Hsu Feng

ShawAngela

ShawAngela

No thread devoted to this actress either..

She is on my list of favorite actresses since I saw her in the movie White Butterfly Killer many years ago (and I need to watch again this movie ; I don' t remember a single line of the plot, except that she was a furious fighter in it).

I had already seen her in A touch of zen and Raining in the mountain, but I had found these movies just so-so (of course! I was so used to movies such as Furious ultimatum or Rage of the masters, so, it was a surprising change for me !), so, I wasn't very impressed by her at that time..

The only thing that disturbs me a little bit with Hsu Feng is that she never looks happy in her movies ; her face shows always a kind of cold expression and the only movies I remember to have seen her showing a very tiny smile are The great hunter  and The invincible sword.

What do you all think of this actress ?

Is she still alive  ?

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

I liked Hsu Feng in the movies I've seen so far, and I like her rather grim expression. Maybe she did not get any coffee before filming ;)  She seems very authentic in historical movies. I guess she must have been famous for her expression, or the producers/ directors would not have cast her for their movies? Difficult to imagine in today's "all smiles" societies. I would not be surprised if she would be laughing a lot in "real life" as it is often said that people are totally different in private but just speculating here. 

She is chairwoman and executive director of this company http://www.tomson.com.hk/index_en.asp  I was happily surprised that wikipedia has rather a lot of info on her, and I had no idea she successfully worked as producer in the 90s! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hsu_Feng

Long life Hsu Feng!

• Like 4

Cognoscente

I find it interesting that she quit acting but still continued to produce movies. We missed out on getting to see her strut herself in the new wave of HK cinema. Even Josephine Siao made a comeback.

Screenshot 2021-06-16 110644.jpg

636f8dabd0b8418a5c50a10255831349_30202383874763.jpg

• Like 3

Cognoscente

The more that I see of her and read about her, the more that I can appreciate how lucky for Lo Wei and Jackie Chan to work with her on To Kill with Intrigue.

02fb95c76ab49acfaa_b.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600 (86).jpg

imgonline-com-ua-Auto-Contrast-pyGKK9PHGsE21y.jpg

s-l1600 - 2021-06-18T094050.887.jpg

s-l1600 (18).jpg

s-l1600 (88).jpg

10455004_268581013329555_7962611549902487836_o.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

1974-nov-hong-kong-movie-news_1_a077dee1d0dc99c2bbc5be37dd927cc5.jpg

s-l1600 (92).jpg

s-l500.jpg

shaw-brothers-hong-kong-movie-news_1_c8eaec00836fd5f2ad37f431d8063503 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (44).jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

I love the second picture, she looks a little bit like Ching Li, here.

And for the last page with four pictures, except Shan Kuan Ling Fung, I don't recognize any of the other actresses ! Who are they ? I'm sure that when you'll give me the names, I'll say "oh, yes, of course !!"

• Like 2

Cognoscente

Chen Chen joined Polly and Hsu for the photo shoot. They should have done a Chinese version of Charlie's Angels.

• Like 3

Shame on me, I didn't even recognize Xu Feng on the top left picture !!

Yes, Zhen Zhen is alos a great actress, it would have been great to have the three of them in the same movie, you are right.

• Like 2

Archival Interview snippet with Hsu Feng and Frederic Ambrosine from the 2003 Cannes Film Festival recently uploaded to his channel. Ambrosine mentions he used around a minute of this footage but plans to use the longer 10 min version in a future project.

Screenshot_2023-08-16 (2) Facebook.png

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 5:46 PM, Cognoscente said:

12244733_477733342414320_3034961446323612711_o.jpg

What she is holding?some japanese weapon? Don't recall seeing thing like that before...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ChillyChong said:

What she is holding?some japanese weapon? Don't recall seeing thing like that before...

It  looks like a picture from either Raining on the mountain or Legend of the mountain. Maybe it's a sword hidden in a bamboo roll, in which she hid what she was supposed to steal in the temple in one of these movies, I don't remember which one.

Unless it's simply an umbrella...

• Like 2

Was just looking at her filmography and realized I've seen all of her martial arts / action films except for 2:

Woman of the Hour (1978)

Mr Kwong Tung and the Robber (1980)

Anyone know if either of these are (or were) available anywhere? They both look like they could be good.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/24/2021 at 6:45 PM, Cognoscente said:

She wasn't exactly Angela Mao. She was more like Leung Kar-Yan i.e. she got into it after the fact.

Do you know what styles she practiced once her film career took off?

• Like 1