Golden Harvest's Bruce Lee Successors 1974-1977

Josh Baker

Josh Baker
7 minutes ago, Jesse Smooth said:

People forget about GH trying to make a movie star out of Tom Selleck...TWICE.

High Road to China I know of...what was the other one?

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
1 hour ago, Jesse Smooth said:

Lassiter

God, I sat through that with my old girl friend in the 80's. ZZZZZZZZZ. Tom Selleck, like many TV stars, easy to watch for free, difficult to pay to see!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Josh Baker
9 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

God, I sat through that with my old girl friend in the 80's. ZZZZZZZZZ. Tom Selleck, like many TV stars, easy to watch for free, difficult to pay to see!

haha well put! I know he did Quigley Down Under as well but that supposed to be decent? It's funny he spent most of the 80s making up for the fact he didn't get to play Indiana Jones lol

• Like 3

On 6/5/2020 at 1:15 PM, Josh Baker said:

haha well put! I know he did Quigley Down Under as well but that supposed to be decent? It's funny he spent most of the 80s making up for the fact he didn't get to play Indiana Jones lol

He also was in My Alibi and Three Men and a Baby which weren't bad from what I  remember. Thomas Magnum was his best role and what he will always be remembered for, and the women loved him. He first got famous as a model for a cigarette add IIRC.

Edited by CT KID
  • Like 3

Jesse Smooth
On 6/7/2020 at 5:06 PM, CT KID said:

He also was in My Alibi and Three Men and a Baby which weren't bad from what I  remember. Thomas Magnum was his best role and what he will always be remembered for, and the women loved him. He first got famous as a model for a cigarette add IIRC.

When hairy chests were in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

NoKUNGFUforYU
5 hours ago, Jesse Smooth said:

When hairy chests were in.

Well this one is officially off the rails!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/2/2020 at 12:59 AM, Josh Baker said:

I already know of Don Wong Tao and Jimmy Wang Yu, but can anyone think of anyone else Golden Harvest tried to position as the Next Bruce Lee/Bruce Lee's replacement between 1974-1977?

Golden Harvest hoped that Tan Tao-Liang might be the next big thing. When they gave him a push and two starring roles in The Hand of Death & The Himalayan. Both of them were released theatrically in 1976.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Golden Harvest hoped that Tan Tao-Liang might be the next big thing. When they gave him a push and two starring roles in The Hand of Death & The Himalayan. Both of them were released theatrically in 1976.

Was John Liu, the other well known super kicker, given a similar push by any company around this time?

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
11 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Was John Liu, the other well known super kicker, given a similar push by any company around this time?

He got his start with Seasonal, but by '78 was a Taiwanese indie regular. As was Tan.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

He got his start with Seasonal, but by '78 was a Taiwanese indie regular. As was Tan.

According to the HKMDB he made his debut in a indiependent Taiwanese movie titled - Great Boxer(1972). Produced by the Foo Hwa Cinema Co Ltd, which I think were based in Taiwan?. He only got a minor role in this production. In 1976 Seasonal gave him a chance to star in his own movie.

• Like 2

Just wanted to say this is a really cool thread. I have to admit, I often forget Golden Harvest even existed before Jackie Chan. Viewing Bruce Lee movies as just “Bruce Lee movies”, and movies like “The One Armed Boxer” or Angels Mao films as independent productions.

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 3

Watched The Skyhawk earlier. Carter Wong didn't half  fill out the following years, must have been into the bodybuilding.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, paimeifist said:

Just wanted to say this is a really cool thread. I have to admit, I often forget Golden Harvest even existed before Jackie Chan. Viewing Bruce Lee movies as just “Bruce Lee movies”, and movies like “The One Armed Boxer” or Angels Mao films as independent productions.

Thanks for your approval man😂 I always found it interesting how Golden Harvest tried to find a new Bruce Lee after his untimely passing 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Thanks for your approval man😂 I always found it interesting how Golden Harvest tried to find a new Bruce Lee after his untimely passing 

If you think about it, they kind of captured lightning in a bottle with Bruce. If you're a film company that's lost the star that arguably helped establish you and give you something of a foothold against your competition, wouldn't you want that again?

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

They certainly tried to push Wang Yu into becoming an international star, a plan that might have worked if he didn't spend most of the shoot being a jerk to everyone!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

They certainly tried to push Wang Yu into becoming an international star, a plan that might have worked if he didn't spend most of the shoot being a jerk to everyone!

That's always confused me- number 1 how could he manage to offend the crew of The Man From Hong Kong if he couldn't speak English? Also I've never heard any other stories of Wang Yu being difficult on set apart from this- was he like this when directing his own movies? And number three I wonder if his unacceptable behaviour on Man From Hong Kong was motivated by his racist attitudes toward white people, and also because he wasnt allowed to direct the film himself- therefore spent most of the shoot pissing and moaning and whining

• Like 4

Also I've never understood why Wang Yu didnt train in actual martial arts in the wake of Bruce Lee, I did notice his kicking ability improving quite drastically in his film Dragon Squad (1974), but after that he quickly reverted back to his lack of kicking ability and stiffness after that film. 

Dont you think he'd want to improve his martial ability if they were trying to position him as the successor to Bruce Lee, rather than still not be able to kick?

• Like 4

Killer Meteor
10 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

That's always confused me- number 1 how could he manage to offend the crew of The Man From Hong Kong if he couldn't speak English? Also I've never heard any other stories of Wang Yu being difficult on set apart from this- was he like this when directing his own movies? And number three I wonder if his unacceptable behaviour on Man From Hong Kong was motivated by his racist attitudes toward white people, and also because he wasnt allowed to direct the film himself- therefore spent most of the shoot pissing and moaning and whining

I don't know about back then, but he definetly spoke English by the 90s, as seen in Cinema of Vengeance.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I don't know about back then, but he definetly spoke English by the 90s, as seen in Cinema of Vengeance.

Just saw the clip, his English is quite good actually, but I heard he learned all his lines phonetically on Man From Hong Kong.

Wang Yu has always fascinated me as a figure, whenever I see him in interviews he comes across to me as very intelligent, articulate and warm, he kind of looks a tall, Chinese Ronnie Corbett with those glasses he wore in that documentary. 

So as a result the stories of him being a bratty violent thug with ties to the Triads doesn't mesh with how I have been exposed to Wang Yu both in interviews and as an actor and filmmaker.

Edited by Josh Baker
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Yeah I've seen this before- this goes to his defense in my opinion- although he could be playing the gentle old man card throughout lol

• Like 2