Tai Chi Master gets KO'ed by amateur MMA fighter

Yihetuan

I'm sure many here are familiar with Xu Xiandong, an MMA fighter on a mission to prove the ineffectiveness of TMA and expose so called "frauds" who claim to be kung fu masters and who proclaim kung fu as the superior fighting style. Well, there was a recent fight between a 69 year old Tai Chi Master, Ma Bauguo and an amateur MMA fighter 20 years his junior. As expected it didn't go very well for master Ma judging by the footage below:

Xu is taking this opportunity to take some pointed jabs at the crestfallen Ma who according to Xu is responsible for calling the police on him before their bout in 2017.

“Shanghai’s Ma Baoguo knocked out by an amateur after four seconds. That’s what a ‘traitor’ gets,” Xu tweeted. “In 2017, he challenged me saying he had beaten a European MMA champion, but before the fight he called the police and I was taken away by the police,” Xu added. “For three years, they called me a traitor,” Xu wrote this week. “This is the tai chi cheating master! Now ... the truth has been revealed. I was right!”

Ma Baoguo has previously called UFC Women's Strawweight champ, Zhang Weili "stupid" and challenged her to a match. I think it's safe to assume that if this hypothetical match took place, Zhang Weili would beat him down with one hand tied behind her back and wearing 20 oz sparring gloves. You can't fault Ma baoguo's confidence or hubris as this behind the scenes pre-match footage shows him telling the ref that he might hurt his opponent. :monk_laughing:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
megadurilicus

"...not only are you skilled in martial arts now, also, you have the right humility, this virtue, is much more important than Kung Fu excellence.  When you fight, you only won a physical match.  But then, if you show him kindness, well then, that man may surrender his heart to you.  That is the way real Kung Fu should be, forgive man and forbear."

megadurilicus

Maaan his eye though.  It's a small price to pay for talking that smack though.  I wonder how his students feel.

Screenshot_20200522-045236.png

I would like to see one of these grandmasters do a progressive series of fights to see where exactly their effectiveness ends: 

1. Random person with no fighting background whatsoever;
2. Athletic person of same build/weight with no fighting background;
3. Beginner in wushu/kung fu;
4. Beginner in karate;
5. Beginner in tae kwon do;
6. Beginner in boxing;
7. Intermediate in wushu...(etc.)

OpiumKungFuCracker

I really don't understand what this is suppose to mean? That you can beat up an elderly? I like to see these punks try that mma on me, and I'm 5'7 but goddammit my intensity is hard to match cause once I get a fuse lit, better watch out. I don't have a fighting style I just know how to whoop ass. 

This was really uncomfortable to watch, I don't understand why this was even allowed to take place or why the mma fighter would want to fight a pensioner! I've studied Tae Kwon Do, Wado Ryu Karate & Wushu (Ditan Quan & Sanda) over the years and sparred quite a bit and fought in (light contact) competitions but I can't even imagine throwing a full power knockout punch at a 69 year old, sickening.

18 hours ago, megadurilicus said:

"...not only are you skilled in martial arts now, also, you have the right humility, this virtue, is much more important than Kung Fu excellence.  When you fight, you only won a physical match.  But then, if you show him kindness, well then, that man may surrender his heart to you.  That is the way real Kung Fu should be, forgive man and forbear."

You're certainly right. Master Ma should take heed of the true spirit of Kung Fu instead of making a mockery of himself. Another apropos quote is Dirty Harry's "a man's got to know his limitations..." Master Ma Baugao has been challenging fighters & claims to have even "defeated" a Western MMA fighter by the name of Peter Irving. This is pure nonsense as Irving fights at light heavyweight and appears several weight classes above Ma plus the age difference. Peter Irving is a Brit practicing muay Thai & has a professional record of 15-8-1 according to tapology. When interviewed Peter Irving says he "has sought to clarify that the video is nothing more than a vanity project for an “old kung fu guy”, actually felt sad for Ma after the tai chi master tried to market the footage as a real fight." Clearly, it was a fix and Master Ma is delusional thinking he can defeat a trained MMA fighter half his age and twice his weight. Again. I have nothing personal against Master Ma or the practice of Tai Chi, which has proven health benefits & is a wonderful martial art with a long history but it's not realistically a technique applicable to competitive mixed martial arts or street fighting.

14 hours ago, megadurilicus said:

Maaan his eye though.  It's a small price to pay for talking that smack though.  I wonder how his students feel.

Screenshot_20200522-045236.png

You can't say the man's confidence is shaken even after suffering such a quick and heavy knockout. Ma gave an update on Chinese social media after the fight, posting a video showing off a black eye and claiming the rules should have been “hit and separate” because then he would have broken his opponent’s nose. fresh off the boat smh GIF Sometimes reality is the harshest teacher but appears Master Ma still hasn't learned his lesson.

Omni Dragon
23 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I think @NoKUNGFUforYU started a thread on Xu Xiandong, but I'm not 100% sure?.

Are you thinking of this thread by @laagi, perhaps?

DragonClaws
On 5/23/2020 at 10:23 AM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Are you thinking of this thread by @laagi, perhaps?

Thats the one, I thought we had a thread on this MMA guy somewhere.

Archived