Is Chor Yuen SB #3 Director?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

Where do you place Chor Yuan in the top 5 or top 10 of prolific Shaw Brothers Directors? 

I think the general consensus is Chang Cheh at #1 and Lau Kar Leung at #2.

So does that make Chor Yuan #3? If not who would you have instead?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would put Chor Yuan as #2 ahead of pops.

Pops have an amazing filmography but the majority of them were as an Action Director. As an AD for Shaws, no one can touch pops but he only directed 20 or so movies for Shaws and most of them are memorable so his name always pops up high on the list.

Chor Yuan, Ho Meng-Hua, Sun Chung, Yueh Feng, Cheng Kuan all had good output/movies as directors and they didn't stay within a single genre. However, most fans (including many on here) will only remember them for their martial arts outputs which for some of these directors are not that plentiful .

ShawAngela

I don't know how to rank any of them, but there are also Cheng Kang, Li Han Hsiang and Pao Hsueh Li, Inoue Umetsugu, and surely others famous directors who I don't remember at this moment who made their names at the Shaws' too.

AlexanderFu

Chor Yuan is # 1 for me. I really dig those Ku Lung movies above all.

I made a small video with a heavy dialog scene which is the exact reason I like him and his actors so much.

And for English, there is an extra actor in every scene for each speaking part - the voice actor.

They had ranges from awesome to the pits, but they helped act out these scenes just as much as the on film actor.

This movie had great voice actors. Made it that much better for me.

Iron_Leopard
On 5/20/2020 at 10:45 AM, AlexanderFu said:

Chor Yuan is # 1 for me. I really dig those Ku Lung movies above all.

I made a small video with a heavy dialog scene which is the exact reason I like him and his actors so much.

And for English, there is an extra actor in every scene for each speaking part - the voice actor.

They had ranges from awesome to the pits, but they helped act out these scenes just as much as the on film actor.

This movie had great voice actors. Made it that much better for me.

I think hes my favorite overall as well. It's close though with Chang Cheh.

I'm actually planning on watching "Return of the Sentimental Swordsman" tonight for the first time. 

AlexanderFu
2 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I think hes my favorite overall as well. It's close though with Chang Cheh.

I'm actually planning on watching "Return of the Sentimental Swordsman" tonight for the first time. 

I hope you like it! and have a nice 1080 copy, although the DV D looks great also!

i'm partial to the dub for this movie, it was a good dub team.

Chu Yuan is #2. I had to give this lot thought but lkl have some movies not like at all(legendary weapons, disciples of 36th chamber)...at their best they are equal I love shaolin mantis as much as jade tiger..but "duel for gold" is among my all time favs...

Iron_Leopard
On 6/15/2020 at 1:45 PM, AlexanderFu said:

I hope you like it! and have a nice 1080 copy, although the DV D looks great also!

i'm partial to the dub for this movie, it was a good dub team.

I loved it! Great sequel. I haven't cared for much of his 80s output but this one is an exception.

NOOOoooooOooOoOoOoOOoOo way!

Sun Chung and Ho Meng Hua are definitely above him! That’s just the first two that come to mind, I’m sure I could think of more. (I’m kinda trolling with the second half of this comment)

:BL-DontThinkFeel:

Archived