The Web of Death (1976)

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

I searched the forum before I made this topic and didn't see a thread. If there is one already my apologies. Please merge.

Just curious to know everyone's opinion on this Chor Yuen flick. I watched it for the first time about a week ago and although I did enjoy it, it didn't quite reach the heights of "Killer Clans" and "The Magic Blade". That's not a bad thing obviously as those are high marks to reach. As always I loved the sets on this movie and Ching Li really stood out here. She probably stole the movie.

Whats the general consensus? Is this high or low on the hierarchy of Chor Yuen's Wuxia output? Or maybe it's in the middle?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chu Liu Hsiang

I like WEB OF DEATH, especially for Ching Li's great performance which you already praised. The clans, settings and SFX are lots of fun. I always struggle with doing rankings, all I can say is, it's not among my most frequently watched Chu Yuan's movies. 

4 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I like WEB OF DEATH, especially for Ching Li's great performance which you already praised. The clans, settings and SFX are lots of fun. I always struggle with doing rankings, all I can say is, it's not among my most frequently watched Chu Yuan's movies. 

Definitely agree about the sets, effects and props. That Five Venoms Spider has to go down as one of the most bizarre weapons in a Shaw Brothers film.

Iron_Leopard
22 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Definitely agree about the sets, effects and props. That Five Venoms Spider has to go down as one of the most bizarre weapons in a Shaw Brothers film.

It truly does. But who would win in a fight? A wielder of the 5 Venoms Spider Vs. A wielder of the Peacock Dart from The Magic Blade?

1 hour ago, Iron_Leopard said:

It truly does. But who would win in a fight? A wielder of the 5 Venoms Spider Vs. A wielder of the Peacock Dart from The Magic Blade?

I would pick the Peacock Dart as it's an inanimate object & more consistent in its destructive power. On the other hand, one has to careful with the 5 Venom Spider because it could turn against its wielder plus it seems more maintenance is involved. You have to feed it, clean up after it, and make sure it has all its shots.

Archived