of the later era films with too much slapstick comedy and annoying characters. I believe I will be in the minority here as I think that is the most loved era of kung fu films in general.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 11:34 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

And then there are ones like Five Shaolin Masters which I like, but don't get the fan fervour for it over other Shaolin cycle efforts such as Heroes Two and Shaolin Martial Arts.

I can't see how anyone can have fan fervor for Shaolin Martial Arts. When he (sort of) remade it as Invincible Shaolin, it was a lot better.

TibetanWhiteCrane
32 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

I can't see how anyone can have fan fervor for Shaolin Martial Arts. When he (sort of) remade it as Invincible Shaolin, it was a lot better.

Don't see that as a remake at all.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

I find both of those rather dreary in between the fights. The latter has way too many static dialogue scenes.

TibetanWhiteCrane
6 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I find both of those rather dreary in between the fights. The latter has way too many static dialogue scenes.

Like both, but can't really argue with your last point. Though I find that to be true for most Venom flicks.

• Like 3

Duel to the Death

Out of the Shaw movies i have seen so far, which is roughly 25-30, i disliked very few. I'm easy to please. Brave Archer and His Mate was a convoluted bore. As convoluted as the first 3 were i kept up with the plots and was entertained. House of Traps should of had more traps and less talking. There was 10 times as many traps in Five Elemental Ninjas. I also had a hard time liking My Young Auntie. I didn't hate it, but i expected something more. 

I liked a lot of the movies people disliked, like Ten Tigers, First 3 Brave Archers, Martial Club, the subpar 36th chamber sequels just to name a few. 

I know the Venoms style of fighting is an acquired taste. Most of it is clang clang clang with the weapons without much substance. Kind of like an acrobatic circus performance. They don't normally get down and gritty like a good old fashioned kung fu fist fight. I still enjoy some of their movies. 

• Like 2

I really don't see what all the fuss is about when it comes to Dirty Ho.  The first forty minutes are pretty solid, but then the movie progressively falls to pieces after that. 

Spoiler

The "pretending to not fight while still blatantly fighting" gimmick doesn't really make sense to me.  Once both characters are aware that the other is on to them, what's the point in keeping the secret?  For that matter, why is Gordon Liu's character more concerned with keeping his martial prowess a secret rather than his royal lineage?  Why do they go to great lengths to not show the villain's face only for it to be revealed as nobody the audience had seen before?  Why is Gordon risking his life to get to Beijing when he explicitly says he doesn't actually want to ascend to the throne?

And I don't say this lightly.  But even for movies from this genre, from that decade, from Shaw Brothers.  That has to be the most awkward, abrupt, and unsatisfying ending I have ever seen.  And that's saying a lot.

It's not a bad movie.  I was entertained.  It has that lavish Shaw production value, slick cinematography, decent editing.  Some of the humor was genuinely funny.  Some of the fights were solid.  It's neither the worst Shaw movie I've seen (Ten Tigers), nor the worst by LKL (Drunken Master 3).   But I've seen this movie make top 100 lists, to the exclusion of 36th Chamber, and I really can't understand why.  I wish I could get even half as much enjoyment out of it as most other people do. 

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 3

Personally agree with executioners from shaolin. Its the multiple times he goes back to fight pai mei and run away like a bitch only to go back years later to get smacked about again. By the time its his sons turn iv seen the scanario too many times to care. Lol.

Also for me, for having heard so much for years and wanting to see shaws horror output (seeding of a ghost, boxers omen, black magic etc) iv found them all really quite boring. The crazy over the top stuff just looks really cheap and joke shop effects (looking at you rubber crocodiles in boxers omen) that just hasnt hit the mark for me.

My young auntie.

Movie goes forward like snail in glue when waiting something interesting to happen. Kara Hui is great but Hsiao Ho is poison, big annoy here.

2 hours it`s much too long, among bottom 5 by LKL. I had memory it was good one but obviously false one as it`s been eternity since last view before revisit from Scope#2 yesterday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

The Spiritual Boxer underwhelmed me.

I couldn't even get through the entirety of The Spiritual Boxer. I found it utterly dull.