What is the best dvd version of Taoism Drunkard?

Duel to the Death

Question

Duel to the Death

The version i rented a long time ago had those god awful burned in subtitles, impossible to read at times. Is there even a good version of the dvd out there? The movie does have a cult following thanks to the watermelon monster. But obscure enough to not find any reviews online except people on Amazon saying don't buy the Crash Cinema version lol

This version looks promising but i can't find any reviews and i bet it's hard to find and expensive. 

https://www.yesasia.com/global/taoism-drunkard-dvd-hong-kong-version/1012002378-0-0-0-en/info.html

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 answers to this question

Duel to the Death

This sold one on Ebay looks promising as well. Wonder if it's the same one from yesasia. They use stock art so what theirs is suppose to look like. Just curious of the quality if i'm ever lucky enough to track down a copy for cheap lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taoism-Drunkard-Golden-Harvest-Fortune-Star-Legendary-Collection-DVD-/274332037117?hash=item3fdf76affd%3Ag%3A--MAAOSwzatehhPl&nma=true&si=%2BRvhopObGKRgiRMn8tbrs%2Bhv8Ak%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The picture quality is...watchable.  The print they used to make the disc was in pretty good shape.  I like the movie but this disc isn't worth $60 bucks.  If you need to watch it you can find it on youtube.  It would be nice if someone would release a decent disc of Shaolin Drunkard (1983), but for now, youtube will have to suffice.

Duel to the Death
On 5/25/2020 at 12:35 AM, tdb said:

It would be nice if someone would release a decent disc of Shaolin Drunkard (1983), but for now, youtube will have to suffice.

I think i may have seen that once. Is that the sequel? 

Duel to the Death

So i'm doing more research on this and i'm trying to figure out if this one on Ebay is legitimate or the same quality as the HK. This could be a long shot if anybody knows about it. It also says it's the legendary collection but it's not the Hong Kong version but the Malaysian version. They use Speedy Video instead of Joy Sales. Sometimes these other releases are in fact legitimate, like that Sammo Hung collection i got from Taiwan. It goes through Catalyst Logic instead of IVL

If you look at the screenshots the ebay seller included, it may have 5 subtitle options? and the HK version may only have 3? According to Yesasia (English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese). I'm not sure i want to spend $33 just to find out if it's legit and has removable subtitles. But it is tempting. I'd say since it has so many subtitle options they must be removable. 

Below those screenshots i have compiled some pics from the HK version DVD and VCD. The HK version that sold on ebay recently looks different than the version i see on Yesasia. I wonder if it's just the inner or outer case. 

Malaysian Version

OQTVXPZ.jpgM7SLiSq.jpgi9QOnpV.jpgd9HTsJ8.jpg

The HK Versions

The one from ebay, they only included the front of the case

HAHS5Eb.jpg

The one from Yesasia, they also only show the front of the case and is probably just stock art

https://www.yesasia.com/global/taoism-drunkard-dvd-hong-kong-version/1012002378-0-0-0-en/info.html

xix6mj7.jpg

These are just random pictures which seem be the same release but maybe packaging variations?

JuzX9Si.jpgNqHk13R.jpg

And Finally the VCD version just for reference. 

jgM7r2d.jpggALghen.jpg

Both seem fine.  The Malay disc shouldn't have burnt in subs.  Picture quality should be roughly the same, good, watchable.  Get whichever one is less expensive.  I've bought my share of Malaysian discs and for the most part they've been alright.

Shaolin Drunkard is a sequel to Taoism Drunkard inasmuch as they share some of the same characters, but...with these Yuen Clan flicks it's best just to roll with it and not sweat the details.

Duel to the Death
12 hours ago, tdb said:

Both seem fine.  The Malay disc shouldn't have burnt in subs.  Picture quality should be roughly the same, good, watchable.  Get whichever one is less expensive.  I've bought my share of Malaysian discs and for the most part they've been alright.

Shaolin Drunkard is a sequel to Taoism Drunkard inasmuch as they share some of the same characters, but...with these Yuen Clan flicks it's best just to roll with it and not sweat the details.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if that was the case. Similarly i bought some dvd's from Taiwan and seem to similar to the HK ones. 

I don't remember that the legendary collection dvds have art pictures on them, and I had never heard of Speedy Joysales releases...

Archived