Wong Jing and Donnie Yen’s upcoming wuxia actioner ‘The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber’

mpm74

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JackieRome

I foresee cables and digital go-go effects. That Sword Of Destiny shit teaches. Hopefully, Wong Jing is never to be trusted... even if the last one they did as a couple wasn't bad.

2 hours ago, mpm74 said:

Prolific Hong Kong director Wong Jing (Chasing the Dragon) re-teams with Donnie Yen in The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber, a wuxia actioner based on the novel by famous Hong Kong writer, Louis Cha.

Wong Jing already tackled the material with Jet Li's Kung Fu Cult Master. It'd be pretty funny if this were the follow-up we never got, made almost 3 decades after the fact (not too unlike The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, which was a follow up to New Dragon Inn almost 20 years later).

JackieRome
20 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Wong Jing already tackled the material with Jet Li's Kung Fu Cult Master

But does it deserve a vision? I always thought it was shit...

9 minutes ago, JackieRome said:

But does it deserve a vision? I always thought it was shit...

It's wuxia literature, so it's always game for a new adaptation, just as we'll never stop getting adaptations of Dracula and Frankenstein here in the West.

The source material was adapted into two Shaw Brothers films in 1978, the Jet Li film in 1993 and a couple of TV series. 

Drunken Monk
3 hours ago, DiP said:

I hope Donnie does the action choreography.

I’d love to see Donnie tackle some wuxia swordplay.

7 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I’d love to see Donnie tackle some wuxia swordplay.

Donnie had some input on the action in Butterfly & Sword, and 14 Blades. But I would love to see him choreograph wuxia swordplay/action completely. He did a marvelous job on The Lost Bladesman but that's an ancient war epic.

Main roles: Donnie Yen (Zhang Sanfeng), Louis Koo (Zhang Cuishan), Raymond Lam (Zhang Wuji).

Supporting roles: Janice Man (Zhao Min), Sabrina Qiu (Zhou Zhiruo), Alex Fong (Yang Xiao), Jade Leung, Wilfred Lau, Elvis Tsui, Felix Lolk, and Xing Yu.

1 hour ago, DiP said:

Main roles: Donnie Yen (Zhang Sanfeng), Louis Koo (Zhang Cuishan), Raymond Lam (Zhang Wuji).

Donnie's playing the role Sammo played in Kung Fu Cult Master and that Jet Li played in Tai Chi Master: the legendary founder of tai chi chuan. Considering Donnie's pedigree, that's wholly appropriate. I wonder if they'll make his role bigger than Sammo's because of his star.

Archived