Police Story 2 DVD Talk Review

Guest gfanikf

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest morgoth

Just got this today. I can't wait to see it but I had to stop and comment on the picture quality. Ya know how bad the quality is on Police Story 1? Well, they seemed to have fixed the problem. This movie has superb picture quality! ALERT ALERT-picture quality is fixed!

Guest gfanikf

Yeah but the skin tone issue is fairly minor when composed to the out of sync IVL audio. Plus I just don't even care about the skin tone thing.

Guest morgoth

I don't know about skin tones but the picture does look just a tad off. Other than that and some graininess it is great. In the opening of the movie they show the highlights from PS 1 and in comparing the 2 picture qualities I have to say tha this is far superior.

I didn't know this movie is 2 hours long. I must have seen a really shortened version when i saw this on FX a few years ago.

Guest morgoth

If you don't mind me asking, how long is the HK cut and what is superior about?

I will check back in an hour or 2. i have to see the rest of the movie:p

ANd why the hell do I have to keep logging in! My computer usually keeps me logged in for like a week.

Guest The Running Man
Ya know how bad the quality is on Police Story 1? Well, they seemed to have fixed the problem. This movie has superb picture quality! ALERT ALERT-picture quality is fixed!

Note:

Brian White doesn't "fix" problems...he causes them.

FS's print of part 2 was better than FS's print of one...that's why DD's part 2 looks better than part 1.

Guest The Running Man
I have no problems with the picture quality on this.

That's due to FS...not Brian White.

Nothing was "fixed" because they didn't fix anything.

If they "fixed" something that would be because they re-released Police Story 1 with a better transfer not because PS 2 came out with a better transfer, and one that mostly they didn't do anything on, except screw with the skin tones.

Guest The Running Man

:lol

Yeah, I guess...

I find it funny that's like the best compliment one can really say about Mr. White and his "resotoration methods".

Guest morgoth

Yeah I guess i just wanted to strongly point out that the picture is much better on Poilce Story 2 compared to 1. DD is 4/5 so far not counting the IA movies which I won't watch. Thumbs up to you Brian White for not screwing with the picture very much. :D

Guest morgoth

Meaning 4 out of the 5 Dragon Dynasty movies I have seen have great picture quality.

Now that I am speaking fo this I have to say that The Protector has the same heavy graininess in some scenes that I noticed in the movie theater. This wasn't as big of an issue on the TYG disc.

So overall, 4/5:D

Guest killer meteor

But he shouldn't be tampering with the masters, which are more or less decent. I dread to think how the more colourful Shaw films will look because they tend to have a more varied colour mix, both in regard to photogaphy and production design. A touch of pink could result in a disgusting picture

Guest morgoth

Well, hopefully somebody has told him that if he messes with these Shaw movies then he can kiss my purchases good-bye along with a good # of other people as well. He seems to be listening after the uproar on the pic quality of PS 1. We can only hope I guess.

Guest killer meteor

He - or someone on his team - have done this colour tampering on the last half dozen HKL titles they worked on - why I don't know. Police Story 1 DD was excessivly worse than the others whilst PS2 is more in line with his other pinky jobs. So he hasn't got the message at all. Why? Could it be he's trying to take credit for "restoring" what doesn't need restoring for the sake of who knows?

Guest killer meteor

The pinkiness is quite obvious in comparisons. Anothe problem with DD's PS1 and HKL's Fist Of Fury PE is overdone contrast, resulting in blooming whites. Not very nice and again not on the FS masters

Guest morgoth

You have to look close, but yeah, it is pinkened. You can mostly tell in the day scenes. The picture does actually look a bit sharper though for DD.

Guest morgoth

Special features are good.

Like PS 1, they are skimpy compared to the other DD releases. THere is another great 34 minute interview with the stuntmen(and woman). The commentary wasn't very good. I turned it off after an hour. The "location guide" was good but Bey Logan did a couple of stupid acting bits that were incredibly stupid. It was weird but luckily he only did it a couple of times. I didn't get the other special feature with Ratner and Logan. What was the commentary for? Did they just need 8 more minutes to talk?

Archived