Bates Motel (2013-2017)

DiP

I'm a big fan of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho so I decided to try this one after reading up on all the praise and hype, this being a prequel that details the early life of Norman Bates before his murders years later. I'm currently on episode 4, so far so good.

Farmiga strikes me out as someone with the appropriate features for the Norma Bates role, although her charmy and attractive appearance didn't suggest so in the beginning. But once her role was developed and she displayed her acting properly, I was won over. The guy who plays Norman Bates... I can't say he's bad but right now I'm not sure what to make out of his performance. Probably just how the character is but the actor does alot of overdone gestures when pressured or worried in some scenes which is off-putting for me to be convincing. But we shall see as the show progresses.

Overall, I'm quite enjoying it. I just hope they won't expand on the subplots by injecting more beyond the simplicity of the Bates family story. In Hitchcock's movie, there were hints of a biological father with Norman as the only kid, and a half-father with none. Simple as that. Now, Norman has a half-brother from another guy that Norma was with before ending up with Norman's father... For the sake of this show, I'll buy that.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

The Good Doctor PosterI watched this series as it was airing, I enjoyed it for what it was.

Now I am enjoying the actor who played Norman Bates, Freddie Highmore as Dr. Shaun Murphy in the series The Good Doctor.

• Like 3

DarthKato

Just started watching the first season and its pretty good so far. Really like the guy they got to play Norman Bates. 

• Like 2

Cognoscente

On 5/26/2020 at 1:23 AM, SMK said:

I watched this series as it was airing, I enjoyed it for what it was.

Now I am enjoying the actor who played Norman Bates, Freddie Highmore as Dr. Shaun Murphy in the series The Good Doctor.

If they ever decide to do a movie about Peter Gabriel, they have found their man.

Edited by Cognoscente
  • Like 2