Da 5 Bloods Spike Lee movie

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker
16 hours ago, mpm74 said:

Looks good. I just realized they played the Chamber Brothers song in its entirety! 

Anyways, did you know that both Veronica Ngo and Johnny Tri Nguyen are both in the film? 

https://cityonfire.com/clash-star-veronica-ngo-featured-in-new-trailer-for-spike-lees-vietnam-thriller-da-5-bloods/

I'm familiar with Johnny from the Protector with Tony Jaa. Not too familiar with Veronica. Is she an american born actress or from the Vietnam? Has she been in other movies where she gets a lot of screentime? I'm highly interested in her. :BL-ThumbsUp:

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure she was born in Vietnam. :) She was in last year's FURIE, which a lot of people spoke highly of (I have yet to see it). 

Here's her action reel:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Not too familiar with Veronica. Is she an american born actress or from the Vietnam? Has she been in other movies where she gets a lot of screentime? I'm highly interested in her.

@OpiumKungFuCracker did you see Star Wars: The Last Jedi?  Veronica played Paige Tico. 

Her movie Furie is on netflix

Veronica (NTV) is also in the upcoming Netflix movie The Old Guard.  NTV is also a producer, director and have her own production company.

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker
3 hours ago, thekfc said:

@OpiumKungFuCracker did you see Star Wars: The Last Jedi?  Veronica played Paige Tico. 

Her movie Furie is on netflix

Veronica (NTV) is also in the upcoming Netflix movie The Old Guard.  NTV is also a producer, director and have her own production company.

Only seen force awakens and  Rogue one. I had no idea she is a martial arts star.  I will check those out :BL-OK:

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Only seen force awakens and  Rogue one. I had no idea she is a martial arts star.  I will check those out :BL-OK:

I think she's more like a Michelle Yeoh-type martial arts star. She sorta knows how to fake it on screen.  But does it quite well. 

• Like 4

OpiumKungFuCracker

^ man those C-grade action movies on netflix are just so bad. I'll take a chance since Veronica is in it but damn, Netflix making all that money and they can't put up some John Woo, Johnny To, The raid 1 and 2, hell even some old skool Jackie or Sammo Hung would be good.  Tons of 80s and 90s action they can't even put those up on the catalog? 

• Like 3

With all the critical and viewer acclaim I was really looking forward to this movie. Unfortunately after having spent 2.5 hours watching this movie I can't share the same enthusiasm.

It's a rather simple story of 5 vietnam vets going back to look for the remains of their fallen comrade. However as we learn quickly it's also about retrieving a chest of gold. Along their journey they have to face their past and present fear, predjudice and eventually their brotherhood is put to the test.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it? I honestly couldn't help but think of Bullet in the Head more than a couple of times. But this might have to do with the immense love I have for the movie.

It looks and sounds great! No doubt. Also Spike Lee uses a variety of aspect ratios as well as film formats or at least so it seems. For example most of the quite intense battle scenes are shot in fullscreen (1.33:1) also they look washed out as if filmed on 16mm. Which I personally thought was a nice touch and added some sense of realism.

The performances are pretty good with the standout being Delroy Lindo. His performance is incredible and especially towards the end very unsettling.

By now you might wonder why I didn't like it... Well to be honest it is very predictable. Almost every time there was a "surprise" I was able to foretell it; twists and turns are painfully obvious.

Personally I also found it too much to underline some of the dialog regarding the war (crimes) with actual footage. One showing an infant with a busted head which truth be told was very disturbing.

Finally I feel that Spike Lee tried to tackle too many problems at once. Many unfortunately which are now once again more current than ever!

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

I am a fan of his work, but this time it was pretty dull. He was trying to make an epic on Netflix, which really doesn't work, hence the long running time, etc. Also, it just dragged, and having the old dudes play their younger versions just seemed a way to save $$$ and Spike has always been thrifty. I turned it off. I was falling asleep. I will certainly keep watching what he puts out, but this was a miss.

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

I liked it. I'm not sure if I'd watch it again and also I was shocked at how long Johnny was in the movie? Spike put him in there for the whole film, I thought he was going to be in it for like 5 mins, lmao.  Delroy definitely anchored the whole movie if it wasn't for him I'm not sure if it be any good. I like the chemistry between the bloods as well.  

Edited by OpiumKungFuCracker
  • Like 3

Frank Bolte

I watched all the interviews and Specials which can be found all over YouTube ..it made it way more interesting 

• Like 3

Haven't watched a good Spike Lee movie since Inside Man. I really enjoyed it. Great chemistry between the 5 main actors, and real interesting way of depicting the past when the members are re-imagining the events of the Vietnam War as aging vets going back to the battle field many years later to look for their fallen comrade and the gold buried and waiting to be found. 

Lindo was a great choice for leading the movie but I felt Boseman spiced it up quite nicely and, for me, was the true highlight despite the lack of screen presence. It's also quite violent but I got a bit turned off by the CGI muzzle flashes and the way it was lensed (digital film-making these days feels so cheap).

Overall, entertaining movie and one I wouldn't mind watching again.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

Ngo and Johnny Tri Nguyen were my two only reasons to watch this one in the first place. She's in it for maybe 2 minutes, and Nguyen, while getting more screen time, is totally wasted. I feel sorry for the time spent on this pretentious turd. Marvin Gaye could say more in a verse than Lee did in this whole movie.

• Like 2