Question Regarding the Bruce Lee Doubles in Game of Death

Josh Baker

Ok there's something I need to settle and I need all of your help. It is referred in most articles on the matter that a Hong Kong businessman called Albert Sham was one of the doubles for Bruce Lee in the 1978 Game of Death. When they mean Albert Sham, are they referring to this man:

image.png.b40366ed9fe86f6fd71763aeaa792a1e.png

Or an entirely different Albert Sham altogether? Because he is the only Albert Sham that comes up on internet search results, and he is a businessman from Hong Kong.

Also, who is Chen Yao Po? He is listed as a Lee double on some sites but I can't find any information on him whatsoever; are Chen Yao Po and Albert Sham one in the same person, or as this picture claims, are they are two different people:

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, meme, text that says "Chen Yao-po as "Billy Lo" Albert Sham as "Billy Lo""

The reason I am so interested is that I am writing an article about Game of Death and want to get the information right. The information so far about these Lee doubles has been hazy.

Thank you all, and stay safe! ✌

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shukocarl1441996347
On 6/10/2020 at 2:28 AM, Josh Baker said:

Ok there's something I need to settle and I need all of your help. It is referred in most articles on the matter that a Hong Kong businessman called Albert Sham was one of the doubles for Bruce Lee in the 1978 Game of Death. When they mean Albert Sham, are they referring to this man:

image.png.b40366ed9fe86f6fd71763aeaa792a1e.png

Or an entirely different Albert Sham altogether? Because he is the only Albert Sham that comes up on internet search results, and he is a businessman from Hong Kong.

Also, who is Chen Yao Po? He is listed as a Lee double on some sites but I can't find any information on him whatsoever; are Chen Yao Po and Albert Sham one in the same person, or as this picture claims, are they are two different people:

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, meme, text that says "Chen Yao-po as "Billy Lo" Albert Sham as "Billy Lo""

The reason I am so interested is that I am writing an article about Game of Death and want to get the information right. The information so far about these Lee doubles has been hazy.

Thank you all, and stay safe! ✌

Firstly I've never heard of Albert Sham. Chen Yao Po WAS the Hong Kong businessman who played Billy Lo in the Dramatic scenes. He had no desire for any publicity and AFAIK it was his only screen role. Obviously Kim Tai Jong was the fighting double and DID feature as a dramatic double in a couple of scenes where he didn't speak (for instance, where Billy visits Ann when she's recording a song). He was also doubled himself by Yuen Biao and Mars For Sing.

1 hour ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Firstly I've never heard of Albert Sham. Chen Yao Po WAS the Hong Kong businessman who played Billy Lo in the Dramatic scenes. He had no desire for any publicity and AFAIK it was his only screen role. Obviously Kim Tai Jong was the fighting double and DID feature as a dramatic double in a couple of scenes where he didn't speak (for instance, where Billy visits Ann when she's recording a song). He was also doubled himself by Yuen Biao and Mars For Sing.

Huh that's interesting. I didnt know Mars doubled for Kim Tai Chung. So this Albert Sham was never involved? And also is there anymore info at all out there on Chen Yao Po, because I can literally find nothing 

shukocarl1441996347
10 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Huh that's interesting. I didnt know Mars doubled for Kim Tai Chung. So this Albert Sham was never involved? And also is there anymore info at all out there on Chen Yao Po, because I can literally find nothing 

No more out there on Chen Yao Po. He was a businessman that Raymond Chow knew who went back to his real job after the film.

Just now, shukocarl1441996347 said:

No more out there on Chen Yao Po. He was a businessman that Raymond Chow knew who went back to his real job after the film.

Thanks for the information. I never thought he looked that much like Bruce Lee in the first place lol

shukocarl1441996347
Just now, Josh Baker said:

Thanks for the information. I never thought he looked that much like Bruce Lee in the first place lol

Me neither! BTW Mars was photographed from behind and did some of the stuff in the Warehouse section of the film.

1 hour ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Me neither! BTW Mars was photographed from behind and did some of the stuff in the Warehouse section of the film.

Do you know what scenes Mars was photographed from behind are?

shukocarl1441996347
1 hour ago, Josh Baker said:

Do you know what scenes Mars was photographed from behind are?

Not sure really but, one of them is a side-kick on one of the motorbike riders and a jump side kick into one. You can tell from the shorter hair style.

2 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Not sure really but, one of them is a side-kick on one of the motorbike riders and a jump side kick into one. You can tell from the shorter hair style.

Oh that's very interesting I always thought that was Yuen Biao doing those kicks 

shukocarl1441996347
2 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Oh that's very interesting I always thought that was Yuen Biao doing those kicks 

I was told it was Mars...but hey! we could both be wrong! Lol

Killer Meteor

Mars is the Bruce Lee double at the beginning of Fist of Unicorn, so he had past experience lol.

Can't say I've ever heard of Albert Shum or Chen Yao-Po... but, Shum and Chen could be two versions of the same surname. 

The former Cantonese, the latter Mandarin. 

7 minutes ago, Markgway said:

Can't say I've ever heard of Albert Shum or Chen Yao-Po... but, Shum and Chen could be two versions of the same surname. 

Ah, thank you sir! That makes a lot more sense now, the Albert Sham I found on Facebook is obviously a coincidence...or maybe HE'S Chen Yao Po...probably not lol... although I do find the idea of a flamboyant fashion/furniture businessman doubling for Bruce Lee quite funny😂

22 hours ago, Markgway said:

Markgway! Holy crap. Good to see you. What you been doing since 'Nam? 

On 6/18/2020 at 7:37 AM, mpm74 said:

Markgway! Holy crap. Good to see you. What you been doing since 'Nam? 

Thanks, man.

I've been lurking in the shadows waiting for my time to reemerge as the saviour of Gotham. 

19 hours ago, Markgway said:

Thanks, man.

I've been lurking in the shadows waiting for my time to reemerge as the saviour of Gotham. 

lol

good to see you man, its been ages :)

Thanks, guys. 

BTW. That Albert Shum dude really does look like the "acting" Bruce from GOD.

I think we have a match. 

2 hours ago, Markgway said:

Thanks, guys. 

BTW. That Albert Shum dude really does look like the "acting" Bruce from GOD.

I think we have a match. 

I thought I was onto something! I love the idea of this guy being a Bruce Lee double; it would tickle the life outta me, this guy doubling for the icon of Asian machismo! I would get in touch with him if I was brave enough too 😁

On 6/25/2020 at 9:14 PM, Josh Baker said:

I thought I was onto something! I love the idea of this guy being a Bruce Lee double; it would tickle the life outta me, this guy doubling for the icon of Asian machismo! I would get in touch with him if I was brave enough too 😁

I dares ya! ;)

On 6/25/2020 at 9:14 PM, Josh Baker said:

Do it! Send him a screenshot with a question mark lol! It couldn’t hurt to try making contact via a polite message or something. 

Archived