Shaws on Amazon Prime

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

Just a quick question regarding the selection of Shaw Brothers on the platform.

How do they decide which movies they put on there? Cause I was wanting to watch all of Chor Yuen movies from 76 to 79 but half of them are missing.

My marathon has come to an abrupt end. Very disappointing. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
venom10463

I think it depends on who own the copyrights for them in the U.S. For example, some shaws are only available on Netflix and vice versa. Those missing Chor Yuen you mentioned more than likely doesn't have copyrights to be shown in the U.S.

Iron_Leopard
10 minutes ago, venom10463 said:

I think it depends on who own the copyrights for them in the U.S. For example, some shaws are only available on Netflix and vice versa. Those missing Chor Yuen you mentioned more than likely doesn't have copyrights to be shown in the U.S.

So it's kind of like owning the rights to releasing dvds? 

venom10463
1 hour ago, Iron_Leopard said:

So it's kind of like owning the rights to releasing dvds? 

Yeah.

In addition certain movies were not remastered at the time they were licencing or there very little interest for a said title. 

Also remember to Amazon, you also had/have iTunes, Google Play & Youtube were licencing movies. Plus the ones doing physical release.

I just did a quick check for Chor Yuen movies available on Prime from 1976 to 1982 and found 19 titles available however,  the following 9 titles were not available:

Clans of Intrigue, Jade Tiger, Legend of the Bat, Murder Plot, Convict Killer, Spirit of the Sword, Forbidden Past, Farewell to a Warrior & Haunted Tales.

Here is a topic on the subject:

Iron_Leopard
19 minutes ago, thekfc said:

In addition certain movies were not remastered at the time they were licencing or there very little interest for a said title. 

Also remember to Amazon, you also had/have iTunes, Google Play & Youtube were licencing movies. Plus the ones doing physical release.

I just did a quick check for Chor Yuen movies available on Prime from 1976 to 1982 and found 19 titles available however,  the following 9 titles were not available:

Clans of Intrigue, Jade Tiger, Legend of the Bat, Murder Plot, Convict Killer, Spirit of the Sword, Forbidden Past, Farewell to a Warrior & Haunted Tales.

Here is a topic on the subject:

And "Clans of Intrigue" is the last one from 77 I need to see. That bumbed me out.

I could have sworn I saw "Legend of the Bat" on there. But even if it is there i cant watch it yet cause i read it's a sequel to Clans.

ShawAngela

Unless I'm mistaken, it's not really a sequel, but since the two movies tell Chu Liu Xiang's adventures, there are some common heroes in the two movies, but they are independent and you can watch one without having watched the other.

2 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I could have sworn I saw "Legend of the Bat" on there. But even if it is there i cant watch it yet cause i read it's a sequel to Clans.

Negative, Legend of the Bat is not on there. It was one of the titles that I was waiting to purchase. 

It is (kinda) a sequel but not a true sequel. Although both movie share almost the same cast just about everyone is playing a different role, I think that Ti Lung is the only one who plays the same role in both movie.

As @ShawAngela stated you can watch one without the other.

Iron_Leopard

Can I just say I wish these movies on Prime came with the original English dub?

I'm a subbed fan when it comes to all foreign movies but for some reason I prefer my Shaws dubbed. 

Archived