The order of Bruce Lee films you saw

BillyLo

Can anyone remember which Bruce Lee film you watched first and the order you watched the others in? Which ones are your favourites and why? Being somewhat younger than most fans, I can remember the whole order I watched his films in. I first saw Enter the Dragon on television, which sparked my interest and immediately went out to buy the VHS. After Enter the Dragon, this is the order I watched them in:

Fist of Fury

A Warrior's Journey (strange that I saw the original Game of Death footage before the 78 version)

Game of Death (after watching A Warrior's Journey, I immediately sought out the 78 film out of curiosity and fell in love with this version even though I was aware how much of the original film was missing and to make matters worse, the British VHS had the entire nunchaku sequence cut out but I watched it over and over and developed an obsessive love for John Barry's soundtrack, which I proudly own on vinyl and the fight with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar remains my favourite in Lee's entire filmography)

The Big Boss (I watched this immediately after Game of Death on the same day. I can remember bringing the two tapes home with me with so much excitement and had a Bruce Lee double bill all by myself in my room)

Finally, I watched Way of the Dragon. Although I love the fight with Chuck, this one has failed to make such an impact on me as his other films have. My preferred way to view the film is the Japanese theatrical cut since the alternative soundtrack enhances the film a great deal, something which is lacking in the Hong Kong and international prints. I did watch Game of Death 2 after this but I never considered that to be a Bruce Lee film. Game of Death 1 still felt somewhat real since he was actually in it. I do love Game of Death 2, however, which I consider one the best Brucesploitation films.

After all these years, my favourite is still Enter the Dragon (the theatrical cut being my preferred version) and the one I recommend to people who are just getting into Bruce Lee. My second favourite is Game of Death. I know it sounds like a sin to rate it so highly but, despite all its problems, for me there's something magic about the build-up until we get the best cameo in film history. I've probably watched Game of Death more times than anything else in all its different versions and it's probably a passion that will stay with me, despite people finding it strange. I can't wait to see the new edit of Game of Death in the criterion set. Bruce Lee's original footage with my favourite John Barry soundtrack all in one? Sounds too good to be true!

My favourite of his earlier films? A bit of a difficult choice between The Big Boss and Fist of Fury but The Big Boss might just edge it. 

• Like 6

ShawAngela
5 hours ago, BillyLo said:

My preferred way to view the film is the Japanese theatrical cut since the alternative soundtrack enhances the film a great deal, something which is lacking in the Hong Kong and international prints.

Do you mean that the Japanese version is longer than the other versions ?

The first movie I saw was The way of the dragon on TV.

Then, I bought the VHS and watched Fist of fury, The big boss and much later, Game of death.

I saw Enter the dragon on TV too, and bought the dvd later.

My three favorite movies are FIst of fury, Big boss and Enter the dragon.

• Like 3

Josh Baker

Enter the Dragon blew me away on first watch.

Round my grandmother's house was a tape of The Big Boss, so immediately watched that.

At Christmas my parents bought me the Bruce Lee Boxset, in invaluable presents, and proceeded to watch the other three films: Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon and Game of Death.

• Like 3

In order:

CHINESE CONNECTION (FIST OF FURY) (favorite)

THE BIG BOSS

ENTER THE DRAGON

WAY OF THE DRAGON

GAME OF DEATH

• Like 3

Fist of fury......loved it and still do

Big boss......hated it and still do

Enter the dragon.....loved it and still do

Way of the dragon(heavily cut).....apart from finale hated it

Game of death 78(cut).....loved it and still do

Game of death 78(uncut).....loved it even more and still do

Way of the dragon(uncut).....much better but still not a fan

Game of death original.....Oh what could have been.

Edited by sym8
  • Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

I'm an old sod so indulge me:

Jan 1974 FIST OF FURY (before the cuts)

Jan 1974 ENTER THE DRAGON (again before the cuts)

April 1974 THE BIG BOSS (before the cuts)

June 1974 WAY OF THE DRAGON (with the cuts)

July 1978 GAME OF DEATH (with the cuts)

All theatrical UK versions. The Fist of Fury print was unique...never saw that version again.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

The Fist of Fury print was unique...never saw that version again

What was unique about it?I’m intrigued.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
2 hours ago, sym8 said:

What was unique about it?I’m intrigued.

There wasn't either of the usual credit sequences, the credits played over the graveyard scene with a credit for Cathay Films, the rest of the film was the same as far as I can remember except there wasn't the romantic scene between Lee & Nora Miao. I first saw that in the re-release in 1976 with the "black" credit sequence.

• Like 4

Order I saw them (and the titles they were when I saw them):

- The Chinese Connection

- The Big Boss

- Enter the Dragon

- Game of Death

- Return of the Dragon 

• Like 4

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

All theatrical UK versions. The Fist of Fury print was unique...never saw that version again.

Nice to see you back on the forum's @shukocarl.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

Nice to see you back on the forum's @shukocarl.

Thanks. I do keep up with the posts here though! ;-)

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347
1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

Way of The Dragon

Enter The Dragon

Fist of Fury

The Big Boss

Game of Death

Theatrical showings or videos?

• Like 2

Josh Baker
3 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

7 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I didnt realise Game of Death was released in UK cinemas with cuts already in place?

• Like 1

DragonClaws
Just now, shukocarl1441996347 said:

I viewed them all on video, nothing like the big screen experience.

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347
6 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

I didnt realise Game of Death was released in UK cinemas with cuts already in place?

Nunchaku's and other trims.

• Like 2

Josh Baker
9 minutes ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

I know but I thought it was only done for the '80s VHS releases

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker
1 hour ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

I watched the re-release of Enter The Dragon at the alamo drafthouse a few years ago. I think it was the cut version and not the one it was released in the 70s. 

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
2 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Double Nunchcks and  screams from the multiple Lee heads were missing (censored screams...god knows why)

Complete nunchaku fight 

Frames removed when Lee breaks Ji's back

Groin grab on Jabbar

End credits re-edited to remove double nunchucks footage.

• Like 3

Enter the Dragon

The Big Boss (as Fists of Fury)

Way of the Dragon (as Return of the Dragon)

Fist of Fury (as The Chinese Connection)

Game of Death

OBS: Those last three were watched more or less over the course of a week after I bought the FOX VHS 4-pack for 50 bucks back around 1996.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

ShawAngela
7 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

WAY OF THE DRAGON (with the cuts)

This movie has been cut too ?

What is missing in it ?

40 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

What is missing in it ?

I believe it's the scene near the beginning when Bruce walks off with the white girl. She takes him to her apartment and it would appear that she's actually a prostitute. She undresses for him and he leaves...or something. I know there's some brief nudity involved.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
55 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

What is missing in it ?

I'm talking about the 1974 UK theatrical version that had around 7-8 minutes removed. All of the fight scenes were horribly censored. Everything else was intact. The BBFC went to town on this title and then re-called the other Lee films and removed lots from them too.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BillyLo said:

My second favourite is Game of Death. I know it sounds like a sin to rate it so highly but, despite all its problems, for me there's something magic about the build-up until we get the best cameo in film history. I've probably watched Game of Death more times than anything else in all its different versions and it's probably a passion that will stay with me, despite people finding it strange. I can't wait to see the new edit of Game of Death in the criterion set. Bruce Lee's original footage with my favourite John Barry soundtrack all in one? Sounds too good to be true!

The thing about Barry's score is that it is such an integral piece of the Game of Death jigsaw. If you listen carefully, the compositions, sonically relay the Game of Death story. It's incredible.

Truly great composers have to be storytellers in their own right. They must possess the ability to tell the stories they see on screen through their actual musical compositions.  Barry, along with veterans like John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Brad Fiedel and Joseph Harnell were exceptional at this. This is pure conjecture on my part, but because Barry's score is so beautifully precise, I'm inclined to believe that he must have studied the full footage before it was chopped up. It coulda been serendipity, but I doubt it.

Thanks for your interest in Game of Death Redux. Hope you enjoy it. :BL-ThumbsUp:

• Like 3