Crazy Samurai Musashi (2020)

KCN9NE

JackieRome

I quite liked Re:Born, but this new project seems to me an exaggerated bluster to try to chase after and overcome The Raid and its like by exaggerating. Better 4 enemies and fought with beautiful choreographies than killing a population with repetitive moves, dark scenes and vague flavor of assembly line.  I hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JackieRome said:

I quite liked Re:Born, but this new project seems to me an exaggerated bluster to try to chase after and overcome The Raid and its like by exaggerating. Better 4 enemies and fought with beautiful choreographies than killing a population with repetitive moves, dark scenes and vague flavor of assembly line.  I hope I'm wrong. 

If I’m not mistaken this movie is actually old and was made before re:born. I don’t know why it’s taken this long to come out 

• Like 1

JackieRome
9 hours ago, KCN9NE said:

If I’m not mistaken this movie is actually old and was made before re:born. I don’t know why it’s taken this long to come out 

I don't know about that. I thought it was the new project after Re:born

• Like 1

I enjoyed it. It was actually refreshing to see a realistic sword fight as opposed to the cartoonish Lone Wolf & Cub type gore with geysers of arterial spray, bodies cut in half, etc. Props to Tak Sakaguchi for having the stamina to shoot that long take. It had to be exhausting...that's another thing I liked because it actually showed Musashi tired, taking deep breaths, swinging his sword defensively to conserve energy and so forth. Of course, one has to wonder why didn't the students of the Yoshioka dojo/clan just bum rush Musashi at once? I began to think perhaps it's seen as dishonorable to do that according to bushido but then again, isn't "bushido" just a romanticized myth perpetuated by Nitobe Inazo to appeal to the Western audience?

• Like 5

This is an INSANELY ambitious movie that has to be appreciated from a technical standpoint more than as a flat out martial arts movie. I'll get the obvious out of the way: the fighting in this film is the same thing over and over and OVER. There is very little variation save for a few moments here and there.

However, the fact it has a 77 minute action sequence is enough for me. There are a few hidden cuts here and there but nearly as many as you'd think. I think I spotted two or three and even then I'm not sure. Tak Sakaguchi is a monster in this movie. How he managed to keep the action and his performance up for almost 80 minutes I don't know. You can tell he's absolutely exhausted at times. In fact, the movie gives him time to stop and drink water on more than a few occasions. Which is less of a diversion from a plot and more a "He deserves it" moment.

What really needs to be appreciated is the camera work. It's so dynamic and captures everything so well. As does the sound design. I feel sorry for the person that had to add in the sword sounds. There's a billion of them
Yes, there is obvious corner cutting. You do see the same guys over and over and when they are hit, they run off screen rather than falling to the ground. But it's more than forgivable. 

I feel that less patient viewers will want to fast forward at times. The redundancy does get a bit trying and at times things get a little sloppy (there's no choreography to the fight scenes. It's more like LARPing).
Only the last five minutes gives us a properly choreographed fight scene and that is super brief. 

I felt like this was like a low budget arthouse film if that makes sense. It's one big experiment in film making and for that reason alone I really enjoyed it. Is it boring? Absolutely. Will I ever watch it again? Nope. But it really does deserve a massive amount of respect.

• Like 8

One Armed Boxer
On 5/12/2020 at 8:32 AM, KCN9NE said:

On 5/12/2020 at 5:53 PM, JackieRome said:

I don't know about that. I thought it was the new project after Re:born

@KCN9NE is right, the one-take was shot in 2011.

I got through watching this one recently, and pretty much agree with @Drunken Monk. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF which can be checked out via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/crazy-samurai-musashi-aka-crazy-samurai-400-vs-1-2020-review/

• Like 3