Top overrated Shaw Movies

nectarsis

What are the Shaw films you find overrated/overhyped...or just plain bad (and why)?

Edited by nectarsis
  • Like 3

Martial Club,was so looking forward to this but apart from the Lau Kar Fei vs Wang Lung Wei finale there was nothing to write home about,for me it just seemed to drag.😔

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Iron_Leopard

First two that came to mind where "Executioners of Shaolin" and "Ten Tigers of Kwantung".

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

First two that came to mind where "Executioners of Shaolin" and "Ten Tigers of Kwantung".

Executioners definitely,I already new that ten tigers was basically two movies made into one so when I saw it for the first time wasn’t that disappointed,in fact I quite enjoyed it.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

For me it's Eight Diagram Pole Fighter. (I know I'm gonna take flack for this)

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, JackieRome said:

Everyone knows how I think. for me all films with Venoms are ridiculous in many ways. Legendary Weapons of China, I didn't see him twice and he never convinced me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JackieRome said:

Everyone knows how I think. for me all films with Venoms are ridiculous in many ways

Can we consider that to be a sin? :coveredlaugh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, morpheus said:

For me it's Eight Diagram Pole Fighter. (I know I'm gonna take flack for this)

Don't feel bad, I'm gonna say Chinese Super Ninjas and catch even worse! :tongueout

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 Deadly Venoms for sure for me. Not even in my top 5 venoms flicks.

Most of the Shaolin Cycle movies are over rated in my opinion, and Heroes Two which I think is the best, is underrated.

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

Drunken Monk

Legendary Weapons of China is just bad, Eight Diagram... is overrated and, while I think Five Deadly Venoms is great, It doesn’t necessarily deserve its “kung fu classic” status as it doesn’t really feature that much kung fu.

• Like 6

On 6/26/2020 at 2:20 PM, paimeifist said:

Ouch, better check myself; think something might be missing. :)

• Like 3

On 6/26/2020 at 7:20 PM, paimeifist said:

Agreed... a solid "mystery/thriller" in a way, but def WAAAAAY overhyped...almost universally 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nectarsis said:

Agreed... a solid "mystery/thriller" in a way, but def WAAAAAY overhyped...almost universally 

Yeah, I mean it’s pretty good. The mystique and lore is really cool, but the movie just isn’t all that great. Especially compared to other work from the same crew.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Sun Chung said:

All Lau Kar-leung movies exept 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

Well you’re just trying to be controversial now.

Thats not even his best film!

• Like 7

So many good things to say about Lau Kar Leung, not only can he choreograph the s*@t out of a fight scene but he also knows how to move a camera. I rewatched Dirty Ho the other day and was taken back by the quality of the sets and camera work on display. Same with Executioners and the Red Boat scenes, it FEELS like a movie, not just a cheap kung fu film (as much as I like the indies) So yeah LKL is a film maker, who also teaches you a thing or two about Kung Fu and actually wrote some half decent characters for women too as they are equally a part of Kung Fu history. 

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Ramji said:

So many good things to say about Lau Kar Leung, not only can he choreograph the s*@t out of a fight scene but he also knows how to move a camera. I rewatched Dirty Ho the other day and was taken back by the quality of the sets and camera work on display. Same with Executioners and the Red Boat scenes, it FEELS like a movie, not just a cheap kung fu film (as much as I like the indies) So yeah LKL is a film maker, who also teaches you a thing or two about Kung Fu and actually wrote some half decent characters for women too as they are equally a part of Kung Fu history. 

I mean.. Heroes of the East is one of the best martial arts films ever.. and a good example of all of the traits you mentioned in your post.

If anything, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin is probably his most “over rated” movie, and I love that movie.

• Like 4

BigDruDogg

Like you guys mentioned mine will definitely be controversial as well...But "Come Drink With Me" and pretty much all of King Hu's library I could never get into...:BL-Sad:

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

I find most Shaw films "rated" appropriately.... though there are bad ones, such as Friends, Journey of Doom, Coward Bastard and so on.

And then there are ones like Five Shaolin Masters which I like, but don't get the fan fervour for it over other Shaolin cycle efforts such as Heroes Two and Shaolin Martial Arts.

Return to the 36th Chamber is another one. I like certain aspects of it, but think it was a huge misstep on LKL's part to go down the comedy route for a follow-up to philosophical masterpiece like the first one. Like I also think that remaking My Young Auntie in a modern setting only two years later with Lady is the Boss was a bit lazy and not that great of a movie. 

I find Flag of Iron quite the bore, though I know a lot of people really love it. Again, a Shaw director remaking his own earlier work and doing a worse job of it.

• Like 5

Graeme Of Death

A few of the convoluted cast of a thousand "epics" I find over rated and not to my taste. Emperor and his Brothers, Ten Tigers From Kwantung , Brave Archer etc

• Like 5

NoKUNGFUforYU

36th Chambers and the Venoms. I mean is that all we can see at rivals? Most of the Venoms films were bombs after a couple of years. Much rather see something not on the big screen in decades like King Eagle.

• Like 3

On 6/30/2020 at 10:35 PM, BigDruDogg said:

Like you guys mentioned mine will definitely be controversial as well...But "Come Drink With Me" and pretty much all of King Hu's library I could never get into...:BL-Sad:

I can definitely agree with you there. Cheng Pei Pei was cute so "Come Drink with Me" was tolerable.  I saw that film on the big screen.

• Like 4