Is it ok that I'm not a big Venoms fan?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

I do like a few of their movies with "Masked Avengers" and "Invincable Shaolin" being my favorites.

But in general I just find their movies a chore to sit through. They even come across as more repetitive than Chor Yuens Gu Long films. But I actually like those.

I hope I dont get crucified as I know the Venoms for many are the peak of Shaw Brothers Entertainment. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is perfectly fine not to be a die-hard Venoms fan. I personally do not believe the Venoms are the "peak of Shaw Brothers Entertainment". The actual 'Five Venoms' film besides the opening, introductory scene, is not the best the SB's have to offer. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, not everyone is the biggest fan of Bruce Lee or his movies. 

I am a huge Gordon Liu fan, but I've ready where others are not the biggest fan of his or his work ( I personally don't see why or how is this possible :sad), but I definitely respect everyone's personal opinion, people like what they like. 

I also really enjoyed Invincible Shaolin.  

Iron_Leopard
3 hours ago, SMK said:

It is perfectly fine not to be a die-hard Venoms fan. I personally do not believe the Venoms are the "peak of Shaw Brothers Entertainment". The actual 'Five Venoms' film besides the opening, introductory scene, is not the best the SB's have to offer. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, not everyone is the biggest fan of Bruce Lee or his movies. 

I am a huge Gordon Liu fan, but I've ready where others are not the biggest fan of his or his work ( I personally don't see why or how is this possible :sad), but I definitely respect everyone's personal opinion, people like what they like. 

I also really enjoyed Invincible Shaolin.  

I wonder when it comes to Gordon Liu if people think hes maybe a one trick pony as the Shaolin Monk. I'm definitely not suggesting that but that could possibly be one reason some may not care for him. Stars like Lo Lieh and Ti Lung had a lot more variety in their roles.

I also wonder if maybe the Venoms phenomenon is more a western thing then it was at the time in HK. Maybe I'm not in the minority as much as I think I am.

Yeah it's always cool to like or not like according to your own individual tastes, personally I never cared for Chor Yuen movies cause I found them boring as hell. But I do admit that I love Magic Blade!

Whaaaa? No love for the V? Lol.  Actually years back it was a little taboo to say anything negative against them, and I while I love their films, I can also see how they can be a little redundant for some viewers. I actually haven’t watched one in a few years.  

20 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I do like a few of their movies with "Masked Avengers" and "Invincable Shaolin" being my favorites.

But in general I just find their movies a chore to sit through. They even come across as more repetitive than Chor Yuens Gu Long films. But I actually like those.

I hope I dont get crucified as I know the Venoms for many are the peak of Shaw Brothers Entertainment. 

No, its not OK..... Just kidding.  Different films and stars for different tastes.  Some people like Derek Yee Tong-Sing; I personally am not a big fan of his, although I have grown to respect him as I watch a greater number of films in which he appears.  You're all good!!!

P.S.  For the record, I don't care for Donnie Yen much either.

NoKUNGFUforYU

The Venoms were nowhere near as popular at the time as they are now. They had some films that did well, but for the most part Chang and his crew lost money as the years went on. They reflected a sort of fatalism that people did not care for. HK was looking for plucky heroes, hence Jackie, Yuen Biao and Sammo focused on the future and comedy. Fu Sheng was on that track as well before he passed. Also, they got a little to far in the acrobatics for me. It doesn't have to be MMA, but it just looks silly at times as they help each other do flips when they should be fighting. 

Iron_Leopard
1 minute ago, makone said:

I have never seen any of them. 

Whoa that's brave of you to admit lol.

I have not seen many Shaws to be honest. I like the lau kar Leung movies

king boxer, flying guillotine movies.

Watched the brave archer movies and hated them so left Shaws alone for a while but never got back round to them.

32 minutes ago, makone said:

I have not seen many Shaws to be honest. I like the lau kar Leung movies

king boxer, flying guillotine movies.

Watched the brave archer movies and hated them so left Shaws alone for a while but never got back round to them.

The Brave Archer was Fu Sheng -who was sometimes placed in films for comedic reasons.  You may want to try some of the Venom films as a change of pace.....although Chiang Sheng was at times used like Fu Sheng,

Duel to the Death

I like the Venom Clan but their choreography is lacking. They seem to go for flashy cool factor then making their fights more realistic. And most of their movies they use weapons. Most of their fights are Clang Clang Clang over and over. I prefer to see fights like the ones in Knockabout. Man i love the fights in that movie. But sometimes i enjoy a movie just for it's cool factor alone, like 5 Deadly Venom's. 

I'm starting to like the Venom Clan the more i see their movies. But some are not as great as others. House of Traps was hard to follow. But Kid with the Golden Arm was easier to follow and lots of action. When there is enough action the story doesn't matter as much. In almost every Venom's movie after 5 Deadly Venom's, Philip Kwok steals the show. If it wasn't for him they wouldn't be as entertaining. Honestly before last month i had only seen 5 Deadly Venom's all they way through for sure. I have just become fans of theirs recently. They are not for everybody. 

6 hours ago, Duel to the Death said:

I like the Venom Clan but their choreography is lacking. They seem to go for flashy cool factor then making their fights more realistic. And most of their movies they use weapons. Most of their fights are Clang Clang Clang over and over. I prefer to see fights like the ones in Knockabout. Man i love the fights in that movie. But sometimes i enjoy a movie just for it's cool factor alone, like 5 Deadly Venom's. 

I'm starting to like the Venom Clan the more i see their movies. But some are not as great as others. House of Traps was hard to follow. But Kid with the Golden Arm was easier to follow and lots of action. When there is enough action the story doesn't matter as much. In almost every Venom's movie after 5 Deadly Venom's, Philip Kwok steals the show. If it wasn't for him they wouldn't be as entertaining. Honestly before last month i had only seen 5 Deadly Venom's all they way through for sure. I have just become fans of theirs recently. They are not for everybody. 

I know this is a Shaw Brother's thread, but if you like Knockabout with Yuen Biao, you may want to try Prodigal Son, Magnificent Butcher, or even some of his later films like Millionaire's Express and Kid from Tibet if you have not already.  Yuen's leg work really improved in his later films, much better extension on his kicks.  I heard he was a pupil of Tan Tao Liang for while.  Seven Grand Masters with Li I-Min has some great choreography by Corey Yuen Kwai.

Back on track, the Venom mob tended to showcase their acrobatic skills which is cool as the action scenes mixed these with the martial arts.  Kuo Chui is the most versatile actor among the group.  Iron Leopard mentioned Masked Avengers -which was actually a good film; more so than House of Traps.  Invincible Shaolin is a fairly good Venom Mob film as well.

Duel to the Death
6 hours ago, morpheus said:

I know this is a Shaw Brother's thread, but if you like Knockabout with Yuen Biao, you may want to try Prodigal Son, Magnificent Butcher, or even some of his later films like Millionaire's Express and Kid from Tibet if you have not already.  Yuen's leg work really improved in his later films, much better extension on his kicks.  I heard he was a pupil of Tan Tao Liang for while.  Seven Grand Masters with Li I-Min has some great choreography by Corey Yuen Kwai.

Back on track, the Venom mob tended to showcase their acrobatic skills which is cool as the action scenes mixed these with the martial arts.  Kuo Chui is the most versatile actor among the group.  Iron Leopard mentioned Masked Avengers -which was actually a good film; more so than House of Traps.  Invincible Shaolin is a fairly good Venom Mob film as well.

I have not seen Millionaire's Express or Kid from Tibet but seen some of his other movies. I'll have to check those out. 

I watched 5 Deadly Venoms last night, I enjoyed it but didn’t love it.

I watched five elements ninja right after liked that a little more.

5 hours ago, Duel to the Death said:

I have not seen Millionaire's Express or Kid from Tibet

You absolutely have to watch A kid form Tibet, it's great !!

On 6/9/2020 at 8:06 AM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

The Venoms were nowhere near as popular at the time as they are now. They had some films that did well, but for the most part Chang and his crew lost money as the years went on. They reflected a sort of fatalism that people did not care for. HK was looking for plucky heroes, hence Jackie, Yuen Biao and Sammo focused on the future and comedy. Fu Sheng was on that track as well before he passed. Also, they got a little to far in the acrobatics for me. It doesn't have to be MMA, but it just looks silly at times as they help each other do flips when they should be fighting. 

1978 seemed to be the peak of the genre, there were a lot of great martial arts films from that year; unfortunately, as you mentioned, people's tastes began to shift.....and very quickly.  By the start of the next decade the quality of swordplay films were nowhere near those of the 70s.  Films like Eight Diagram Pole Fighter and Opium and The Kung Fu Master were some of the last entries for the Shaw stable and that was 1983 -a mere five years following films like: Five Venoms, 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Avenging Eagle, Invincible Shaolin, and Heroes of the East to name a few.  That created dry spells for a lot of the actors -even versatile ones like Ti Lung and David Chiang had difficulty finding good roles during the early to mid-80s. Speaking of Ti Lung, I have yet to see The Kid from the Big Apple or the sequel, I heard he does an excellent job in them.

Archived