Things I Hate or Find Funny in Kung Fu Movies

Duel to the Death

Babies crying is like nails on a chalkboard. In the second half of Soul Of Swords , Jimmy Wang Yu’s baby cries so much that I actually turned the volume down and just read the subtitles on a few parts lol. 

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang
53 minutes ago, HeavenSword said:

Babies crying is like nails on a chalkboard. 

I also loathe when they give children dub voices that seem to come right out of an animated movie for 3 year olds, people obviously disguising their voices, sounding like syrup. Terrible. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Killer Meteor
On 9/16/2020 at 4:19 PM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I also loathe when they give children dub voices that seem to come right out of an animated movie for 3 year olds, people obviously disguising their voices, sounding like syrup. Terrible. 

The helium voiced kid in Godzilla vs Megalon comes to mind!

• Like 4

Secret Executioner
On 9/16/2020 at 4:22 PM, HeavenSword said:

Babies crying is like nails on a chalkboard. In the second half of Soul Of Swords , Jimmy Wang Yu’s baby cries so much that I actually turned the volume down and just read the subtitles on a few parts lol. 

That reminds me of one movie (can't remember its title nor the star sadly) where there's a fight scene and the main character's wife and kid (IIRC, or at least some "supporting" cast) keep crying and whining through the whole scene and that's just UNBEARABLE.

• Like 3

Secret Executioner

An aspect that I hate in Fu cinema is "stupid bully henchmen".

You know, these guys who will randomly harass waitresses (or really any female character) and harmless people (like old guys) just because they work for the big baddy and they are supposed to be bad... Rather than giving them any weight, it wastes time and comes across as obnoxious as we know they are really useless morons and any competent fighter will beat their asses and that will sometimes lead to their boss also beating them (boss who usually is a waaaaaay more competent fighter than his henchmen combined but won't get involved until the end of the film).

• Like 5

Secret Executioner
On 6/20/2020 at 5:03 AM, SMK said:

This is a very respectable list. I especially agree with number 3. :wink

Crap, our actor got loaded with cartoon sound effects. :monk_laughing:

On 7/19/2020 at 4:59 PM, ukrevrend said:

Kung Fu Zombie - Billy Chong undercranking at it's worst!

Kung Fu Zombie Trailer

bless

What the hell did I just watch ?! Looks like a 1980s New Wave music video. Or was it because of the music ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

While this is not something that happens with frequency, it annoyed me.  Bruce Lee's cardboard cut out in Game of Death.

Screenshot (1).png

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

Whenever they practice their skills at trees, and thus fell or split them! #treehuggersunite

18 hours ago, morpheus said:

Bruce Lee's cardboard cut out in Game of Death

Prior to watching I already knew the movie includes some questionable scenes but I had not been prepared for this, erm, SFX!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Its funny when the voice dubber try to "conceal" their real voice , for example on He-Man where in one episode Erwin voiced an evil frog man lol , or Big Boss voice dubber also dubbing one of Chengs relatives , he he ;)

(due to budget they only had 4-5 voices on He-Man so i will cut them some slack......)

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 6

That Bolo always have to die , why cant he for once survive despite being a bad guy :/

Sometimes i feel like Bolo is among the few highlights in the lesser films hes done

That kf films often do not have a budget for soundtracks and borrows music

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 5

I've got a couple:

1. I hate it when movies end right after the last fight is over. It just feels really lazy.
  2. Overly long fight scenes that overstay their welcome. I have actually gone to sleep during a few movies because I just got bored during a fight. 
  3. Hate is too big a word(There are quite a few exceptions), so I will say that I don't usually prefer movies employing, what I guess would be called Traditional Martial Arts( With the elaborate styles and such). I usually like what I will call Bruce-Lee's Style of Fighting, that is faster and more practical. That is one of the reasons that I usually like Martial Art movies set in more modern time than period pieces. 
  • Like 6

Yu Tien Lung

My all time pet peeve is when a female character dresses up in men's clothes but still looks completely like a woman, and everybody is fooled.

Then later on in the movie everybody is "OH you're a woman?!!"

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Yu Tien Lung said:

My all time pet peeve is when a female character dresses up in men's clothes but still looks completely like a woman, and everybody is fooled.

Then later on in the movie everybody is "OH you're a woman?!!"

I defiantly agree with this. Whenever that happens I'm like, "Guys, are you seriously that blind?" lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yu Tien Lung
26 minutes ago, DarthKato said:

I defiantly agree with this. Whenever that happens I'm like, "Guys, are you seriously that blind?" lol

Yea well if someone had used this technique it would have blown the cover.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/1vNhzn2.gif[/img]

....... and if it would have happened nowadays there would have been a lawsuit.

• Like 3

Cognoscente
On 7/19/2020 at 3:59 PM, ukrevrend said:

Kung Fu Zombie - Billy Chong undercranking at it's worst!

Kung Fu Zombie Trailer

bless

I don't usually like undercranking but the world of the supernatural calls for it.

• Like 2