Dragon Gate (1975)  

The Valiant Ones (1975)  

Raining in the Mountain (1979)  

The Juvenizer (1981)  

All the King's Men (1983)  

Painted Skin (1993)

• Like 3

ShawAngela

I hadn't realized that he had directed or written so many Shaw Brothers' movies !

Among his own movies, my favorite are The valiant ones, Dragon inn and The fate of Lee Khan, because they are the less slow of his action movies, if I remember well. I haven't revisited Raining in the mountain, Legend of the mountain and A touch of zen as yet, but I seem to remember that they were very slow.

Among his Shaw Brother's and other movies, my favorite are The story of Sue San, Sons of the Good Earth, Downhill they ride, Dragon gate and Painted skin.

What are your thoughts on King Hu and his movies ?

• Like 5

Iron_Leopard
On 5/16/2020 at 5:05 PM, ShawAngela said:

I hadn't realized that he had directed or written so many Shaw Brothers' movies !

Among his own movies, my favorite are The valiant ones, Dragon inn and The fate of Lee Khan, because they are the less slow of his action movies, if I remember well. I haven't revisited Raining in the mountain, Legend of the mountain and A touch of zen as yet, but I seem to remember that they were very slow.

Among his Shaw Brother's and other movies, my favorite are The story of Sue San, Sons of the Good Earth, Downhill they ride, Dragon gate and Painted skin.

What are your thoughts on King Hu and his movies ?

I thought Dragon Inn was post Shaw Brothers.

I really need to see more of his movies. I've only seen Come Drink With Me and A Touch of Zen.

• Like 1

A Life in Cinema: Interview with King Hu

: King Hu in His Own Words - (George Chun Han)

Link- https://www.academia.edu/40203392/A_Life_in_Cinema_Interview_with_King_Hu_Part_1

Hong Kong and Taiwan-based Chinese film director King Hu (C) walks May 22nd, 1975, in the streets of Cannes with actors Hsu-Feng (L)and Chiao Hung (R), who star in his film "Sha-Nu".

source- https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/hong-kong-and-taiwan-based-chinese-film-director-king-hu-news-photo/115096226

hong-kong-and-taiwanbased-chinese-film-director-king-hu-walks-may-in-picture-id115096226?s=2048x2048

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 5:59 PM, ShawAngela said:

Courtesy to hkmdb.

His filmography as a director :

The Story of Sue San (1964)    
    Sons of Good Earth (1965)    
    Come Drink with Me (1966)    
    Dragon Inn (1967)    
    Four Moods (1970)    
    A Touch of Zen (1971)    
    The Fate of Lee Khan (1973)    
    The Valiant Ones (1975)    
    Legend of the Mountain (1979)    
    Raining in the Mountain (1979)    
    The Juvenizer (1981)    
    The Wheel of Life (1983)    
    All the King's Men (1983)    
    Swordsman (1990)    

Painted Skin (1993)

There is also an unreleased/unfinished film he directed called "The Uncrowned Queen" from 1979.

It first showed in July 2012 at an exhibition in Taipei put together by the Taipei Film Archive called "Hu Shuo: Eight Ways - A New Biography of Hu Jinquan's Martial Arts".

Later, in early 2013, it showed in Hong Kong at a King Hu retrospective put on by the Hong Kong Film Archive called "Zen and Sense in King Hu's Films"

The film was discovered thanks to a mention by Sylvia Chang in an interview she did with the Taipei Film Archive. It is roughly 20 minutes of unedited footage starring both King Hu and Sylvia Chang.

Plot (machine translation):
The blueprint of the story comes from the female reporter Huang Shan, who re-met the teacher she had criticized during the Cultural Revolution in Vienna, the female reporter was both afraid and ashamed, and kept evading, and the teacher chased after her so much that she had a heart attack, but it turned out that he was not settling old scores, not only forgiving her, but also showing the distorted human nature of the times.

theuncrownedqueen.jpg.8ecd6bf9e41b89427f3f26fd6ba1f411.jpg

https://movie.douban.com/subject/20470108/

https://baike.baidu.com/item/无冕皇后/14594037

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201212/12/P201212120536_print.htm

Would be nice if this showed up as an extra on a home release at some point. Maybe if Juvenizer ever has a release.

• Like 4

On 6/19/2020 at 5:13 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

What's the difference between "Legend" and "Raining"? 

Raining in the Mountain is about a group of Buddhist monks who are candidates to become the next Abbot at the temple involving themselves in political manuvering in order to "win" the candidacy, while at the same time a hired criminal comes with one of the guests that the Abbot has invited, to help him make the choice on which candidate to choose, who is trying to steal a precious artifact stored at the temple. There is not a lot of martial arts, although there are a few fights scattered throughout the film and a long chase / fight scene at the end. The thief and her helper spend a lot of the film furtively running around the temple grounds in search of the artifact which creates a feeling of action and tension.

Legend of the Mountain is about a scholar who is tasked with copying Buddhist sutras and who makes a journey to a deserted fortress for privacy, only to find it is inhabited by some nosey people that do not allow him much privacy to complete the work and create an incredibly stressful environment, pushing him to get involved in things he doesn't want to. Eventually their reason for being there is discovered and a kind of spiritual battle begins.

• Like 2