trying to remember this movie

JTCAR

Question

Hi ! I am trying to remember a movie I saw as a child so that I can watch it again. Its main character I believe is Japanese. This character goes from dojo to dojo to challenge it's masters. All of the characters are wearing Gis. The damage in each fight tends to be a broken bone so Im guessing that he is a master of  Karate or a Judo or combination. An ally of this main character lost his arm during one of the fights and as a result he became downhearted. The main character tried to encourage this one armed fighter by fighting him hard until the wounded person was a able to get a clean hit using his existing arm. At the end after they won, there was a scene where there was a multitude of students practicing near the sea. The one armed person and other leading characters were leading the practice. it can be a 70s movie. Please let me know anyone has a guess/guesses for its title. Many thanks

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 answers to this question

4 hours ago, venom10463 said:

If someone hasn't provided you with the name of the film, I will check my DVDs and let you know which one it is.

The Sonny Chiba film that has a guy losing his arm and learning to fight is Shorinji Kempo, or Killing Machine.

Iron_Leopard

That's a pretty good description.  Should be enough for someone here to identify it for you before the end of the day.

ShawAngela

The beginning of your description reminds me of One-armed boxer, but not the ending.

I made a quick search on google with "one-armed man in movies" and found a movie called One-armed executioner talking about the depression of the man after he lost his arm and wife, but you don't talk about any wife, and it's not an Asian movie.

From what you say, it must be a Japanese movie, but I only found Tange Sazen, that is more one-eye + one-armed man, and it's more a swordplay series.

So, I don't know where to search now, sorry...

venom10463

This is a Sonny Chiba film. The description you provided I remember, but I'm blanking on the name. I think its one of the films in the Mas Oyama trilogy: Karate Bearfighter, Karate Bullfighter, and Karate for Life.

If someone hasn't provided you with the name of the film, I will check my DVDs and let you know which one it is.

venom10463
9 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

The Sonny Chiba film that has a guy losing his arm and learning to fight is Shorinji Kempo, or Killing Machine.

You beat me to it. I was just in the process of checking Killing Machine and was about to reply its Killing Machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Lethal-Chiba-Sonny/dp/B000L43P9I/ref=pd_sbs_74_6/139-4347329-4166228?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000L43P9I&pd_rd_r=b5498f92-4252-4ef6-9be9-1cd8cf0c74bf&pd_rd_w=k04Lg&pd_rd_wg=IR2DI&pf_rd_p=12b8d3e2-e203-4b23-a8bc-68a7d2806477&pf_rd_r=HK3Q70DZS4VV0FPPHX4M&psc=1&refRID=HK3Q70DZS4VV0FPPHX4M

The DVDs in this box set are remastered with removable subtitles.

8 hours ago, venom10463 said:

This is a Sonny Chiba film. The description you provided I remember, but I'm blanking on the name. I think its one of the films in the Mas Oyama trilogy: Karate Bearfighter, Karate Bullfighter, and Karate for Life.

Thank you very much Ive been thinking about this movie for a very long time

4 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Thank you very much Ive been thinking about this movie for a very long time

Archived