Could Bruce Lee really beat Donnie Yen in a fight?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

I honestly think Donnie would wreck Bruce. Hes almost as fast and definitely bigger and stronger. And once they fall to the floor Donnie would really have the advantage with all his years in MMA training. I know Bruce practically invented MMA but its come a long way since his day.

What advantages would Bruce have over Donnie?

JackieRome

I haven't heard such talk in a long time. They're funny sometimes. I think we should consider the age at which they would meet. Unfortunately, the charisma of each one can distort the real qualities of the fighters. 

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

According to Google, Donnie Yen has about thirty five pounds on Bruce. If we say Bruce is a smidgen faster but not by much then Donnie has the upper hand. Personally, I don't believe Donnie has had proper MMA training. He's not belted in BJJ or anything (as far as I know). But he might know enough. If he gets on top of Bruce, it's over. Bruce would have to keep Donnie at a distance with jabs and body kicks.

But this is all speculation (obviously). I just think that if you compare the two: neither are properly combat trained, neither have fought in a ring, they're the same height, Bruce is a bit faster but Donnie's heavier. I think Donnie has the edge.

• Like 6

Iron_Leopard
49 minutes ago, JackieRome said:

I haven't heard such talk in a long time. They're funny sometimes. I think we should consider the age at which they would meet. Unfortunately, the charisma of each one can distort the real qualities of the fighters. 

Sometimes we need to try and spice up the forums :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Iron_Leopard
34 minutes ago, sym8 said:

My money would be on Bruce,unless Donnie was on a wire.😜😜

So true. Bruce would have no answer for Donnie Yen in "Iron Monkey" lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Josh Baker

I think Bruce would win attacking Donnie's vital points like his shins, his groin, eye jabs etc. But he would have to do it early on in the fight before Donnie can strike him with heavy blows/get him to the ground.

But I think with Bruce's Jeet Kune Do philosophy of fastness and directness he would able to get the advantage early with trapping and low kicks.

• Like 3

I'm going with Bruce just because I think he had the right mindset and understood that once the decision was made to fight then you'd have to go all in like your life depended on it, I think this would give him a significant edge. When he talked about the guy who jumped over the wall into his garden at his Kowloon home he said "I kicked him harder than I ever kicked anyone. I gave him my all", a lot of good martial artists just don't have this "killer instinct". I saw an interview with Dan Inosanto recently too and he said that Bruce's jab was very powerful for somebody of his size, he said he thought Bruce could probably knock a guy out just with a jab rather than using it to set up another technique. I know that Bruce's abilities have almost taken on a kind of mythical status but so many martial artists including Jackie, Sammo etc have spoken about how strong he was I think he was the real thing.

• Like 6

Bruce, hands down. If the rumors are true, Donnie at his prime, may have been too coked up. Bruce on the other hand, was just high on hash brownies, so he'd be laughing his ass off – and striking at the very opportunity when he sees Donnie start to sniffle. 

Cliff Booth can F 'em both up. 

Now Micheal Jai White, no contest. He'll take on civilizations with this pose alone... 

T3.jpg.f2132f8d3d15b6de69429e2ea0707243.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Drunken Monk
6 minutes ago, mpm74 said:

Now Micheal Jai White, no contest. He'll take on civilizations with this pose alone... 

He'd agree with you. Skip to 2m 30secs:

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer

I can’t imagine Bruce having much of an answer to Donnie’s 1000 Undercranked Fists style that he practically spent a whole decade mastering.

• Like 6

Yeah this is one of those topic where I would definitely say I'm unsure. At the end of the day, we're all going by movies, tales (some are definitely tall but who knows which are which), and just looks. You never know who would win honestly.

• Like 3

I'm sure this has been posted before it's a few years old but I think it's really good;

Edited by andy338
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Donnie is fast but Bruce was sudden!

In the real world Donnie would be left with either a broken leg, his nuts relocated to his stomach or his eyeball buried into the back of his skull!

Add to this Bruce's killer instinct and violent temper and I think Donnie would get murdered. :BL-SeeYou:

• Like 5

Graeme Of Death

I think an actual professional mixed martial arts fighter who has spent years fighting in the ring or a cage would absolutely wipe the floor with both of them.

I've never seen Bruce or Donnie in a real fight but I've seen plenty of them in films doing choreographed fights with actors.

• Like 6

Bruce Lee is the one who made me loved kung fu movies back in the 70s and I prefer Lee to Yen in movies hands down.

However, fight choreography in movies is one thing, fighting in a ring is another. Back in the 70s, early 80s, I participated in many points tournaments and tried full contact (2 fights). They are 2 complete different worlds. I stuck to point tournaments! Fighting someone who's only goal is to knock you out is a different reality. Those who've tried or done it will know what I mean. Those who didn't can only imagine it.

We can only try to imagine (or fantasize?) how both would have performed in a ring, with or without rules, against each other or other opponents. I love to think that Lee would have been invincible in his weight category. Would I bet my house on it? Not a chance!

• Like 9

Anybody can beat anybody in a real fight, period. Now after this statement, lets play a little : )

Im agree with one of the above post that Donnie been almost as fast but heavier will give him an advantage physically. BL on the other hand, was a well known tactician and even if he didn't compete himself, he helped Joe Lewis to win several Karate Tournaments, so BL knew his stuff. BL could lose if the fight goes toe-to-toe, Donnie lose if he allows BL dictate the pace of the fight 

By the way, i think BL was more a martial artist than Donnie in the sense that BL dedicate more time to develop real martial arts as oppose to Donnie who seems to dedicated more time to performance & filmmaking. BL taught other martial artists, wrote books and articles, owned Schools, etc.

Another thing, Yes, i understand that they are not profesional fighters, but you dont need to be a profesional fighter to know how to fight. I Think both of them know (knew) how to fight at different degrees.

Now, if we are in a Tarantino movie, then it would be Bruce Lee and Donnie Yen vs Cliff Booth, with Booth taking the "w". :)

Edited by edher_M.A.
  • Like 3

On 6/7/2020 at 10:59 AM, bigrogie said:

Bruce Lee is the one who made me loved kung fu movies back in the 70s and I prefer Lee to Yen in movies hands down.

However, fight choreography in movies is one thing, fighting in a ring is another. Back in the 70s, early 80s, I participated in many points tournaments and tried full contact (2 fights). They are 2 complete different worlds. I stuck to point tournaments! Fighting someone who's only goal is to knock you out is a different reality. Those who've tried or done it will know what I mean. Those who didn't can only imagine it.

We can only try to imagine (or fantasize?) how both would have performed in a ring, with or without rules, against each other or other opponents. I love to think that Lee would have been invincible in his weight category. Would I bet my house on it? Not a chance!

This. They’re actors. They would probably both resort to something that more resembles a high school brawl than a skilled fight as soon as a punch was thrown.

As you brought up Lee in his weight class, it brings to mind a comparison I’ve made somewhere on the forum before...

Imagine Bruce Lee fighting Roberto Duran when he was fighting at 135 lbs... I wouldn’t want to watch that.

• Like 4

PandaPawPaw

Hang on, I'll just ask him..................

:bs_messagereceived:

He said "Of course baby! I'll turn Donnie Yen into Donnie Yuan!"

:BL-Slap:

• Like 2