The order of Bruce Lee films you saw

BillyLo

On 8/7/2020 at 12:50 AM, Josh Baker said:

I'm really surprised a mainstream UK channel showed the Cantonese versions of these films! I wonder what the special occasion was?

I wonder if anybody has these TV recordings. I love seeing stuff like that with the adverts left in.

• Like 2

1. Enter The Dragon
  2. The Big Boss
  3. Fist of Fury
  4. Way of the Dragon
  5. Game of Death 

Most favorite of all the films is Way of the Dragon. :) 

• Like 4

I'm really surprised a mainstream UK channel showed the Cantonese versions of these films! I wonder what the special occasion was?

Back then CH4 gave a shit about old HK cinema and showed lots of movies. Thanks to them I got into Jackie Chan as they had a season of his films going on (Armour of God, Wheels on Meals, Project A I think).

These days CH4/Film4 just show more recent HK cinema which isn't a bad thing but I miss the days of BBC2/Ch4 showing old HK movies.

• Like 4

shukocarl1441996347

Jan 1974 Fist of Fury (Cinema- different opening credits uncut)

Jan 1974 Enter the Dragon (Cinema- cut )

May 1974 The Big Boss ( Cinema- English/Intl Version dub uncut)

July 1974 Way of the Dragon (Cinema - cut)

July 1976 Fist of Fury ( Cinema - new opening credits uncut)

July 1978 Game of Death (Cinema - cut)

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Wow ! That's very precise ! What a memory !!:bs_smile:

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Whens the first time you saw the uncut versions of Way of the Dragon and Enter the Dragon?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Back then CH4 gave a shit about old HK cinema and showed lots of movies. Thanks to them I got into Jackie Chan as they had a season of his films going on (Armour of God, Wheels on Meals, Project A I think).

These days CH4/Film4 just show more recent HK cinema which isn't a bad thing but I miss the days of BBC2/Ch4 showing old HK movies.

I don't really even notice them playing new HK movies anymore, apart from New Police Story occasionally, and even more occasionally the odd recent Donnie Yen film. TCM and ITV play First Strike, Rumble in the Bronx and Supercop occasionally (US versions of course.)

• Like 4

shukocarl1441996347
5 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Wow ! That's very precise ! What a memory !!:bs_smile:

That's about the only thing I can remember these days!

And they were life-changing films for me.

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347
4 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Whens the first time you saw the uncut versions of Way of the Dragon and Enter the Dragon?

Both in 1979. The Karate club I was a member of hired a 16mm print of Enter to screen for it's members and it turned out to be an uncut print, which was a great surprise. I saw the uncut Way for the first time at the first KFM convention, although I'd had a Super 8 version from Hong Kong (about15 mins) that showed most of the nunchaku scene. In 1980 I saw Way again in Mandarin and then in Spanish while on holiday there in 1983.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Both in 1979. The Karate club I was a member of hired a 16mm print of Enter to screen for it's members and it turned out to be an uncut print, which was a great surprise. I saw the uncut Way for the first time at the first KFM convention, although I'd had a Super 8 version from Hong Kong (about15 mins) that showed most of the nunchaku scene. In 1980 I saw Way again in Mandarin and then in Spanish while on holiday there in 1983.

I saw a Uncut Special Edition 35mm print of Enter the Dragon at the Prince Charles Cinema in London about a year ago. I've never seen a film in 16mm so I cant visualise that in my mind, is it less sharp and grainier? I guess Super 8 is a lot grainier! 

I guess the prints you saw in the 80s must've been beaten up from all the rounds they did in the last decade...

• Like 3

1: Game Of Death, Scala Cinema 1978

2: Enter The Dragon Unit 6 Cinema Wallasey (on a double bill with Death Race 2000) around 1979?

3:Fist Of Fury/Way Of The Dragon ABC Lime Street (all night kung fu cinema club showing, Fist was cut, Way was uncut) around 1980

4: The Big Boss A bit hazy on this one, may have been on Shaolin Video Bootleg VHS around 1981-1982?

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347
17 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

I saw a Uncut Special Edition 35mm print of Enter the Dragon at the Prince Charles Cinema in London about a year ago. I've never seen a film in 16mm so I cant visualise that in my mind, is it less sharp and grainier? I guess Super 8 is a lot grainier! 

I guess the prints you saw in the 80s must've been beaten up from all the rounds they did in the last decade...

The 16mm print was extremely good except at the beginning/end of the reels which always used to get damaged. Super 8 was good too (especially the German ones) though the HK "Way" one was grainy but very watchable.

• Like 4

Killer Meteor

When I saw them, they were just shoved on after midnight, no fanfare.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

When I saw them, they were just shoved on after midnight, no fanfare.

Yeah that's exactly the same thing I've experienced man- except for Enter the Dragon or Rush Hour on TCM occasionally haha

• Like 3

Not BL but terrible experience seeing 007 MR vintage print 2 yrs ago : 30 mins was missing from the film......i guess they didnt notice it when they found it in storage - honestly we shouldve gotten refunds :/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coliseum1972 said:

Not BL but terrible experience seeing 007 MR vintage print 2 yrs ago : 30 mins was missing from the film......i guess they didnt notice it when they found it in storage - honestly we shouldve gotten refunds :/

That's a disgrace lol- what parts were missing?

Plus arent cinemas supposed to do a test run of their prints before they show them?

• Like 2

Lets see:

1. "The Big Boss(1971)": My dad got me this one and "Fist of Fury" together in a VHS box set(I still have them) when I was 5-6 years old. Loved it so much that I instantly became a Bruce Lee and Martial Art movie fan for life. Its still in my top ten favorite martial Arts movie. 
  2. "Fist Of Fury(1972)": When I was younger, I actually liked 'The Big Boss" way more than this one, but that has changed over the years. Now which one is my favorite Flip-Flops back and forth, but these two are defiantly my favorite of Bruce Lee's films. 
  3. "Enter the Dragon(1973)": I remember seeing this one on cable back in the 90s or early 00s. Its a pretty good movie. I prefer The Big Boss and Fist of Fury more, because of the grittiness of those two films, but I still really like it. 
  4. "Way of the Dragon(1973)": I finally got to see this movie when I bought the "Bruce Lee Ultimate box set(Set from 2005)". I'm going to be honest, this is probably the Bruce Lee film I like the least. Its not as brutal or gritty as any of the other films, and I find some of the comedy elements a little off-putting. But, we get to see Bruce Lee fight Chuck Norris, so that makes the whole film worth watching.
  5. "Game of Death(1978)": I actually saw the last 20 minutes or so(The stuff with Bruce Lee in it) on YouTube prior to seeing the whole film. When I got the Box Set I mentioned above, I finally got to see the strange Frankenstein-Like film that they threw together and...it was pretty weird. lol Using Bruce Lee's actual funeral footage was a tad morbid. Honestly, I usually just go to the scenes with him in it at the end and skip the rest of this mess.  
  • Like 4

I was fortunate enough to see them in order actually. With the help of that beautiful blue dvd boxset from walmart, Im sure many know which one Im talking about without me even needing to elaborate. And I realize many frown on that boxset, but its a killer introduction for a good price. I didnt even give the sequence much thought, just made sense to watch them in order of release date. Then of course Enter The Dragon isnt included where you have to track down a copy separately when you cant get enough Bruce Lee. 

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 5

On 1/10/2021 at 12:27 PM, saltysam said:

In the video era, this was one of the first Bruce videos i had (on betamax)

What was the Green Hornet feature like on this tape?.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

What was the Green Hornet feature like on this tape?.

It was a single episode "The Silent Gun" . Tape also had the US trailer for Way Of The Dragon and the fantastic US Trailer for New One Swordsman, retitled Triple Irons. It stuck with me so much down the years my email handle is tripleirons2005 :smile

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

For anyone interested, these are the (Bruce Lee) double bills I personally saw in the good old cinema showings:

The Big Boss/Demons of the Mind

The Big Boss/Something about Greek Resistance Fighters in WW2

The Big Boss/One Armed Boxer

The Big Boss/Game of Death

Fist of Fury/Tower of Evil

Fist of Fury/Via Singapore

Fist of Fury/Hapkido

Fist of Fury/The Amsterdam Kill

Fist of Fury/Way of the Dragon

Way of the Dragon/Back Alley Princess

Way of the Dragon/Electra-Glide in Blue

Way of the Dragon/Fist of Fury