Actor (229 films)
Director (9 films)
Producer (3 films)
Assistant Director (1 film)
Action Director (1 film)

Ku Feng 
Actor (380 films)

--------------------------------------

Lo Lieh has played one of the most iconic roles in Kung Fu Cinema history, Pai Mei, as well as credited for being the lead actor in the film that started the kung fu craze with 5 Fingers of Death (King Boxer).

I'll have to go with Lo Lieh.

Iron_Leopard
15 hours ago, SMK said:

Well according to HKMDB:

Lo Lieh 
Actor (229 films)
Director (9 films)
Producer (3 films)
Assistant Director (1 film)
Action Director (1 film)

Ku Feng 
Actor (380 films)

--------------------------------------

Lo Lieh has played one of the most iconic roles in Kung Fu Cinema history, Pai Mei, as well as credited for being the lead actor in the film that started the kung fu craze with 5 Fingers of Death (King Boxer).

I'll have to go with Lo Lieh.

Cant argue with that really. Even though Ku Feng has been in more movies it just feels like Lo Lieh has more iconic roles.

Actually now that I think about it do you think Lo Lieh is Shaw Brothers #1 most iconic star? Or would it be Jimmy Wang Yu?

26 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Cant argue with that really. Even though Ku Feng has been in more movies it just feels like Lo Lieh has more iconic roles.

Actually now that I think about it do you think Lo Lieh is Shaw Brothers #1 most iconic star? Or would it be Jimmy Wang Yu?

For me, when I hear the words "Shaw Brothers", I think of Gordon Liu first. I'm sure that would be different based on who you ask. For some it may be David Chiang, Fu Sheng, Ti Lung, Ku Feng or someone else. 

Lo Lieh

Interesting I re-watched a few SB movies this pass week (Jade Tiger, Return of Sentimental Swordsman, What Price Honesty, The Fugitive, etc,) and said to myself Lo Lieh have played some of the most storied, eccentric, interesting & unusual characters and it look like he is having fun playing them.

Iron_Leopard
47 minutes ago, thekfc said:

Lo Lieh

Interesting I re-watched a few SB movies this pass week (Jade Tiger, Return of Sentimental Swordsman, What Price Honesty, The Fugitive, etc,) and said to myself Lo Lieh have played some of the most storied, eccentric, interesting & unusual characters and it look like he is having fun playing them.

He truly did have so much range as an actor.

Everything I've seen from Ku Feng he played a villain.  Did he ever portray a good guy?

Omni Dragon
36 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Everything I've seen from Ku Feng he played a villain.  Did he ever portray a good guy?

He played Wong Fei Hung (no less) in The Master of Kung Fu, as well as other good guy roles in other movies.

3 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

He truly did have so much range as an actor.

The Water Margin, 10 Tigers of Kwangtung, Brave Archer series, The Anonymous Heroes, The Lady Assassin (kinda),  The Web of Death (kinda), My Rebellious Son,...... Just to name a few.

I think Lo Lieh had more memorable parts.  He could play both evil and good characters.  Gaining popularity as Chao Chi-Hao in "King Boxer" really helped his career.

Ku Feng really matched as a villain.  He could either play the diabolical master or the closeted evil character -much like Cripple Peng in "Invincible Fist." 

king boxer.jpg

images.jpg

De Ming Li

Overall, it would have to be Ku Feng. Pound for pound though, and being younger and somewhat better on screen fighter, it's Lo Lieh.

Love Ku Feng but Lo Lieh was the lead in more films, so he does enjoy that star status/leading man role whereas Ku Feng did not. Interestingly enough, from what I read over the years, neither were actual martial artists per se but learned as they went.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:41 PM, teako170 said:

Love Ku Feng but Lo Lieh was the lead in more films, so he does enjoy that star status/leading man role whereas Ku Feng did not. Interestingly enough, from what I read over the years, neither were actual martial artists per se but learned as they went.

Yup, this is why I think Jeong Chang-hwa used a lot of cuts and edits in King Boxer.  I also noticed that much of the end fight was done close up, possibly to hide some of the footwork.  Nonetheless, I still rate King Boxer as one of my all time favorites.  Amazingly, Bryan Leung Kar Yan also is not trained in martial arts.  From what I heard, he knows how to mimic movements and is quite athletic.

Tex Killer
On 5/23/2020 at 8:50 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

I don`t think there is such as most iconic star in SB..Wang Yu could have been had he worked some more years@Shaws...

As villains Ku Feng had more tastier roles than Lo Lieh but overall would choose Lo Lieh.

AlexanderFu

Ku Feng might have had more range as an actor, but to me, lo Lieh as cool as anyone ever on screen...Brando, Pitt.....

Take your pick of cool, and Lo Lieh was that.

Ku Feng actually help teach acting, I believe.

Best character actor of any country, imo.

Archived