A Life of Ninja (1983)

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

Anyone have any pics, screencaps, hi res, lo res, lobby cards or any images whatsoever from the 1983 Lee Tso Nam flick, A Life Of Ninja, starring Chen Kuan Tai and Yasuaki Kurata???

Much appreciated if you do...

I have the wide subbed version that Crash Cinema had put out. That weird version was on YouTube once upon a time. The opening credits had bizarre names.

IIRC, Tai Seng also released it on DVD. Never thought it was a classic, but IMHO, anything with Kurata is always worth checking out. The VHS of this new (at least to me) version also had a trailer for it at the end of the tape, which I imagine wasn't supposed to be there.

I have the wide subbed version that Crash Cinema had put out. That weird version was on YouTube once upon a time. The opening credits had bizarre names.

I have that both the Crash Cinema and Tai Seng DVDs. The Crash Cinema DVD was widescreen but the quality sucked donkey ass and didn't have the English dub. Crash Cinema had a bad habit of releasing inferior quality prints. The Tai Seng DVD quality is better by comparison but it's in full screen and had English dub only. I would like to get the best of both worlds with a high quality widescreen print with removable subtitles and original Mandarin audio track and English dub.

I have that both the Crash Cinema and Tai Seng DVDs. The Crash Cinema DVD was widescreen but the quality sucked donkey ass and didn't have the English dub. Crash Cinema had a bad habit of releasing inferior quality prints. The Tai Seng DVD quality is better by comparison but it's in full screen and had English dub only. I would like to get the best of both worlds with a high quality widescreen print with removable subtitles and original Mandarin audio track and English dub.

Thats's a dream project.

I'm not sure what happened between Tommy Lee and Lee Tso-Nam, because they seemed to work together a lot during the late 70s, but by the early 80s, Peng Kong had become Lee Tso-Nam's go-to guy. Obviously, this wasn't a problem, since the man had quite a bit of talent.

This film is a trashy little ninjasploitation flick about a sleazy businessman who's marked for death by the Iga ninja clan. Nobody likes the bastard, least of all his alcoholic wife and his sister-in-law, who's also his business rival. Said sister-in-law (Elsa Yeung) is also a martial arts aficionado and has recently started dating a kendo/bujutsu máster named Chow (Chen Kuan Tai). When it becomes apparent that ninja are killing everybody around the businessman, and that the sister-in-law is also on the hit list, Chow becomes to the businessman's bodyguard to ferret out the killers (shades of Erik Von Lustbader's first ninja novel).

As far as I'm concerned, a ninja movie must be judged on two fronts: the quality of the martial arts and the creativity of the ninja tricks. With regards to the latter, we get quite a few. Poisoned icicle daggers, ninja hypnosis, deadly ninja sex, wire-assisted ninja jumps, explosives, and more punctuate the action. I must point out that the film's dialogue mainly consists of Chen Kuan-Tai telling everyone that it doesn't matter how many guns and bodyguards you have, the ninja will always prevail in the end.

Peng Kong's action is occasionally inspired, although sometimes a little silly. A drawn-out fight between Chen Kuan-Tai and a super-powerful ninja (played by a professional wrestler) doesn't work for me, but a previous scene in which he kills a bunch of ninja with a pair of tonfa does. The finale has Chen hacking a bunch of shinobi down with a katana, followed by a long fight between Chen and Yasuaki Kurata. The lighting is off during the katana portion of their fight, making it hard to see. The last bit, with Kurata adopting an eccentric monkey/cat style while Chen goes into bad-a** mode is a highlight. I regret that the resident kunoichi didn't get to fight more, though.

Fun at times, but it's no Heroes of the East or Ninja in the Dragon's Den.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

The only reason I rewatch A Life of Ninja is to see CKT vs the sumo ninja. I show it to people all the time, but nobody likes it:tongue:

• Like 1

While I don't expect anything to be on the level of Heroes of the East or Ninja in the Dragons Den, this movie does sound interesting! Even if just for ninja cheese, CKT vs said sumo ninja, CKT vs Kurata, and I'm curious to see how he wields a katana as well.

Kurata and CKT don't seem to be the best match for Peng Kongs choreography style, at least if Woman Avenger and The Leg Fighters are any indicator.. So I'm also interested to see how he handles these two intense guys!

• Like 1

ShawAngela

Nice movie, with Chen Kuan Tai, but the ending fight with Yasuaki Kurata is shot in the dark for a long while and we can't see nothing of what is going on !!

Am I mistaken, or at the end of the movie, during the duel between Yasuaki Kurata and Chen Kuan Tai, Yasuaki Kurata shows a kind of VERY MAD monkey style ?

• Like 3

On 6/4/2020 at 7:36 AM, ShawAngela said:

Am I mistaken, or at the end of the movie, during the duel between Yasuaki Kurata and Chen Kuan Tai, Yasuaki Kurata shows a kind of VERY MAD monkey style ?

I don't remember Yasuaki Kurata performing any kind of monkey style in the final fight. From what I recall he fights Elsa Yang Hui-Shan's ninja character in the finale?. But I could be wrong as I've only viewed this flick one time.

• Like 1

Majin Android

Elsa Yeung fights Kurata at the end of Ninja Avenger aka Impossible Woman not A Life of Ninja

that insane monkey style by Kurata at the end of A Life of Ninja was sick!

• Like 2

He did a 'Crab' style in heroes of the East that reminded me of that fight in A Life of a Ninja.

He is pretty insane with those moves!

• Like 3