Things I Hate or Find Funny in Kung Fu Movies

Duel to the Death

Duel to the Death

1. When enemies use bows and arrows. I prefer movies where it's straight up hand to hand combat or hand weapons. Bows and Arrows are so unfair. It's only cool in movies when the person being shot at has some special kung fu and can deflect them. But most of the movies i have seen lately it just results in unfair death. 

2. When someone is using a hand weapon and during the fighting the weapon completely changes hands for a second only for the person who lost it to get it back with no issues. It's so unrealistic. The other person should have the weapon now. 

3. When companies think it's a good idea to add extra sound effects in their releases that were not there originally and they sound so hideous. Who in their right minds thought this was a good idea? Fire them now. (I'm cheating with this one.) :)

4. Annoying characters with moles, red noses or buck teeth. It can be funny sometimes if done right, but most times it's just annoying. 

Is there anything you hate? 

Edited by Duel to the Death
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, Duel to the Death said:

3. When companies think it's a good idea to add extra sound effects in their releases that were not there originally and they sound so hideous.

This is a very respectable list. I especially agree with number 3. :wink

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Chu Liu Hsiang

I agree to your list, these things can come close to spoil a movie. The one thing I REALLY HATE though are scenes including cruelty to animals.

@SMKHilarious :D Did you work at the sound effects or is this taken from a real release?  

• Like 7

Also when heroes/heroines and their lovers have to part with each other due to social rules or loyalty to an oath made before they fight the villains together...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bigrogie said:

When at the end Hwang Jang Lee always gets killed by such inferior fighters.......

Here! Here! Preach on, brother!

• Like 6

Undercranking to ridiculous levels,most of these guys are fast enough so no need.I love rebellious reign and the fact the bad guys win so like bigrogie said when the villain is obviously far superior he still gets whooped by a good guy/girlwho learn a new technique but he or she still don’t look that great but get awarded a dubious win.👍

• Like 5

Add another for over the top undercranking, there are some movies that could have been great, but are merely average just for this reason alone.

Here's another one that about 90% of our beloved movies suffer from, a movie ending immediately after "the bad guy" is beaten. It really sucks when a movie actually does have decent story and character development.

Completely unnecessary rape scenes. 

When fight scenes get too "dancey" to the point where it looks completely impractical. This is something that bothers me more now than it did when I was first getting into the genre (I used to love this style of choreography, and maybe even prefer it).

• Like 9

Duel to the Death

I'll add when a fight scene takes too long for either side to get a hit in. Too much blocking and not enough hitting. I prefer when one side or other gets a few hits in more often.  Even better if both sides gets hits in so it's not 1 sided. I mean i do appreciate when both fighters are equal and neither can get a hit in, but some movies drag this on a little too long. 

Or when someone has invincible armor and they purposely let the other person hit them over and over. I get it, you think the other person can't find your week spot and you are showing off. But try a little harder to not get hit. lol

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Duel to the Death said:

I'll add when a fight scene takes too long for either side to get a hit in. Too much blocking and not enough hitting. I prefer when one side or other gets a few hits in more often.  Even better if both sides gets hits in so it's not 1 sided. I mean i do appreciate when both fighters are equal and neither can get a hit in, but some movies drag this on a little too long. 

Or when someone has invincible armor and they purposely let the other person hit them over and over. I get it, you think the other person can't find your week spot and you are showing off. But try a little harder to not get hit. lol

Hahaha! You reminded me of another, that I'm amazed hasn't been mentioned already.

When one person is fighting a giant group, and they fight them one at a time, while the rest are in the background swaying back and forth and making "scared sounds" while their partner is fighting.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Duel to the Death
1 minute ago, paimeifist said:

When one person is fighting a giant group, and they fight them one at a time, while the rest are in the background swaying back and forth and making "scared sounds" while their partner is fighting.

Ya lol. If they all attacked at once these fights would be over in 2 seconds and the hero would always lose. :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I hate when the dubbing changes the Chinese names to English ones.

Lo Mang dying in the majority of the Venoms films.

A martial artists can jump on top of roofs, yet can't seem to use that ability when its needed the most.

Edited by venom10463
  • Like 8

On 6/20/2020 at 2:49 PM, sym8 said:

Undercranking to ridiculous levels,most of these guys are fast enough so no need.I love rebellious reign and the fact the bad guys win so like bigrogie said when the villain is obviously far superior he still gets whooped by a good guy/girlwho learn a new technique but he or she still don’t look that great but get awarded a dubious win.👍

Opium and the Kung Fu Master...some of the worst undercranking I've ever seen.

• Like 5

ShaOW!linDude
On 6/22/2020 at 1:24 PM, nectarsis said:

Opium and the Kung Fu Master...some of the worst undercranking I've ever seen.

Maybe because it didn't have any. I remember those fights being so slooooooow. Must have been all the opium they smoked.

It always irks me when the hero goes through extensive training sequences, which are cool, but then applies nothing from them in the finale. Uh, what was the point?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Maybe because it didn't have any. I remember those fights being so slooooooow. Must have been all the opium they smoked.

It always irks me when the hero goes through extensive training sequences, which are cool, but then applies nothing from them in the finale. Uh, what was the point?

Maybe im mixing up movies, but i remember 2 groups (schools) fighting in a resteraunt/inn setting where the undercranking was so fast it was comical...maybe some bad PAL to NTSC goofiness?

• Like 2

Duel to the Death

Can anybody provide me of a clip of undercranking? I never heard the term before this thread. I might have an idea but i'm not for sure. 

• Like 2

it means sped-up action

It comes from the age of cameras with cranks. You would rotate the crank to film, literally. Under-cranking meant to crank slower, lowering the Frames per second captured by the camera, which would result in faster-looking footage. Over-cranking increased the frames captured by second, which would result in slow motion.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 5

ShaOW!linDude
50 minutes ago, Duel to the Death said:

And what is a good definition of undercranking?

Undercranking is a film technique used mainly in the 70's, 80's, & 90's where the film is dragged slightly slower through the camera as filming occurs. Then when it is played at normal speed, the movements have a touch, and I mean a touch, of speed to them. It helps with the flow and rhythm, especially in the depiction of the fight choreography.

You've probably seen it and just weren't aware of it because it is almost an imperceptible difference. Donnie Yen's Legend of the Wolf is an instance of undercranking that is too undercranked. He's naturally fast as it is, but many of the fight sequences in that are almost comically fast. 

• Like 6

ShaOW!linDude
2 hours ago, nectarsis said:

...maybe some bad PAL to NTSC goofiness?

That's possible I guess.

• Like 2

Duel to the Death
2 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Undercranking is a film technique used mainly in the 70's, 80's, & 90's where the film is dragged slightly slower through the camera as filming occurs. Then when it is played at normal speed, the movements have a touch, and I mean a touch, of speed to them. It helps with the flow and rhythm, especially in the depiction of the fight choreography.

You've probably seen it and just weren't aware of it because it is almost an imperceptible difference. Donnie Yen's Legend of the Wolf is an instance of undercranking that is too undercranked. He's naturally fast as it is, but many of the fight sequences in that are almost comically fast. 

Legend of the Wolf is on Youtube and i see what you mean. I do think i recall in plenty of poorly made Kung Fu movies where the fighting is sped up and not natural looking

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

When likable civilians help the heroes and later on get killed because they refuse to betray them (we all know the villains would have killed them anyways). 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

When "The End" pops before the finale fight is even over. Talk about cheating the audience! Someone was just talking about this in 60 Second Assassin thread the other day but seen it in other films as well.

• Like 6

On 6/25/2020 at 5:02 PM, Duel to the Death said:

Can anybody provide me of a clip of undercranking? I never heard the term before this thread. I might have an idea but i'm not for sure. 

Kung Fu Zombie - Billy Chong undercranking at it's worst!

Kung Fu Zombie Trailer

bless

• Like 2
  • Haha 3